National Library of New Zealand
Harvested by the National Library of New Zealand on: Nov 9 2016 at 18:34:44 GMT
Search boxes and external links may not function. Having trouble viewing this page? Click here
Close Minimize Help
Wayback Machine

Author Topic: Sydney Mardi Gras 2011  (Read 181 times)

Offline swit012

• Hardcore Boarder
Sydney Mardi Gras 2011
« on: 07 Mar 11, 11:45:pm »
I was going to post something long, eloquent and detailed about my trip to Sydney for Mardi Gras, but then I got distracted.

Does anyone have a Mardi Gras experience / photos they would like to share. I offer this picture from the 2011 "drag" races at Bondi beach.

I am the one on the right :P

I was really enamoured of this particular drag queen. He was so good natured and gracious in defeat as second runner up in the "drag" races. So many people imposed on him for a photo, so I felt guilty asking for this one. I hope that when I am his age I am as brave as he is =D

Offline The Don

• I Sleep Here !
Re: Sydney Mardi Gras 2011
« Reply #1 on: 08 Mar 11, 12:21:am »
I wouldn't feel guilty - you can grab a photo with Steven Oates most Friday and Saturday nights - or whenever there's the opening of a sparkly envelope.
 >:D

(sorry Miss Sparkle if you read this!)

Offline tones

• Addicted Boarder
« Reply #2 on: 08 Mar 11, 05:36:pm »
a picture says a thousands words as they say Swit!

Mr Oates is totally the gay equivilent of Judy Bailey (mother of the nation)
Tones Malones est. 1998

sigih back

« Reply #3 on: 08 Mar 11, 05:42:pm »
i dont know that i agree with that tones...:)

Offline tones

• Addicted Boarder
« Reply #4 on: 08 Mar 11, 05:47:pm »
Maybe it's more to do with when I came out?

Sounds really bizzare leaving this on a public forum, but ... I used to watch Queer Nation (albeit v. secretly) and it was like Steven was the only gay person who I knew for a long time because he was on tv every week.

Tones Malones est. 1998

Offline Matt Akersten

• I Sleep Here !
  • Proud Kiwi now living in Sydney
« Reply #5 on: 08 Mar 11, 08:29:pm »
That's lovely, Tones. Richard Huntington and Charles Bracewell were similar for me... those first gay voices in my ear every week via my little radio on bFM when I was a teenager.

I love and miss Steven Oates, I always found him to be one of the most genuine and community-minded people active on the NZ gay scene. Yes it sometimes seems like he's MCing at every event going... but that's because he's asked to, and he's always keen to help a charity.

Anyway, I loved the Mardi Gras this year, but did spare a thought for you guys - I would have loved being at the Big Gay Out but things were just too full-on here in Sydney. xx

Offline calum_v2

• Dragon boaters like it wet, with long deep hard strokes
  • I Sleep Here !
  • I'm lushed- blame the dragon boat team ;-)
« Reply #6 on: 09 Mar 11, 01:01:am »
That's lovely, Tones. Richard Huntington and Charles Bracewell were similar for me... those first gay voices in my ear every week via my little radio on bFM when I was a teenager.

I love and miss Steven Oates, I always found him to be one of the most genuine and community-minded people active on the NZ gay scene. Yes it sometimes seems like he's MCing at every event going... but that's because he's asked to, and he's always keen to help a charity.

Anyway, I loved the Mardi Gras this year, but did spare a thought for you guys - I would have loved being at the Big Gay Out but things were just too full-on here in Sydney. xx

But you are coming over for the gay games?  I should have my new hairstyle ;) by then

NZAF - the only organisation to award someone for sleeping through Board meetings and opposing their mission.