National Library of New Zealand
Harvested by the National Library of New Zealand on: Nov 9 2010 at 19:16:33 GMT
Search boxes and external links may not function. Having trouble viewing this page? Click here
Close Minimize Help
Wayback Machine
GayNZ.com Home

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
10 November 2010, 08:16:AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A fan of Sue?  (Read 422 times)
Prospero
« Reply #60 on: 29 October 2009, 06:23:PM »

so the ones who don't smack their kids?  those are the bad parents?

Some give a light smack, some don't.  Not my place to judge how they teach their kid.

There is more to parenting than just disciplining a child, and more to disciplining a child than just smacking.  Saying that "today's youth are far more violent than in my day" does not mean that because there is less smacking now...if anything it implies that all those kids who were raised up getting whacked by their parents, are continuing the trend, and due to the increased population there are more violent family backgrounds now, than there were 20 years ago.

IK, I am not against smacking, nor was that law change.  If I was beaten with a riding crop as a child, I might actually be pretty damn angry about it, and that definitely would have shaped me more than a smack ever did
Fluffs
« Reply #61 on: 29 October 2009, 06:24:PM »

Well for example, Fradley has been braggin about his new left for dead demo.

Does this mean hes going to go out with a chainsaw and kill some 'zombies'?

Your logic of 'video games cause violence' dictates that he will.

Also if that was the case, are all the murders of today doing it because pacman was such an influence on them?
Prospero
« Reply #62 on: 29 October 2009, 06:27:PM »

I never said video games cause violence.  When I say violent backgrounds, I mean physical violence from family members.

Getting beaten by a parent causes far more harm than GTAIV

All parents are role models, it is where kids get their most influence from for a very long time.  A child is more likely to do what daddy does than what Roman does.
Caterpie
Bisexual Geek Princess
I Sleep Here !

Caterpie uses String Shot!

« Reply #63 on: 29 October 2009, 09:17:PM »

Personally, I think there are plenty of alternatives to smacking.
Smacking is easy though and doesn't require lots of effort from a worn-out parent.

I just want to evolve.
irishkiwi
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #64 on: 29 October 2009, 09:51:PM »

IK, I am not against smacking, nor was that law change.  If I was beaten with a riding crop as a child, I might actually be pretty damn angry about it, and that definitely would have shaped me more than a smack ever did

Think again.

Life is a cruel and terrifying gift.
The Don
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #65 on: 29 October 2009, 11:09:PM »

Ah... the wankers that never felt the force of a fist, belt or other violent action against them as a child, come out in force to say that smacking their kids is ok.  Light discipline may be ok - but the people that want to "smack" in this country actually want carte blanche to physically abuse rather than lightly discipline their kids.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.  The violence that scarred my childhood made me ensure that I would never subject my kids to that level of brutality- guess what... my kids turned out just fine.

And IK - you know absolutely zilch all about raising your own kids, so butt out - just because you're a teacher, you know jack shit about the topic apart from academic intellectualising.

irishkiwi
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #66 on: 29 October 2009, 11:11:PM »

And IK - you know absolutely zilch all about raising your own kids, so butt out - just because you're a teacher, you know jack shit about the topic apart from academic intellectualising.

Ud be surprised how mch I know about raising kids. And Im not talking threoy. Dont assume so much.

The Don
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #67 on: 29 October 2009, 11:12:PM »

Ud be surprised how mch I know about raising kids. And Im not talking threoy. Dont assume so much.

No, I assume plenty - and correctly.
irishkiwi
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #68 on: 29 October 2009, 11:14:PM »

No, I assume plenty - and correctly.

And again ud be 100% wrong. Ur jst being pig headed in fear that I may actually know a thing or 2 about kids in the real world.

The Don
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #69 on: 29 October 2009, 11:15:PM »

And again ud be 100% wrong. Ur jst being pig headed in fear that I may actually know a thing or 2 about kids in the real world.

So you get to babysit your sister's kids once in a while?  Big deal bud.
irishkiwi
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #70 on: 29 October 2009, 11:16:PM »

So you get to babysit your sister's kids once in a while?  Big deal bud.

Way off and now ur jst being an arse and a prick cause u didnt know as much as u thought u did.

Fluffs
« Reply #71 on: 29 October 2009, 11:18:PM »

Lets be fair now, IK would be unemployed if he didnt no about teaching kids.
irishkiwi
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #72 on: 29 October 2009, 11:18:PM »

Im  not talking about teaching kids. Im talking about rasing them. Smthin Don there assumed I have never been a part of.

The Don
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #73 on: 29 October 2009, 11:21:PM »

Way off and now ur jst being an arse and a prick cause u didnt know as much as u thought u did.

Sweet-heart, shit or get off the potty.  

I'm completely sick of your right-wing rambling about the preserving the privilege of beating up our kids - and all your justification points to is that it does nothing to prevent the bigger picture of child abuse.  We have the WORST child abuse statistics in the world.  It takes time to change mentality - it may take decades to get the message across that it's not ok.  But it's a step in the right direction.

You add absolutely nothing on the subject yet you stay perched on your pious pedastal of virtue and nanny-state.  

Since when was being allowed to beat your kids in any way, shape of form, consistant with Jesus' teaching of love?  

On this subject, you're a hypocrite of the highest magnitude.

The Don
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #74 on: 29 October 2009, 11:22:PM »

He has lost his right to discipline children in the context of school - I don't necessarily believe that is right - provided it's not the 60's/70's ideal of breaking kids knuckles with a ruler.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: