National Library of New Zealand
Harvested by the National Library of New Zealand on: Oct 10 2015 at 17:38:15 GMT
Search boxes and external links may not function. Having trouble viewing this page? Click here
Close Minimize Help
Wayback Machine

Author Topic: Cheers to the volunteers!  (Read 493 times)

Offline Matt Akersten

• I Sleep Here !
  • Proud Kiwi now living in Sydney
Cheers to the volunteers!
« on: 30 Sep 08, 05:25:pm »
I just added an article on volunteerism... I'm keen for all your thoughts on it!

Cheers to the volunteers!

So much of what we take for granted in our communities only happens through the hard work of willing volunteers – but are they a dying breed?

http://www.gaynz.com/articles/publish/35/article_6554.php

Offline crashe

• I Sleep Here !
Re: Cheers to the volunteers!
« Reply #1 on: 30 Sep 08, 06:58:pm »
Well as a volunteer at the very first Big Gay Out day that Adee Keil organised and a number of other BGO's  (last one  was before Jonathan Smith went to the UK).
I can say that I had fun but very tired afterwards as I volunteered my time all day...

(First BGO, I was there at 6.30am clearing out some party goers who were asleep in the grounds, setting up, making sure all the punters went to the correct stalls, walking around picking up rubbish, traffic control, packing up at the end of the day, delivering stuff back to the owners... and I dumped off the orange cones at 1.30am the following morning) I can say that this never happened for future volunteers again... I was shattered and stuffed and blardy sunburnt!

Plus I volunteered and helped for many other glbt events over the years.
I also volunteered at 'Wigs on the Waterfront' and also the 'Wigarama'.

I can say that I had fun at all.. at events/functions you can get to be up front and see all the action... if you are out the back then you dont see what is happening out front..but you get to see what happens out back and that can be so funny and great.

So volunteer for 1 hour or 2 hours or even more if you can...