National Library of New Zealand
Harvested by the National Library of New Zealand on: Nov 9 2016 at 18:37:36 GMT
Search boxes and external links may not function. Having trouble viewing this page? Click here
Close Minimize Help
Wayback Machine

Author Topic: Lesbian/Gay Friendly Accommodation in Johannesburg  (Read 136 times)

Offline elorac

• Regular Boarder
I'm stopping off in J'burg for a night in April. Can anyone recommend a B&B that is Lesbian/Gay friendly and a great place to stay? Not too expensive, either.  ^-^

Thanks
Practise random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

Offline elorac

• Regular Boarder
Re: Lesbian/Gay Friendly Accommodation in Johannesburg
« Reply #1 on: 13 Apr 11, 09:26:pm »
Nobody replied to my post  :(  but that's ok  ^-^ I've since found a gay friendly B&B in J'burg by the name of Sunflowers  :D Looking forward to my trip  :)
Practise random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

Offline The Don

• I Sleep Here !
« Reply #2 on: 13 Apr 11, 09:47:pm »
Just be careful in Jo'burg - it's an unbelievably dangerous place.  Do your homework first and take the safety warnings with absolute seriousness.   The B&B will (hopefully) be in a compound a long way from the city - and don't under any circumstances leave it alone after dark - and only then if you really trust the people that you're with to navigate your way through the dangers.  If it's not on a compound, or if it's in the central city, in all seriousness, cancel your booking now.  

Even during the day, the place is worst hellhole I've ever experienced.  Your life is worth less than the price of a mobile phone, your credit cards may get skimmed in shops and cafes and don't make eye-contact with anyone. 

Capetown and Durban present their own dangers but are much safer.

Offline swit012

• Hardcore Boarder
« Reply #3 on: 14 Apr 11, 10:06:pm »
Eeek! I googled that place and the suburb doesn't sound safe to me. The b&b is *not* inside an estate and there have been hijackings and muggings reported.

I don't mean to sound alarmist but if you stay there do not leave the premises and do not accept unsolicited transportation from the airport. Call a reputable taxi company or get a local to drive you.

I'll do a quick check and see if I can find something better.

Offline The Don

• I Sleep Here !
« Reply #4 on: 15 Apr 11, 12:32:am »
I just saw that that's in Kempton Park which is a 'safer' area of Jo'burg.  

If you're going to skimp on accommodation costs (frankly I think you're mad taking a risk staying anywhere that's not inside a compound, gated development or secure hotel complex) as Swit says, don't think of cutting back on your budget transport costs.   Buses, trains, shared taxi-vans and unlicensed taxis are completely off limits for foreign nationals.   Licensed taxis are bloody expensive, but your only option (unless you hire a car - dodgy if you aren't completely certain of your way round).   Driving around the city can be bloody scary too - in just one day we had more near-misses with other vehicles than I care to think about.   The cars and taxis don't stop at a huge amount of junctions and traffic lights because of the enormous risk of car-jacking.  

I was due to stay there for a week en route from Capetown to Durban.  After one day and a complete lack of freedom, we changed our itinery and got the fuck out of there. Jo'berg City and the surrounding provinces are mighty impressive, but I wouldn't go back there again if you paid me.

Offline swit012

• Hardcore Boarder
« Reply #5 on: 15 Apr 11, 07:48:am »
I just got back from a whirlwind 3 week tour of South Africa that involved me driving 3500km in a rental car. It was fun, but I would advise a great deal of caution to anyone travelling there. Please just keep your wits about you and don't do anything at night. I found myself driving through a squatter camp at around 6pm and my spider sense was tingling something chronic.

I have found sa-venues to be a reliable source of information for booking places:
http://www.sa-venues.com/maps/gauteng_venue_map.htm

Personally, I wouldn't pay less than R500 ($100) for accommodation (more in the cities), but perhaps that's just me being picky.

eXctrik

« Reply #6 on: 15 Apr 11, 08:43:am »
Apparently if I was ever to go, I'd end up with broken legs before I even get there

Offline JaseWGTN

• Hardcore Boarder
  • Jasey waves....
« Reply #7 on: 15 Apr 11, 09:01:am »
It's in an ok area and right next to the airport, but I would heed the advise and perhaps look at staying someone more "secure"

Jo'burg is a shit hole, and when I was there I couldn't wait to get out of the city!  I was just so tense and on edge the whole time I was there, the vibe just isn't nice at all.