National Library of New Zealand
Harvested by the National Library of New Zealand on: Apr 11 2015 at 16:25:21 GMT
Search boxes and external links may not function. Having trouble viewing this page? Click here
Close Minimize Help
Wayback Machine

Author Topic: RAINBOW?  (Read 151 times)

Offline Silverfemme

• ----
RAINBOW?
« on: 02 Feb 15, 10:12:am »
How inclusive is the rainbow that symbolises our diversity?  Is there a band on the spectrum that represents the "straight" community? 

And if not, why not?

I was prompted to this when I attended the last Pink Ball at The Chateau. During the course of the weekend a few of us ended up in Turangi and Tokaanu where we got to talk to locals and they expressed very real interest in participating but they had kept away because it was a "pink" themed event and did not know they would be welcomed.  In looking around other rainbow events which celebrate diversity it seems that catch-cry rather perversely does not appear to include the celebration of straight people as part of that diversity.  Yes, they are welcomed as allays.  But is that enough?  Hard to argue for inclusion when we are (even if unconsciously) being equally exclusive.

Offline dragq

• ----
Re: RAINBOW?
« Reply #1 on: 02 Feb 15, 08:07:pm »
Having attended the three Pink Balls along with some straight friends and couples, they where made so welcome by other attendees.
It is a pity that the people you wrote off had not made some inquiries with regard to attending.

Offline Silverfemme

• ----
« Reply #2 on: 03 Feb 15, 12:55:am »
They did not enquire because the Pink Ball was promoted as a Rainbow event and targeted specifically the rainbow community.  Hence the point I make

Offline Jim

• Addicted Boarder
  • breathe through the pain
« Reply #3 on: 05 Feb 15, 01:48:am »
Almost every other social event is straight focused. I prefer "rainbow" events to be promoted for LGBTIQ community, and straight people only to be invited as the partner or friend of an LGBTIQ person attending.

I've been at gay bars where straights took over and the space became about them not us.

Rentboy

« Reply #4 on: 05 Feb 15, 12:48:pm »
Almost every other social event is straight focused.

Yep, along with nearly every advert, tv show, love song, institution - In the main, life is a very heterosexual-normative place.

Boo Hoo there was one event (out of 1000s of others) where a few straights felt unwelcome at how discriminatory- Not!