National Library of New Zealand
Harvested by the National Library of New Zealand on: Apr 12 2015 at 14:37:11 GMT
Search boxes and external links may not function. Having trouble viewing this page? Click here
Close Minimize Help
Wayback Machine

Author Topic: "This is not just another beauty pageant"  (Read 650 times)

bpkiwinz

Re: "This is not just another beauty pageant"
« Reply #30 on: 12 Feb 13, 06:34:pm »
GayNZ posted information from Andreas Darleth that contestants were being sought.  I don't have a problem with the competition at all.  I don't approach it with prejudice or envy, nor am I surprised that people don't want to do it half naked.  There are lots of events in our community that honour those who have shaken the collection buckets.  This was Mr Gay New Zealand, which is not one of them.  So, do we accept that the competition exists, do we complain about it and have it banned, do we take out the flesh screening, or do we encourage those we want to see enter to enter?

Lots of events?  Such as what?  Do any of them get sashes or titles?

It still goes back to the fact that four people entered.  One then pulled out.  It could be a big epic event, but it was barely a blip, and a website posting info and asking facebook friends is hardly extensive marketing.

I know people who will whip their shirts off at the first sign of heat or light and would proudly strut their stuff in front of a crowd, however they have no interest in visiting schools.  I know people who are going to base a political career on their extensive community work, gay and otherwise, but have the fashion sense of a high school teacher in the eighties. 

I don't know of any people who are both, and as it seems, neither do many other people.

Offline AJ77

• Regular Boarder
« Reply #31 on: 12 Feb 13, 06:46:pm »
You're very bitter about this. I'm sorry, I didn't come here to debate, rather look at this with a positive light. I'll leave you to your unfavourable view. You're entitled to it, of course.

bpkiwinz

« Reply #32 on: 12 Feb 13, 06:54:pm »
What were those other community awards you mentioned?

Three people were in the competition.  Three.  Its apathy at its best, and embarrassing at its worst.

I believe though that if they either decided to go balls out fun "show us your sexy" side they would get a huge response, just as much as if they went serious, like a Duke of Edinborough award.

I am just throwing ideas out there, if that makes me bitter, so be it.

Offline ABx

• Hardcore Boarder
  • "Hi!"
« Reply #33 on: 12 Feb 13, 08:54:pm »
I think it's cool to have a Mr Gay NZ etc, and Mr Gay World, but anyone who wins a competition by stripping their clothes off in a nightclub needs to keep it realistic. Role model? Gay ambassador? Queer rights activist? No.  :D

(Sure, they could already be role models or gay ambassadors or queer rights activists, but they aren't those things exclusively from winning a Mr Gay comp.)
« Last Edit: 12 Feb 13, 09:30:pm by ABx »
"How can the train be lost?  It's on tracks."

Offline rightside

• Regular Boarder
« Reply #34 on: 12 Feb 13, 09:34:pm »
It would appear that you also do not have the time or skill set to acquaint yourself with events like the Mr Bear NZ competition run by the lads from Urge, where six packs and waxed torsos tend to be the exception rather than the rule, ( but generally does involve displays of partially naked bodies and leads to claims of being a role model to other members of the gay community ), or the annual grants made by the GABA Charitable Trust to recognise the contributions made by individuals or groups to the gay community. But then why would you........far easier to attempt to put a downer on an event which is enjoyed by those who believe there is more to life than being a sad sack and looking for the negatives in everything.

bpkiwinz

« Reply #35 on: 12 Feb 13, 10:08:pm »
Cheer up you miserable old baggage! It's not the end of the world if people don't like what you like and don't agree with everything you say. You must be a nightmare to watch a tv show with!

Yet to see a bear competition where
Everyone always wore a shirt, much less pants.

And is really my fault I don't know about the GABA trust award or is this quiet understated ceremony barely mentioned outside of the actual day it is on?  Where is the congratulations pics on the gaynz side bar?

But hey, sorry I bothered to add a dissenting voice to your website discussion, this is literally the busiest thread you have had this year, if not longer, but I will leave you to your super optimist, rose coloured glasses of utter apathy as obviously people who DARE to criticize something must be "sad"

Offline rightside

• Regular Boarder
« Reply #36 on: 12 Feb 13, 10:17:pm »
toys, cot and all that.

Offline 355

• I Sleep Here !
  • I like control. And I like losing control.
« Reply #37 on: 13 Feb 13, 02:43:am »
http://www.gaynz.com/articles/publish/34/article_12903.php

"Overcoming his own early struggles was something Olwage drew upon when asked during the competition how he could help others as Mr Gay New Zealand, and he was clear he wants to be seen as more than what is on the outside."

That's a good move since it looks like the next struggle Olwage will have to overcome relates to male pattern hair loss.
B3 g k+ m q r- s+ t

Offline MA

• Hardcore Boarder
« Reply #38 on: 13 Feb 13, 11:00:am »

But hey, sorry I bothered to add a dissenting voice to your website discussion, this is literally the busiest thread you have had this year, if not longer, but I will leave you to your super optimist, rose coloured glasses of utter apathy as obviously people who DARE to criticize something must be "sad"

I do not think you have any need to apologise for expressing a valid and honest opinion in a spirited way. I applaud your sentiments and have read the comments on this thread with bemusement.

On the one hand you are congratulated by a member, 'It always amuses me why we aren't able to be critical of our own community.' who has been archly critical, indeed offensively so of criticisms levelled at aspects of queer NZ in the past, and on the other hand you are being challenged to offer an alternative to the banal exhibition in question. This to me displays the neurotic dysfunction within the queer community.

