National Library of New Zealand
Harvested by the National Library of New Zealand on: Oct 9 2011 at 15:43:44 GMT
Search boxes and external links may not function. Having trouble viewing this page? Click here
Close Minimize Help
Wayback Machine

Author Topic: Australia enables passport change for pre-op or non-op trans people  (Read 157 times)

Offline Fred

• Hardcore Boarder
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/breaking-news/passport-changes-for-the-gender-diverse/story-fn3dxity-1226137167972

Is Australia getting more progressive?  They seem to be ahead of us on gender identity issues but still behind on same sex relationship recognition.  I think we're even on adoption .

Not that it's a race of course  ;)

Offline Fred

• Hardcore Boarder
The story reads:

TRANSSEXUAL Australians will be able to get a passport in their preferred gender without undergoing a sex-change operation.
Under new guidelines released by the federal government today, gender reassignment surgery will no longer be a pre-requisite for "sex and gender diverse" people to get a passport identifying them the way they wish.

They will need to present a statement from a doctor supporting their preferred gender, however.

The changes are expected to affect only a handful of people. But Foreign Minister Kevin Rudd said reform was in line with the government's efforts to remove discrimination based on gender identity and sexual orientation.

"This amendment makes life easier and significantly reduces the administrative burden for sex and gender diverse people who want a passport that reflects their gender and physical appearance," Mr Rudd said in a statement.

Offline Wabbit2

• Regular Boarder

Offline Mavis Branston

• Casual Boarder
Typical Aussie Bullshit why not just go the whole way and do it properly if one can prove they have lived in the Gender they feel comfortable with then why can't their passport just reflect that, in my opinion the x targets the pass

Offline Fred

• Hardcore Boarder
@Mavis I think that's what the Aussies are doing. Provided a trans person has a letter from their doctor they can get a passport in their identified gender, whether they have had surgery or not. So a pre-operative or non-operative transwoman can get an F, and a transguy can get an M. 

I guess some intersex people and maybe some genderqueer people might want an X.  I wouldn't recommend it if people want to go overseas.  Too risky in too many places.

Offline Mavis Branston

• Casual Boarder
Woops I must have read the original wrong my understanding was they were going to do the x thing????

Offline Wabbit2

• Regular Boarder
it will be interesting to see if the choice of M/F/X will have a flow on affect to NZ.  We belong to the same international standard in regards to passports as the US, OZ and the UK.  Which now appear to all allow trans* indivduals to have a passport in their correct gender... may not take to much pressure to get NZ to comply.

Offline Mavis Branston

• Casual Boarder
We already do and did nearly 5 years ago I had occasion to travel overseas with a pre op friend who had been living in her preferred gengder for 30 years when she got her passport it had an x I spat the dummy as we were going to the US and I knew what could happen so I made submissions on her behalf she was asked to provide evidence of hger status and a letter from her Dr the passport was returned and a new one issued with F the whole process took 3 weeks and everyone was very friendly.

Offline Wabbit2

• Regular Boarder
Thats good to know - but i think the story may be a bit different now that the DIA have published the process on changing your gender marker from F 2 M or vice versa in a passport.

DIA states you need a family court decleration, though you can apply for the X pretty easily.

Offline Mavis Branston

• Casual Boarder
I don't know about that all I know is what happened 4 years ago .

For myself I had my Aus passport changed in 1990 via the Aus High Comission and all I did was went for an interview made a declaration and received a letter from them saying I should not use it to gain a marriage liscense LOL.