National Library of New Zealand
Harvested by the National Library of New Zealand on: Apr 12 2015 at 2:58:31 GMT
Search boxes and external links may not function. Having trouble viewing this page? Click here
Close Minimize Help
Wayback Machine

Author Topic: Counseling in Christchurch  (Read 285 times)

Offline phoenixfruitbat

• ----
Counseling in Christchurch
« on: 01 Jan 13, 12:07:pm »
Hi all,

Firstly; Happy New Year!

So, I am new to gaynz and am only just starting to make my way put of the closet and I was wondering if anyone here knew of a good counsellor to see in Christchurch? I've seen a few (to talk about these new feelings etc) but haven't exactly had the best response from those I have seen so far :b . Any suggestions appreciated :)

Cheers,
Shan

Offline Mavis Branston

• Hardcore Boarder
Re: Counseling in Christchurch
« Reply #1 on: 01 Jan 13, 12:33:pm »
Go with your gut instinct and save the fees.

Offline Jim

• Addicted Boarder
  • breathe through the pain
« Reply #2 on: 01 Jan 13, 10:12:pm »
Try phone or online counselling via Outline http://www.outline.org.nz/ or 0800 OUTLINE
6pm - 9pm 7 days per week.

Or better yet go along to a newcomers support group if there is one. Some groups lost their venues with the quakes but there are still helping people. If you "Like" the Uprising Trust on Facebook you could ask which group would be best for you (age, gender etc). See
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-UpRising-Trust/266593476710820

En Virtuales

« Reply #3 on: 04 Jan 13, 04:04:pm »
Go with your gut instinct and save the fees.

A little trite and overly generalised, Mavis.  Sometimes an individual's gut instinct, in all its various manifestations, is the very reason they come to counselling in the first place.

It may be clashing with something they feel they have to do, or should do, thereby creating distress, confusion or depression.

Sometimes the various strands of a particular dilemma are so many and varied that going to see a counsellor is a very good option: it allows the client to experience themselves in a safe space, to air their feelings, and to explore their expectations.

Lastly, I would posit that someone such as phoenixfruitbat, who has elected to pursue counselling in order to examine this new gay territory they're part of, is already "going with their gut instinct".

Offline Mavis Branston

• Hardcore Boarder
« Reply #4 on: 05 Jan 13, 09:33:am »
I agree with you and if I was in the counselling business I would be saying the same however for something as basic as a person's sexuality I stick with my gut instinct comment.
Having said that i was being just a little tongue in cheek.

En Virtuales

« Reply #5 on: 05 Jan 13, 11:54:am »
I agree with you and if I was in the counselling business I would be saying the same however for something as basic as a person's sexuality I stick with my gut instinct comment.
Having said that i was being just a little tongue in cheek.

Sexuality is NEVER "basic". It is almost always surrounded by judgements, expectations, insecurities and anxieties. Exploring a GLBT identity relies on far more than just gut instinct.

Offline rightside

• Regular Boarder
« Reply #6 on: 05 Jan 13, 12:19:pm »
'.....judgements, expectations, insecurities and anxieties.'..... ahhh, that funny little thing called life. Best to just get on with it. ( unless of course you are in the mood for a good old cry......the sign of success to most councellors. )

Offline Mavis Branston

• Hardcore Boarder
« Reply #7 on: 05 Jan 13, 07:52:pm »
Sexuality is NEVER "basic". It is almost always surrounded by judgements, expectations, insecurities and anxieties. Exploring a GLBT identity relies on far more than just gut instinct.

I guess I just missed out on so much, insecurity and anxiety, for me it was gut instinct there was nothing to be insecure about or any need to explore, Im sure that is the situation for a huge number of us.

Offline Tanith

• ----
« Reply #8 on: 06 Jan 13, 07:18:am »
I guess I just missed out on so much, insecurity and anxiety, for me it was gut instinct there was nothing to be insecure about or any need to explore, Im sure that is the situation for a huge number of us.

You're sure? Where's your data set then?
And no, anecdotes are not data.

Not everyone is the same as you, Mavis. Our brains have basic similarities, but a multitude of factors will affect how we react to things and how we process things. For those that are able to act on 'gut instinct' without thinking, good for you. Others will break down and analyse every aspect of what is going on, because that is who they are.
Your statements are very judgmental of people who operate differently to you and I find that problematic - especially coming from someone who is supposed to support diversity.

Offline rightside

• Regular Boarder
« Reply #9 on: 06 Jan 13, 09:16:am »
It is nothing short of hilarious when someone requires a person to provide a set of facts and figures ( or ' data set' ) to support their point of view........and then goes on to talk about the totally unsubstantiated ' not everyone' and 'others'.

Offline Mavis Branston

• Hardcore Boarder
« Reply #10 on: 06 Jan 13, 12:17:pm »
To funny Data Sets WOW and thank you for reminding me we are all different but just as an aside where did I say everyone had to be the same as me ? and how did my tongue in chek posting decend into me not supporting diversity. Stop beiung a Dick Head.

You're sure? Where's your data set then?
And no, anecdotes are not data.

Not everyone is the same as you, Mavis. Our brains have basic similarities, but a multitude of factors will affect how we react to things and how we process things. For those that are able to act on 'gut instinct' without thinking, good for you. Others will break down and analyse every aspect of what is going on, because that is who they are.
Your statements are very judgmental of people who operate differently to you and I find that problematic - especially coming from someone who is supposed to support diversity.

Offline Tanith

• ----
« Reply #11 on: 06 Jan 13, 02:28:pm »
thank you for reminding me we are all different

Any time :-)

Offline Mavis Branston

• Hardcore Boarder
« Reply #12 on: 06 Jan 13, 05:21:pm »
Ha Ha to funny.