Irrespective of the persons involved in the latest 'pageant' (it is not appropriate to focus on the personalities who entered thhe contest) the concept is perhaps tired and dated. In this day and age it would be far more appropriate to host a 'Queer Kiwi of the Year' award, which would be all inclusive, instead of exclusive. Perhaps the small number of participantsin the latest charade is indicative of a loss of interest for this type of event.

I have always been critical of the narrow focus of our community and distance myself from active involvement; drag queens, muscle Marys, pretty boys and leather daddies, are not representative of what our community is, or rather, should be about, they are merely the side shows.

It is time the queer community grew up and started to focus on the unsung heroes in all their ordinariness, who work tirelessly on our behalves.

Offline ABx

• Hardcore Boarder
  • "Hi!"
« Reply #39 on: 13 Feb 13, 12:14:pm »
I do not think you have any need to apologise for expressing a valid and honest opinion in a spirited way. I applaud your sentiments and have read the comments on this thread with bemusement.

On the one hand you are congratulated by a member, 'It always amuses me why we aren't able to be critical of our own community.' who has been archly critical, indeed offensively so of criticisms levelled at aspects of queer NZ in the past, and on the other hand you are being challenged to offer an alternative to the banal exhibition in question. This to me displays the neurotic dysfunction within the queer community.

Irrespective of the persons involved in the latest 'pageant' (it is not appropriate to focus on the personalities who entered thhe contest) the concept is perhaps tired and dated. In this day and age it would be far more appropriate to host a 'Queer Kiwi of the Year' award, which would be all inclusive, instead of exclusive. Perhaps the small number of participantsin the latest charade is indicative of a loss of interest for this type of event.

I have always been critical of the narrow focus of our community and distance myself from active involvement; drag queens, muscle Marys, pretty boys and leather daddies, are not representative of what our community is, or rather, should be about, they are merely the side shows.

It is time the queer community grew up and started to focus on the unsung heroes in all their ordinariness, who work tirelessly on our behalves.

Queer Kiwi of the Year sounds really cool, but it would also be quite exclusive in my opinion. Too much politics in the queer scene; it would end up being a matter of who you know and how many people you HAVEN'T offended if you ever wanted to be involved with such a thing. In my opinion it's usually the insanely friendly ones who are inoffensive and get along with everyone who get nominated for things like that.

It's kinda like Wellingtonian of the Year and New Zealander of the Year — you have to know the right people.

Offline iso_betterdays

• ----
« Reply #40 on: 18 Feb 13, 01:56:pm »

First gaynz post ever, so please be nice:)

If we were to assume that Mr Gay NZ is all about beauty, six packs and sparkly teeth, then we perhaps should ask ourselves if those are the attributes of the Mr Gay NZ brand or if those are our perceptions of competitions in general.

Human attraction to face symmetry dates back to Roman Empire and is well documented in the works of some of the greatest painters.

Kate Moss has, reportedly, the most symmetrical face on the planet. Should we then be surprised that she is still on covers of fashion magazines after more than 20 years in the business?

Add decades of heavy marketing, PR and ads pushing images of 'perfection' and you should not be surprised that we get skeptical about what is actually being judged at competitions such as Mr Gay NZ.

As far as I know, Mr Gay NZ brand has never explicitly communicated that only stereotypically hot guys may enter the competition.

I was fortunate to oversee the selection of Mr Gay NZ 2013 on the night and felt that involvement in the community as well as the ability to publicly represent NZ gay men were the most celebrated and sought after attributes. And of course, good looks do help.

I think I was fairly lucky in the DNA lottery. But because the closest I get to the gym is when I drive pass Victoria St, I don't really feel 'good enough' for the gay world.

Sure I get compliments and my sex life is colorful, but I am incredibly insecure about my average body and won't approach a super fit guys.

Could our conditioning of what beauty is (hey even average guys find stereotypically hot model on the cover of DNA hot) be the reason why you don't frequently see average looking guys with heart of gold entering these contests?

Offline MA

• Hardcore Boarder
« Reply #41 on: 18 Feb 13, 03:22:pm »
Could our conditioning of what beauty is (hey even average guys find stereotypically hot model on the cover of DNA hot) be the reason why you don't frequently see average looking guys with heart of gold entering these contests?

You might well have a point....but you do also concede, (reluctantly (?) perhaps) 'good looks do help'.

There are assumptions here about exceptions within the gay community, but I don't think one needs to hold back from suggesting that in these kinds of pageants, gays can be, and are, very very shallow. Pretty and vacuous with a modicum of intelligence will always win and I think this explains why Joe Gay-Average would never enter such a contest.

Unless and until the organisers actively petition for anyone to enter....ordinary folk are going to feel intimidated on the one hand, and on the other hand, more importantly, they risk public humiliation. 

Offline furble

• ----
« Reply #42 on: 18 Feb 13, 04:49:pm »
If we were to assume that Mr Gay NZ is all about beauty, six packs and sparkly teeth, then we perhaps should ask ourselves if those are the attributes of the Mr Gay NZ brand or if those are our perceptions of competitions in general....

It was a Beauty Pageant

You don't see the Duke of Edinburgh awards requiring a swimsuit parade. 

If you are asking if our perception of beauty pageants such as Miss New Zealand and Mr Gay New Zealand are primarily about how good you look half naked, you would have to be naive to think anything besides a resounding yes.

Offline ABx

• Hardcore Boarder
  • "Hi!"
« Reply #43 on: 19 Feb 13, 09:09:pm »
I think it's pretty simple: if a competition requires, at any stage, the entrants to take any item of clothing off then it's 'just' a beauty pageant.

Further, if any part of the competition was held in a nightclub then let's just say that the winner probably isn't going to be dining with decision-makers and enacting world change as part of their tenure.  :D