National Library of New Zealand
Harvested by the National Library of New Zealand on: Nov 8 2010 at 15:19:02 GMT
Search boxes and external links may not function. Having trouble viewing this page? Click here
Close Minimize Help
Wayback Machine
GayNZ.com Home

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
09 November 2010, 04:19:AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Aussie Government should apologise to gays"  (Read 298 times)
Kiwihouse
Dysphoric
Hardcore Boarder

« on: 19 March 2010, 10:39:PM »

Posted in: International Daily News
By GayNZ.com Daily News Staff - 18th March 2010
Email this article
Printer friendly page
««« Go Back

One of the most respected figures in Australia's legal history says the Australian Government will one day apologise to its gay citizens for its history of oppression and legal inequalities.

kirby_1.jpg
Former High Court judge Michael Kirby
Former High Court judge Michael Kirby writes in a new collection of essays: "We would all overcome homophobia more quickly if every gay person were open and felt able to say without fear of violence and discrimination: 'This is me. Get over it. It is no big deal!'"

"One day there will be a big parliamentary apology to gay people for the oppression that was forced on them and the inequalities that were maintained in the law well beyond their use-by date. Just like the delayed 2008 apology to the Aboriginal people of our country."

Kirby, 71, came out publically in 1999 while on the High Court bench.

He predicts Australia will soon take steps towards gay marriage laws.

I hope when they do make that long awaited apology it is accompanied by some large amount of compensation for all the Gay and Trans that were wrongly set up and imprisoned.
Kiwihouse

kinda_invisable
Limited treatment
I Sleep Here !

The walk home was suprisingly easy

« Reply #1 on: 20 March 2010, 01:23:AM »

If I were an Australian poof, I would resent any public apology.  I would resent the insincere process and the avoidance of an entire generation of men and women behind homophobic attitudes, who created the public will to humiliate and discriminate.  In every case of public apology, whether it is Helen Clark apologising to Taranaki Maoris, or apologising to Vietnam veterans, such sanctimony has done less to relieve bitter memories and grief, and more to popularise an empty gesture.

Never let your enemies know what you are thinking - Michael Corleone Godfather Pt 3 LOL
Kiwihouse
Dysphoric
Hardcore Boarder

« Reply #2 on: 20 March 2010, 07:52:AM »

I agree but then if it is accompanied with a big fat compensation check the taste is sweetened.

How much per beating ? how much per month in jail for a 15 year old? how much for lost opportunity lost education watching your friends die cause they couldnt cope, how much for having to leave ones birth country? yes I agree an apology would be hollow but tempered with a big compo claim for the whole community well I'm all for it.

I do wonder though if Justice Kirby ever sentenced and GLTB to prison while he was in the closet?.
Kiwihouse
kinda_invisable
Limited treatment
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #3 on: 20 March 2010, 08:45:PM »

I agree but then if it is accompanied with a big fat compensation check the taste is sweetened.

How much per beating ? how much per month in jail for a 15 year old? how much for lost opportunity lost education watching your friends die cause they couldnt cope, how much for having to leave ones birth country? yes I agree an apology would be hollow but tempered with a big compo claim for the whole community well I'm all for it.

I do wonder though if Justice Kirby ever sentenced and GLTB to prison while he was in the closet?.
Kiwihouse

I think Kirby would have done so reluctantly, if such cases appeared before him.  He sat on the Labour Arbitration and Conciliation Council before joining the judiciary.  Considered a liberal by Labour and a bleeding heart activist by the Liberals.  He tended towards judgements that inspired social justice, which invoked some criticism by the governments of the day.  His promotion through the ranks tended to occur under Labour governments.  So I think, he would have acted appropriately.  However, a radical among jurists used to observing the law and not fulfilling its purpose.

Never let your enemies know what you are thinking - Michael Corleone Godfather Pt 3 LOL
Kiwihouse
Dysphoric
Hardcore Boarder

« Reply #4 on: 20 March 2010, 08:51:PM »

I don't think he would have had much choice I was just being smart, the system over there was just so corrupt in those days especially in NSW, and I should know.
 Wink
AJ
« Reply #5 on: 20 March 2010, 09:16:PM »

If I were an Australian poof, I would resent any public apology.  I would resent the insincere process and the avoidance of an entire generation of men and women behind homophobic attitudes, who created the public will to humiliate and discriminate.  In every case of public apology, whether it is Helen Clark apologising to Taranaki Maoris, or apologising to Vietnam veterans, such sanctimony has done less to relieve bitter memories and grief, and more to popularise an empty gesture.

