National Library of New Zealand
Harvested by the National Library of New Zealand on: Oct 16 2017 at 7:30:11 GMT
Search boxes and external links may not function. Having trouble viewing this page? Click here
Close Minimize Help
Wayback Machine
The Department of Internal Affairs

The Department of Internal Affairs

Te Tari Taiwhenua

Building a safe, prosperous and respected nation


Services › Rates Rebate Scheme › What constitutes income?

'Income' means money received, before tax, during the income tax year ended 31 March preceding the start of the rating year.

'Income' does not include:

  • Cash grants/capital payments
  • Family tax credits (formerly family support)
  • War widow’s or war disablement benefits
  • Medal or honour payments
  • Grants for funeral expenses
  • Prizes and winnings.
See our Classification of Benefits and Allowances table for an extensive list of benefits and allowances provided by Work and Income, Inland Revenue and the Ministry of Health, and whether they are classified as 'income' or otherwise under the Rates Rebate Act 1973: *This document is in Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) format. You need to have the Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer. You can download a free version from the Adobe site.

Beneficiaries and pensioners

If you were granted a benefit or pension (but not New Zealand Superannuation, ACC earnings compensation, or job seeker support benefits) during the last income tax year ended 31 March 2017:
  • You do not need to declare income earned before the benefit/pension was granted.
You do need to declare:
  • What the full amount of the benefit/pension is per year;
  • What income you earned after it was granted.

Self Employed

Declare your net business income (as you would for tax) for the tax year ended 31 March 2017.

Please note that, for rates rebates purposes, a business loss cannot be used to offset income received from other sources.

Partner and/or joint home owner/s who were living with you on 1 July of the rating year of your application

List the income (for the tax year ended 31 March 2017) of your partner or any joint home owner who were usually living with you on 1 July 2017.