National Library of New Zealand
Harvested by the National Library of New Zealand on: Nov 8 2010 at 10:22:05 GMT
Search boxes and external links may not function. Having trouble viewing this page? Click here
Close Minimize Help
Wayback Machine
GayNZ.com Home

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
08 November 2010, 11:22:PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Councillor deplores "limp wristed judiciary"; Mayor says its Bullshit  (Read 129 times)
Kaytu
« on: 28 June 2010, 10:54:PM »

One of the odd comments from Wellington City Councillor John Morrison from the debate on trying to ban public alcohol consumption in Wellington.

Bullshit, says the mayor to her councillors
June 26, 2010
Article by Alana Bowman

It didn’t seem to be a good day for Wellington Mayor Prendergast at Wednesday’s meeting of her council’s strategy and policy committee.  After an amendment to the city-wide alcohol ban was proposed by Cr Wain – to limit its extension to two suburbs where there was public support for it – the mayor instructed the councillors that, by living in the city voted 12th in the world in quality of life, they should “have the guts” to vote for the city-wide ban which she favoured.

She then began an angry tirade which swung from asserting that Wellington is a safe city (so why the need for the police-promoted alcohol restrictions?), then to denouncing the problem of “sexual promiscuity”, and finally arriving at the conclusion that it is “not appropriate to drink in public” – alarming news for the drinkers of fine New Zealand wines on city beaches, at family barbecues in public parks, and on picnics at the WCC sponsored summer concerts in the Botanic Gardens.

After taking an obvious swipe at Cr Iona Pannett as a “wowser” (Chair Ian McKinnon ruled that it would be “splitting hairs” to say whether the mayor had referred to anyone in particular), she ended by saying – twice – that any argument against the whole-city alcohol ban was “bullshit”.

An observer sitting behind us applauded that and shouted that this showed the mayor is “a real leader”.

Cr Pannett stayed calm. Rather than responding to the mayoral “wowser” slur, she said that a non-alcohol drinker, like herself, should not be called upon to defend not drinking (an ironic comment in the context that the mayor’s preference was outlawing the drinking of alcohol, although only in public). Cr Pannett said her decision to vote against the city-wide ban was made when she heard from police that 95% of the problem was located in Courtenay Place, which signaled to her that that was where the focus should be directed.

Cr Helene Ritchie somehow managed to say that any woman around the table who didn’t support the total ban was supporting sexual assault and domestic violence. Cr Morrison argued that the problem lay with “cry babying” about sex offenders and boyracers, as well as the “limp wristed” judiciary; he added that Aro St people are “quite strange”.

And all this was in front of a TVOne camera, though none of the material made it on to the news. Since Wellington city council meetings aren’t broadcast on any TV station, viewers – and voters – miss the opportunity to see their salaried, elected officials during their deliberate and considered debates.

The committee voted 9 – 6, to support Cr Wain’s amendment to limit the extension of the 24-hour alcohol ban to Newtown and Mt Cook.

The committee’s decision resulted in what Mayor Prendergast probably feared – a headline in the Dominion Post: “Mayor loses on city-wide liquor ban”.

Reported by Alana Bowman, who is a Wellington resident and lawyer formerly of California.

http://wellington.scoop.co.nz/?p=25746&cpage=1#comment-29705
kinda_invisable
Limited treatment
I Sleep Here !

The walk home was suprisingly easy

« Reply #1 on: 22 July 2010, 11:59:PM »

I'm surprised the two Andys weren't there for the warming up of the audience.  AndeePandee?Huh??  Why werent you there to cover the limpwristed angle?Huh?Huh?? Angry

Never let your enemies know what you are thinking - Michael Corleone Godfather Pt 3 LOL
Jemima
Hardcore Boarder

« Reply #2 on: 03 October 2010, 01:20:PM »

I've sorted out my votes in Wellington. I don't know the mjority of candidates & only chose a few to support.  I've heard about other good candidates but they're not in my area.  The following are ones I think are better than the alternatives.

Mayor: Celia Wade-Brown.  The race is between Celia and Kerry and I can't stand Kerry.

DHB:  David Choat, Peter Kelly, Judith Aitken, Margaret Faulkner
Regional Council: Judtih Aitken, Sally Baber, Paul Bruce (Green), Dianne Buchan, Chris Laidlaw or Fran Wilde
Lambton Ward: Marcus Ganley (brighter Labour guy with overseas exp running small training company), Iona Pannett (Green), Stephanie Cook, Mark Greening, Kris Price
Eastern Ward:  Taima Fagaloa (former Porirua City Councillor), Mike Mellor (transport advocate), Ray Ahipene-Mercer (good qualities but recently Kerry's go to guy)
Northern: Justin Lester (who set up Ka Pai cafes), Camila Chin (accountant & chair of Wgtn's Ethnic & Multicultural Council)
Onslow-Western: Andy Foster, Sharon Blaikie
Southern Ward: Paul Eagle, Bryan Pepperell, Seann Paurini (if you want diversity), Keith Johnson

Although if your top issue is transport, you may have other voter preferences see
http://wellingtontransport.wordpress.com/2010/09/19/wellington-transport-the-candidates-take-on-the-issues/
kinda_invisable
Limited treatment
I Sleep Here !

The walk home was suprisingly easy

« Reply #3 on: 04 October 2010, 08:28:AM »

I've sorted out my votes in Wellington. I don't know the mjority of candidates & only chose a few to support.  I've heard about other good candidates but they're not in my area.  The following are ones I think are better than the alternatives.

Mayor: Celia Wade-Brown.  The race is between Celia and Kerry and I can't stand Kerry.

DHB:  David Choat, Peter Kelly, Judith Aitken, Margaret Faulkner
Regional Council: Judtih Aitken, Sally Baber, Paul Bruce (Green), Dianne Buchan, Chris Laidlaw or Fran Wilde
Lambton Ward: Marcus Ganley (brighter Labour guy with overseas exp running small training company), Iona Pannett (Green), Stephanie Cook, Mark Greening, Kris Price
Eastern Ward:  Taima Fagaloa (former Porirua City Councillor), Mike Mellor (transport advocate), Ray Ahipene-Mercer (good qualities but recently Kerry's go to guy)
Northern: Justin Lester (who set up Ka Pai cafes), Camila Chin (accountant & chair of Wgtn's Ethnic & Multicultural Council)
Onslow-Western: Andy Foster, Sharon Blaikie
Southern Ward: Paul Eagle, Bryan Pepperell, Seann Paurini (if you want diversity), Keith Johnson

Although if your top issue is transport, you may have other voter preferences see
http://wellingtontransport.wordpress.com/2010/09/19/wellington-transport-the-candidates-take-on-the-issues/

I thought Celia was worse than C&R in Auckland? A female version of Les Mills?  I chose neither.  As for Judith Aitken.  Seriously?  She has baggage that does her no favours at all.  I shudder at her sincerity.

Never let your enemies know what you are thinking - Michael Corleone Godfather Pt 3 LOL
Jemima
Hardcore Boarder

« Reply #4 on: 04 October 2010, 11:31:AM »

I would describe Celia as being more like a cross between Len Brown and Jeanette Fitzsimons but a bit younger.  She's Centre-Green with more experience than Iona Pannett and more focussed on the job than most of the councillors.

I don't agree with all of Judith Aitken's politics or decisions but she's competent, hard-working and allows balanced debate in Board meetings including a chance ot look at cost AND benefit comparisons.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: