National Library of New Zealand
Harvested by the National Library of New Zealand on: Nov 8 2010 at 15:38:37 GMT
Search boxes and external links may not function. Having trouble viewing this page? Click here
Close Minimize Help
Wayback Machine
GayNZ.com Home

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
09 November 2010, 04:38:AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No comment on 2010 AIDS stats?  (Read 184 times)
Chicago
----

« on: 06 April 2010, 11:42:PM »

I remember the message board last year with the increased HIV stats was quite busy, but I read this article here about the drop (about 30-ish people?) and I can't understand why theres been no comment on here...?  I would have thought all those people from last year would have had loads to say about it? Or even those of us that think that a drop is a good thing..?

http://www.gaynz.com/articles/publish/2/article_8642.php
Prospero
« Reply #1 on: 06 April 2010, 11:44:PM »

I thought the same thing Smile

http://www.gaynz.com/forum/index.php?topic=8304.0
Chicago
----

« Reply #2 on: 06 April 2010, 11:51:PM »

oops, hadn't seen that in general!

but surely the HIV rate is stopped by more people wearing condoms?

nothing to do with the aids foundation.
Prospero
« Reply #3 on: 06 April 2010, 11:54:PM »

It is something you see on the board quite a bit, people put the blame for HIV infection squarely on NZAF, as though personal responsibility has nothing to do with it, and more importantly that encouraging safe sex is something that has to be done by everyone, not just high off authority figures.

There was a thread on here about what you would do if you were at an orgy and you saw people engaging in unsafe sex, it was staggering the amount of people who wouldn't say a single thing.
irishkiwi
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #4 on: 07 April 2010, 12:11:AM »

It is something you see on the board quite a bit, people put the blame for HIV infection squarely on NZAF, as though personal responsibility has nothing to do with it, and more importantly that encouraging safe sex is something that has to be done by everyone, not just high off authority figures.

Thats not true at all.

In every HIV thread I have seen personal responsability as been a part of the conversation. I have raised it on more than one occasion. And people have agreed that personal responsability is a major part of it and the NZAF cannot do anything about it.

Most peoples gripe has been with the way NZAF have tried to educate people with pretty posters, internal politics etc... NZAF wasnt blamed for the rise in infections... they were accused of crap education programs, petty infighting and politics.

Life is a cruel and terrifying gift.
Prospero
« Reply #5 on: 07 April 2010, 12:18:AM »

Some agreed, some did not. Some Dont think they personally should have any input into the safe sex message and it should be left solely to nzaf to educate people
irishkiwi
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #6 on: 07 April 2010, 12:20:AM »

Some agreed, some did not. Some Dont think they personally should have any input into the safe sex message and it should be left solely to nzaf to educate people

Who said that it should only be up to NZAF to educate people? I must have missed that one.

Life is a cruel and terrifying gift.
Prospero
« Reply #7 on: 07 April 2010, 08:44:AM »

http://www.gaynz.com/forum/index.php?topic=7161.0 Combined with the thread about safe sex in orgies (which I can’t remember what is called) :S

Though I am definitely not arguing with you that people think it comes down to personal responsibility.  This thread made for some depressing reading.

http://www.gaynz.com/forum/index.php?topic=6653.0
kinda_invisable
Limited treatment
I Sleep Here !

The walk home was suprisingly easy

« Reply #8 on: 08 April 2010, 08:21:PM »

Who said that it should only be up to NZAF to educate people? I must have missed that one.

I think people suggest that since NZAF are the lead agency in the business of campaigns to prevent HIV infection in the glbt community, they should measure their success accordingly.  This implies a responsibility to meet their objectives of reducing the HIV infections in specific groups - msm in particular. 

There is criticism of the direction and management of those campaigns.  There is justified criticism of restructuring the delivery of those campaigns.  And there is criticism at the style and form of engagement of the specific groups at which HIV prevention campaigns are aimed, as well as the meaningful - or lack of it - support for those who are hiv poz.

Never let your enemies know what you are thinking - Michael Corleone Godfather Pt 3 LOL
craigsjam
Addicted Boarder

100% pure fruit

« Reply #9 on: 10 April 2010, 07:35:AM »

Just a note for what it's worth, the figures are diagnosed infections, not actual. It is suspected that there is a nest of infection in under 25's that remains undiagnosed, partly due to Mills and in particular secondary infection from Mill's victims, and partly due to an explosion in unsafe practices in the under 25's. Currently they appear healthy and have passed off early symptoms.

Every infection is a tradgedy, not the least of which because almost all could have been avoided.

"The fear of being uncomfortable is worse than the discomfort itself."

Guy Ritchie - Esquire Oct '09
Chicago
----

« Reply #10 on: 10 April 2010, 07:01:PM »

An explosion in unsafe practices in the under 25s?  Is that true?  Is there proof?

If so, then what responsibility should us older gays take for this?
Sigi Handy
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #11 on: 10 April 2010, 07:29:PM »

ah I have not seen any data to back up the under 25s claim being made here. happy to change my opinion on that one.
As for what responsibility 'older gays' should take, Im not following your question. I dont take any responsibility for anyone elses infection, I take responsibility for my own...I just dont comprehend your question chicago...

do us all a favor,produce one of those generic formula fashion makeover shows,that way u can get sig handy to be the first one who gets a makeover.
Menace
Hardcore Boarder

I spit fire :p

« Reply #12 on: 10 April 2010, 07:34:PM »

how could someone even prove if the rate of unsafe sex has increased for guys under 25?

maybe there are same number of practices in the past but it's just more people are admitting it when they are asked now

anyway it's always your responsibility to do the right thing, it's not like you don't know how to avoid getting infected

Sigi Handy
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #13 on: 10 April 2010, 07:36:PM »

yes I know that only too well. But in the context of a debate over infections its useful to talk about the facts.

do us all a favor,produce one of those generic formula fashion makeover shows,that way u can get sig handy to be the first one who gets a makeover.
Menace
Hardcore Boarder

I spit fire :p

« Reply #14 on: 10 April 2010, 07:45:PM »

ye well I'm always skeptical about the stats especially on a delicate topic because the accuracy of the stats is usually unknown

by the way even though it is a drop from the previous year whatsoever, people are still getting infected and it is sad until the number reaches zero

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: