National Library of New Zealand
Harvested by the National Library of New Zealand on: Nov 8 2010 at 8:53:55 GMT
Search boxes and external links may not function. Having trouble viewing this page? Click here
Close Minimize Help
Wayback Machine
GayNZ.com Home

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
08 November 2010, 09:53:PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alison Mau comes out: "Yes, I'm bisexual"  (Read 557 times)
JayB
Regular Boarder

« on: Yesterday at 01:07 AM »

Posted in: New Zealand Daily News by GayNZ.com Daily News staff - 6th November 2010

Television presenter Alison Mau has tonight ended months of speculation by publicly confirming that she is indeed part of the glbt community and that media hounding of her on the matter has caused her much grief.

Speaking on stage moments before announcing the winner of the Queen of the Whole Universe fundraising pageant, Mau, 44, told the packed auditorium at the Aotea Centre that there was "no room in my life for bigotry of any kind and I am proud to be standing amongst the community."

She then acknowledged her partner Karleen Edmonds who had sat near her through the evening as Mau headed the event's judging panel, introducing her lover to the audience and saying she was looking "incredibly hot!" The audience erupted into cheers and applause.

Moments later, in an exclusive interview with GayNZ.com, asked if when she said "the community" she actually meant "our community," Mau said "Yes... I'm bisexual."

Mau was aggressively targeted by the Sunday News and other media earlier this year. The newspaper ran paparazzi-style photos of her partner and unilaterally declared her to be in an all-female relationship. However, until tonight Mau has refused to discuss the matter publicly, nor to publicly confirm her sexuality. "I haven't wanted to talk about it, it's been a difficult time and the speculation has caused me grief," she says. "And I had to bear in mind the effect this would have on my new partner and my children and ex-husband." Mau was formerly married to Television One news anchor Simon Dallow.

The new host of the long-running TV One consumer watchdog programme Fair Go says she felt the speculation in the straight media was an attempt to force her out into the open before she was ready. However, she said that at tonight's QWU event, surrounded by thousands of glbt people she finally felt safe to come out publicly. And she says that tonight she felt it was time to hit back at those who had abused her new relationship in such a "bigoted" manner.

Mau clearly had had a rough time at the height of the media speculation. "It was their bringing it up again and again that hurt," she said. Asked if she felt the newspapers which pursued her had been merely seeking sensational headlines, Mau paused for thought as if choosing her words carefully. "If it had been written up with sensitivity I wouldn't have minded so much. Then I wouldn't have felt so much grief." She says it was unpleasant to be publicly written about in such a "titillating, sniggering" manner.

She says she felt comfortable coming out through GayNZ.com Daily News because she felt the matter would be reported "more sensitively."

Mau says her attraction to Edmonds had come as a surprise. "I have fallen in love with a wonderful woman and it was just so unexpected," she smiled. Glancing around at the after-show crowd, which included glbt and straight people, she commented: "I feel safe."
« Last Edit: Today at 12:50 AM by JayB » Logged

Jemima
Hardcore Boarder

« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 01:37 AM »

Yay!
The Don
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 02:01 AM »

Go Ali!
AceKiwi2010
Casual Boarder

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 10:41 AM »

Wow good news. She's normal.

Smiley

Stick that in yer pipe and smoke it Sunday News.

AceKiwi2010
- Private Enterprise promoter
- Anarchist (right wing)
- Liberal
- Free thinker
- Occasional pot stirrer
Kiwihouse
Dysphoric
Hardcore Boarder

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 10:45 AM »

Yawn  BigGrin
irishkiwi
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 11:36 AM »

Isnt this old news?

Life is a cruel and terrifying gift.
Matty - remember me?
I Sleep Here !

Making gay while the sun shines.

« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 12:25 PM »

Nice work GayNZ!
She's never spoken publicly about this, she was outed by publicists at TVNZ who informed a sunday newspaper gossiper about her new relationship.
So this story is a major step as she's choosing to be open about it now, and the quotes are wonderful.
Lovely. And I wish I'd been there last night! :-) xox
Fluffygrl
----

« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 03:02 PM »

Good for her and I hope she's happy. She's gorgeous I reckon...
salniamh
----

« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 06:29 PM »

Yay, go Ali :-)
Tones
Regular Boarder

« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 09:52 PM »

fabbbbbbbbbbbbulous!

It's like baby oh!
kinda_invisable
Limited treatment
I Sleep Here !

The walk home was suprisingly easy

« Reply #10 on: Today at 11:33 AM »

I still don't understand what the fuss is about!  We all know.  Is it just that her actual confession is imprimatur of certification?  Is she now deemed a member of an illustrious body of lofty regard?  She's a ho like the rest of us.  So what?

Never let your enemies know what you are thinking - Michael Corleone Godfather Pt 3 LOL
Jemima
Hardcore Boarder

« Reply #11 on: Today at 11:36 AM »

Today's NZ Herald has a short item on pageA3 that refers to Alison coming out but doesn't say as what.  You can infer some of the story by its quotes of Ali saying she's in love with another woman.  But nowhere in the story does the reporter AK (who is the NZH sports reporter) mention the words bisexual or lesbian.

Is it just my impression, or is the Herald's reporting frequently ill informed and a bit phobic on LBGT issues and people, including referring to transwomen as transvestites and "he" rather than "she"?

The fuss is like the "It Gets Better" campaign fuss, where a known and respected public figure identifies with a minority group that still faces discrimination and prejudice and negative stereotypes.  By identifying as bisexual, Ali provides a positive image of a woman in love with another woman who is not just playing up for male attention, and who is a good mother and is apparently in a committed monogamous relationship.
kinda_invisable
Limited treatment
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #12 on: Today at 12:05 PM »

Today's NZ Herald has a short item on pageA3 that refers to Alison coming out but doesn't say as what.  You can infer some of the story by its quotes of Ali saying she's in love with another woman.  But nowhere in the story does the reporter AK (who is the NZH sports reporter) mention the words bisexual or lesbian.

Is it just my impression, or is the Herald's reporting frequently ill informed and a bit phobic on LBGT issues and people, including referring to transwomen as transvestites and "he" rather than "she"?

The fuss is like the "It Gets Better" campaign fuss, where a known and respected public figure identifies with a minority group that still faces discrimination and prejudice and negative stereotypes.  By identifying as bisexual, Ali provides a positive image of a woman in love with another woman who is not just playing up for male attention, and who is a good mother and is apparently in a committed monogamous relationship.

STOP reading the Herald dammit!!!   Smile

Never let your enemies know what you are thinking - Michael Corleone Godfather Pt 3 LOL
Matty - remember me?
I Sleep Here !

Making gay while the sun shines.

« Reply #13 on: Today at 01:42 PM »

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10686153

It's great that they linked to GayNZ.com's story. As they should!
kinda_invisable
Limited treatment
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #14 on: Today at 01:51 PM »

WOW...I can't believe she is 44!!!  She looks early 30s.  See.  That's what happens when you go gay....you get younger!!!  Smile Smile Smile

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: