Renew your adult passport
Most people can renew their adult NZ passport online. It costs $180 and takes up to 10 working days.
Renew your adult passport online
To renew your passport online you must:
- be 16 or older
- already have a passport, even if it's expired or has been lost, stolen or damaged, and
- not have changed your name while outside of New Zealand, or changed your gender since your last passport was issued.
You can apply online if you want to:
- renew a current or expired passport
- change your name on your passport — if you've changed it within NZ, or
- replace a lost, stolen or damaged passport.
You need to answer some questions before you can start your application.
You'll need a RealMe login — if you don't have one you can set this up during your application.
If you can't renew your passport online
You can use a paper application form if you can't renew your passport online, or if you don't have access to the internet. There are two forms you can use to renew your passport — it depends on your situation.
Use the Adult Renewal application form if you're 16 or over and:
- you need to renew a current or expired passport
- your name hasn't changed since your last passport was issued
- your passport has not been lost, stolen or damaged
- your New Zealand passport is a diplomatic or official passport.
Use the Adult Passport application form if you're 16 or over and:
- your passport has been lost, stolen or damaged
- you've changed your name since your last passport was issued
- you've changed your gender since your last passport was issued
- you've got an endorsement printed on the observation page of your most recent New Zealand passport, or you'll need one in your renewed passport.
If you need to travel urgently
If you need to travel in a hurry you can apply to have your passport renewed urgently. It costs $360 and is processed within 3 working days.
You can also get help in an emergency if you're travelling or living outside NZ.