If Helen Clark apologised to Taranaki Maori (what for this time?), it was no doubt at the request of Taranaki Maori.  Gisborne Maori wanted an apology from the queen for four Maori that were killed during an encounter with James Cook.  Fat chance.  The apology to Australian Aborigines was far from an empty gesture.  A public apology popularises past wrongs and brings about public awareness of them. 
Kiwihouse
Dysphoric
Hardcore Boarder

« Reply #6 on: 20 March 2010, 09:47:PM »

Hey AJ do you think money should accompany the apology to the Gay community I do it could be called the GLTB claim.
kinda_invisable
Limited treatment
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #7 on: 20 March 2010, 09:52:PM »

If Helen Clark apologised to Taranaki Maori (what for this time?), it was no doubt at the request of Taranaki Maori.  Gisborne Maori wanted an apology from the queen for four Maori that were killed during an encounter with James Cook.  Fat chance.  The apology to Australian Aborigines was far from an empty gesture.  A public apology popularises past wrongs and brings about public awareness of them. 

Public awareness is not usually the case.  Many Australians will always view aborigines as less than human.  An apology does not redress the social attitude of an entire society heavily influencing the treatment of aborigines and glbt.  Australian society past and current is still homophobic and racist.  How does an apology fix that?

kinda_invisable
Limited treatment
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #8 on: 20 March 2010, 09:56:PM »

Hey AJ do you think money should accompany the apology to the Gay community I do it could be called the GLTB claim.

Its not money that glbt need.  Its a secure and safe society where hoes, lessies and trannies can contribute equally and share equitably in the public good.  I would hate to think sexuality was the basis of remuneration or reconciliation for years of sexuality discrimination and homophobia ingrained in the society of our mothers and fathers.

Kiwihouse
Dysphoric
Hardcore Boarder

« Reply #9 on: 20 March 2010, 09:59:PM »

For me they can never fix it but aq big compo pmt could help Roll Eyes seriously how can they ever fix past wrongs Aus was and still is one of the worst racist and bigoted countries, I dont know how any non aus would want to live there .
BluntMuffin
I Sleep Here !

Exterminate exterminate

« Reply #10 on: 20 March 2010, 10:01:PM »

Public awareness is not usually the case.  Many Australians will always view aborigines as less than human.  An apology does not redress the social attitude of an entire society heavily influencing the treatment of aborigines and glbt.  Australian society past and current is still homophobic and racist.  How does an apology fix that?

A Apology dont cut it,They need to start returning land and recompensing the Aborigines.

Re GLBT -yeah $ goes along way,people have to learn how to be tolerant and accepting.$ is the best way forward because if even one case is won- it will make those responsible think again,and might start to change the bigotry that exists in Oz.

Rudd may have said sorry to the Aboriginal people but that doesnt quite cut it,
I really hope the Aboriginal people get their day in court

Solo nel vostro incubo
Kiwihouse
Dysphoric
Hardcore Boarder

« Reply #11 on: 20 March 2010, 10:01:PM »

I would hate to think sexuality was the basis of remuneration or reconciliation for years of sexuality discrimination and homophobia ingrained in the society of our mothers and fathers.
[/quote]

No the compo would be for the shocking treatment dished out to individuals, however as so many are now dead it should go to the community to improve itself , scholarships etc.
kinda_invisable
Limited treatment
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #12 on: 20 March 2010, 10:04:PM »

For me they can never fix it but aq big compo pmt could help Roll Eyes seriously how can they ever fix past wrongs Aus was and still is one of the worst racist and bigoted countries, I dont know how any non aus would want to live there .

True.  And as for compo, I think if the Cuban govt can undertake gender reassignment gratis, why can't we?  It goes to show that NZ is not as advanced in social equity as one imagines.  Australia is no better nor worse than NZ.  We simply have different priorities I think

Kiwihouse
Dysphoric
Hardcore Boarder

« Reply #13 on: 20 March 2010, 10:08:PM »

True.  And as for compo, I think if the Cuban govt can undertake gender reassignment gratis, why can't we?  It goes to show that NZ is not as advanced in social equity as one imagines.  Australia is no better nor worse than NZ.  We simply have different priorities I think

Oh no this is Godzown  for Trannies and Gays best place in the world I reckon if I had not have come here I would have been dead by 20
kinda_invisable
Limited treatment
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #14 on: 20 March 2010, 10:10:PM »

Oh no this is Godzown  for Trannies and Gays best place in the world I reckon if I had not have come here I would have been dead by 20
  LOL....I promised friends I would be dead at 35.  I'm waaaaay past my used by date now..... Wink

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: