National Library of New Zealand
Harvested by the National Library of New Zealand on: Nov 8 2010 at 15:20:47 GMT
Search boxes and external links may not function. Having trouble viewing this page? Click here
Close Minimize Help
Wayback Machine
GayNZ.com Home

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
09 November 2010, 04:20:AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Aussie Government should apologise to gays"  (Read 300 times)
Prospero
« Reply #30 on: 21 March 2010, 08:37:PM »

The fact that many priests have little or no real understanding of that particular field of theology does not mean it does not exist, or that it is of no value. 

Actaully that is exactly what that means.
Mark Anthony
« Reply #31 on: 21 March 2010, 08:54:PM »

Got it. Understood.  I note Rottweiler discussed this a little in his letter relating to VAT II and priestly duties to address 'secular realities' in their spiritual renewals.

Part of the reason I dropped out of the seminary in the early 1980s was related to an ignorant, and at times non-existent, approach to moral theology.
Prospero
« Reply #32 on: 21 March 2010, 08:56:PM »

Except a religious sect is defined by its believers and its dogmas.   If no one knows or uses a certain bit of belief or certain process, then it no longer becomes part of that sect.
kinda_invisable
Limited treatment
I Sleep Here !

The walk home was suprisingly easy

« Reply #33 on: 21 March 2010, 09:04:PM »

Except a religious sect is defined by its believers and its dogmas.   If no one knows or uses a certain bit of belief or certain process, then it no longer becomes part of that sect.

Yes.  Hence the need for spiritual renewal in the face of secular realities.  Rottweiler was saying that the rites of the confessional - as an example - were misinterpreted by priests who used the rites in themselves as implicit of spiritual and moral guidance.

Never let your enemies know what you are thinking - Michael Corleone Godfather Pt 3 LOL
Prospero
« Reply #34 on: 21 March 2010, 09:07:PM »

So why did it take them this long to realise this?
kinda_invisable
Limited treatment
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #35 on: 21 March 2010, 09:19:PM »

So why did it take them this long to realise this?

That is the question many would like to know.  It is also a question one asks about HIV/AIDS cures. 

Never let your enemies know what you are thinking - Michael Corleone Godfather Pt 3 LOL
AJ
« Reply #36 on: 23 March 2010, 04:08:AM »

I might agree with that concept if there was a sincere attempt on the part of apologists.  This chestnut puts paid to the popularity surrounding public apologies.....and lets not forget that prize golf ball Tiger fuck anything Woods:

Tiger Woods, who, I believe, was actually assaulted by his wife (don't worry, it's okay when women beat men, it's even funny!!  Let's all watch women slapping men in commercials - hilarious! - now a man slapping a woman - c'mon feminists, let's complain and take to the streets about evil, wicked male scum), had only need apologise to one person: his wife.  It's nobody else's business.  We're not married to him.  I believe - and this is where I show my true, pathetic true colours here - that apologising to one's partner for adultery is COMPLETELY different to the apologies that we're talking about here.
AJ
« Reply #37 on: 23 March 2010, 04:09:AM »

Hey AJ do you think money should accompany the apology to the Gay community I do it could be called the GLTB claim.

Sure, why not - who's been left out of pocket by it?
AJ
« Reply #38 on: 23 March 2010, 04:16:AM »

Public awareness is not usually the case.  Many Australians will always view aborigines as less than human.  An apology does not redress the social attitude of an entire society heavily influencing the treatment of aborigines and glbt.  Australian society past and current is still homophobic and racist.  How does an apology fix that?

Your comment about many Australians regarding Aborigines as less than human is complete bullshit and really fucks me off.  Australian society is no less racist than NZ society.  The difference is that in Australia, they damned well admit it.  Australians are derivative to everyone, including themselves.  In NZ, racism is rampant, but racism is only racism when the victim's not white.  When Europeans suffer the most sincerest inhumanity at the hands of Maori and Pacific Islanders, it's easy to "overlook".  Hell, it's not even classed as racism, rather "whitey getting what whitey deserves", at least I think that's what the bitch case worker who dealt with the sole little slut (12 charging against one - big and tough in numbers) charged over my sister's assault called it.  NZ's a cesspit of violent, racial intolerance.  As for Australia being more homophobic, I doubt that as well.  It's only reflected more in the fewer gains towards equality the LGBT community has managed to achieve in Australia, easier in NZ due to a smaller population.  The apology to Aboriginals is something Australians are proud of, through which it was admitted to the world that something so awful and inhumane for hundreds of years had taken place and that now Australia was willing and ready to admit it and atone for it.  This can't be compared to anything in NZ as the history is completely different.  The apology has more than begun to fix these wrongs.  It was an admission of guilt.  
« Last Edit: 23 March 2010, 04:22:AM by AJ » Logged
Kiwihouse
Dysphoric
Hardcore Boarder

« Reply #39 on: 23 March 2010, 06:33:AM »

Sure, why not - who's been left out of pocket by it?

For starters all the Gay and trans that were imprisoned for their sexuality, it's called lost opportunity.
Kiwihouse
Kiwihouse
Dysphoric
Hardcore Boarder

« Reply #40 on: 23 March 2010, 06:42:AM »

Your comment about many Australians regarding Aborigines as less than human is complete bullshit and really fucks me off.  Australian society is no less racist than NZ society.  The difference is that in Australia, they damned well admit it.  Australians are derivative to everyone, including themselves.  In NZ, racism is rampant, but racism is only racism when the victim's not white.  When Europeans suffer the most sincerest inhumanity at the hands of Maori and Pacific Islanders, it's easy to "overlook".  Hell, it's not even classed as racism, rather "whitey getting what whitey deserves", at least I think that's what the bitch case worker who dealt with the sole little slut (12 charging against one - big and tough in numbers) charged over my sister's assault called it.  NZ's a cesspit of violent, racial intolerance.  As for Australia being more homophobic, I doubt that as well.  It's only reflected more in the fewer gains towards equality the LGBT community has managed to achieve in Australia, easier in NZ due to a smaller population.  The apology to Aboriginals is something Australians are proud of, through which it was admitted to the world that something so awful and inhumane for hundreds of years had taken place and that now Australia was willing and ready to admit it and atone for it.  This can't be compared to anything in NZ as the history is completely different.  The apology has more than begun to fix these wrongs.  It was an admission of guilt.  

AJ with respect I think you need to immerse yourself in Aus culture for a little longer than you currently have the country is made up of Alf Garnet clones NZ even though not perfect is so far ahead Aus just licks the dust.

Yes their Govt made an apology how PC and how does that atone for all the years of abuse, even in my day aborigine kids couldn't go to school if it was known they were Aborigine, I remember the first family being allowed to go to school in Melbourne and boy what a stink that caused.
Kiwihouse
kinda_invisable
Limited treatment
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #41 on: 23 March 2010, 09:00:AM »

Are you fucked off because the comment is correct?  Are you fucked off because New Zealand is not included in the topic of this thread?  I suggest you go to Darwin and ask white Australians their view on the 'abo'.  You can't begin to imagine the grievance Maori have.  It goes beyond racism historically.  NZ began its reconciliation long ago.  The difference between NZ and Australia is the fact that Maori started off with honest engagement by sincere missionaries and crown officials.  Australia was colonised without that sense of sincere endeavour to interact.  Don't forget that colonisation of Australia was undertaken with an absence of and total avoidance of admitting the existence of Aborgines. 

I could respond to your posting by avoiding Australia's 'proud' history and concentrate on NZ, but I wont. The topic is focussed on Australia and it will remain there.  The apology by Kevin Rudd has made little impact on Northern Territory aborigines.  Nor has it allowed Aborigines the right to claim compensation for mining operations in their traditional territories.  Fuck the apology and white Australians being 'proud' of it: give the Aborigines back their traditional territories where Billions of dollars of mining operations are occurring inspite of the traditional owners.

You can't use apologies as a measure of honest endeavour to compensate, and reconcile.

Kiwihouse
Dysphoric
Hardcore Boarder

« Reply #42 on: 23 March 2010, 06:07:PM »

No just give us money lots of it , maybe I can be in the Gay and the Abo claim my great grandfather x4 I think was Abo and my fathers family name is Egan which is a very common sirname for Victorian Aborigines.
Kiwihouse
lavendar
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #43 on: 24 March 2010, 05:52:PM »

Australia should also apologise for its
unnaturally prolonged interest in Abba...

Craig Tongue
kinda_invisable
Limited treatment
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #44 on: 25 March 2010, 08:04:PM »

Australia should also apologise for its
unnaturally prolonged interest in Abba...

Craig Tongue

Oh you bitch......I'm going through an ABBA renewal!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: