National Library of New Zealand
Harvested by the National Library of New Zealand on: Apr 11 2015 at 16:26:14 GMT
Search boxes and external links may not function. Having trouble viewing this page? Click here
Close Minimize Help
Wayback Machine

Author Topic: I'm not trans but I suffer similar experience as they do  (Read 480 times)

Offline straightuplads

• Casual Boarder
I'm not trans but I suffer similar experience as they do, just because I'm not a good looking guy.

It is the time that we need to deal with abuse and discrimination within LGBT community - otherwise we have no more reasons to ask heteros to be good to us.

http://www.gaynz.com/articles/publish/36/article_15996.php

Offline The Divine Mistress Potplant

• Addicted Boarder
This post was non compliant with our User Agreement and has been removed - GayNZ.com
« Last Edit: 17 Nov 14, 09:58:am by neilo »

Offline Jim

• Addicted Boarder
  • breathe through the pain
Quite frankly, this statement is ignorant and offensive on so many levels:

I'm not trans but I suffer similar experience as they do, just because I'm not a good looking guy.

Its like comparing the experience of a person in a wheelchair to that of someone with a bruised toe.

There's nothing wrong with being trans, or needing a wheelchair for a health condition, but society makes it difficult for them to live with equal opportunities.

Good looks help get people's attention but if there isn't more to a person than that, people won't stay interested.  Plenty of the trans people I know are attractive, and interesting, and good to spend time with.  They have also had to overcome difficulties and prejudice to get to their current state of well being (some more than others). Not all of my friends have survived the journey.

If straightuplads feels sorry for himself, he should go and volunteer at a hospice or foodbank, or somewhere he can meet people worse off than he is. He might learn that a smile and willingness to help others will open more doors for him than "good looks".

Good personality is more important than "good looks".

Offline Jim

• Addicted Boarder
There is discrimination within the LGBT community but I'd be more sympathetic to straightuplad's concern if he didn't mix up prejudice with outright oppression.

Maybe he should consider that the experiences of trans people includes the many trans women who are beaten or murdered each year, just for being trans. I doubt straightuplad has ever been beaten for not being goodlooking enough.

Offline straightuplads

• Casual Boarder
Wait. I'm the victim of discrimination in the LGBT community and I acknowledge this issue by confirming it with my own experience. Since when mourning my own suffering is a sin??

Offline Jim

• Addicted Boarder
What discrimination or abuse are you referring to straightup?

Wait. I'm the victim of discrimination in the LGBT community and I acknowledge this issue by confirming it with my own experience. Since when mourning my own suffering is a sin??

Offline straightuplads

• Casual Boarder
racism.
Can u even deny it??

Offline Jim

• Addicted Boarder
Racism may be behind discrimination but it isn't discrimination in itself.

Have you been denied a job or a flat or service at a shop or restaurant because of being judged as a member of a particular group?

Someone might refuse to go out with you cos they don't like you - that's not discrimination.

Someone might refuse to serve you at a shop because you're a member of a particular race, that would be discrimination.

See what's covered - http://www.hrc.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Resolving-discrimination-and-harassment.html#_What_is_unlawful

Many trans people face discrimination. Do you straightup?

Offline straightuplads

• Casual Boarder
If they don't like me because of the race or gender I have, isn't it a discrimination?

And how could I figure out what are they really thinking about? I can't get into their mind,  and no one else can. Thus the only way which I could figure it out is inferring their thoughts according to the behaviour.

Offline Jim

• Addicted Boarder
I don't know what race or gender you identify as straightuplads - I'm willing to dislike you just for your stupid posts in this forum  :P