National Library of New Zealand
Harvested by the National Library of New Zealand on: May 26 2017 at 23:36:41 GMT
Search boxes and external links may not function. Having trouble viewing this page? Click here
Close Minimize Help
Wayback Machine

Author Topic: NHL: No punishment for Wayne Simmonds after alleged homophobic slur  (Read 152 times)

Offline perrin

• ----
The NHL has had a bit of controversy regarding a player whose job it is to piss off other players - getting called the F word due to him defending gay rights in the media and being pro gay marriage in NY.

The article below contains a cute letter written by a fan.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/NHL-No-punishment-for-Wayne-Simmonds-after-alle?urn=nhl-wp13561

Hi, my name is David, and I'm a gay hockey fan. Every day during the season I'm poring over highlights and stats, and each day in the offseason I hunt the internet for every shred of information on my team. While I don't know the names of each of the 600+ players that will be on a starting roster, I do know one thing: at least one of you is gay. I need to ask you a favour, and it's a bit of a big one.

Please, please, please come out.

We're an invisible minority. People assume that since they can't tell who we are on sight, we don't exist. So far, there are no gay people in North American pro sports, we're just not there. But you can change that. You can instantly become a role model to thousands of young men who are afraid of continuing in sports that they love for fear of being outed and cast out. You can be a beacon, a trailblazer. You can make history.

You may say "I'd rather be known for my skill", but you already are. You're in the best league in the best sport in the world, and no-one will be able to take away the fact that you've made it there on your own merits.

You may say "It'll be a distraction", but people have said that about the religions of Nazem Kadri(notes) and James Reimer(notes). People said that about the race of Willie O'Ree and Grant Fuhr. People said that about the language of the Russians, and the Swedes, and the Czechs.

It won't be easy, but it will be worth it. Your first game after you come out, someone will call you a faggot or a nancy. There are a million terms, and you've probably heard them all. But this time it will be specific and targeted.

Your response? Beat the hell out of him. Drop the gloves, right away. Show him that just because you're gay, it doesn't mean you're soft. Quite the opposite in fact. Show him and show everyone that you won't back down. Your teammates will support you. Who wants to be the guy who gives up on a teammate who's just done something courageous?

Come out. The biggest reward comes from taking the biggest risks. I don't know who you are yet, but I hope that will change.

That is a pretty awesome letter

Offline Jim

• Addicted Boarder
  • breathe through the pain
Good letter.   Maybe though this gay jock could kiss the guy calling him a faggot and make him like it. Better than beating him up.

Offline calum_v2

• Dragon boaters like it wet, with long deep hard strokes
  • I Sleep Here !
  • I'm lushed- blame the dragon boat team ;-)
Years ago, when I was living and working in Australia, one of the people working for the same organisation, thought in a different department (but good friends with one of my workmates) would make very anti-gay comments when around me.  One time, at after work drinks, I replied with

You'd love it, wouldn't you.  You'd love me to take you over to the bogs and watch the sweat form on the small of your back as I slowly fuck you up the arse.  You'd absolutely love it.  Well, mate, it's not gonna happen.  You may think you're "gods gift to women" and think that everyone wants you, when the truth is no one would touch you with a barge pole.  Some of us have taste.   So just fuck off, get a life, and go climb back under the pile of horse shit you climbed out of".

Everyone within earshot was laughing at him.  Even his best mate. 

He never said anything to me again.

NZAF - the only organisation to award someone for sleeping through Board meetings and opposing their mission.

Offline perrin

• ----
Good letter.   Maybe though this gay jock could kiss the guy calling him a faggot and make him like it. Better than beating him up.

Fighting is a normal aspect of Hockey.  If used in this instance it would be used as a "look how normal I am" thing as opposed to how it is viewed in mainstream society as inappropriate violence.  In hockey - fighting is used to fire your team up, fighters even have a code of honour to not injure somebody if at all possible.

Years ago, when I was living and working in Australia, one of the people working for the same organisation, thought in a different department (but good friends with one of my workmates) would make very anti-gay comments when around me.  One time, at after work drinks, I replied with

You'd love it, wouldn't you.  You'd love me to take you over to the bogs and watch the sweat form on the small of your back as I slowly fuck you up the arse.  You'd absolutely love it.  Well, mate, it's not gonna happen.  You may think you're "gods gift to women" and think that everyone wants you, when the truth is no one would touch you with a barge pole.  Some of us have taste.   So just fuck off, get a life, and go climb back under the pile of horse shit you climbed out of".

Everyone within earshot was laughing at him.  Even his best mate. 

He never said anything to me again.

That is so awesome