National Library of New Zealand
Harvested by the National Library of New Zealand on: Apr 14 2010 at 14:35:46 GMT
Search boxes and external links may not function. Having trouble viewing this page? Click here
Close Minimize Help
Wayback Machine
GayNZ.com Home

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
15 April 2010, 02:35:AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Companions in captivity for 15 years die together  (Read 110 times)
Kaytu
NOT the voice of reason
Hardcore Boarder

« on: 04 April 2010, 12:34:AM »

The news story on these two otters at Nelson's Natureland Zoo doesn't say whether the two male otters were a couple, but they were obviously very close.

Inseparable for 15 years, zoo's otters die together

By Jarrod Booker 4:00 AM Saturday Apr 3, 2010

Natureland's male otters Daz and Chip - residents of the zoo in Nelson for 15 years - died within an hour of each other, apparently of heart attacks. They were inseparable in life, so it is perhaps not surprising that they went together in death.

When one of Natureland Zoo's two male otter old-timers died last week, his longtime companion was unable to carry on life alone.  It is believed Daz, 19, and Chip, 16 - both having lived to ripe old ages for otters - died of heart attacks within an hour of each other.

"The biggest consolation for us was that we weren't left with one lonely otter. As much as we hated what had happened," said zoo operations manager Gail Sutton.

The pair had been residents of the Nelson zoo for 15 years and had lived largely healthy lives until they recently fell ill, she said.

"About two weeks ago they were a bit off-colour. And so we ran tests on them, and with the vets we decided to give them a course of antibiotics just in case there was something going on."

The pair were taken from the outdoor enclosure they shared and were taken to a warmer quarantine area.

Their treatment appeared to soon bring them back to their "busy, growly, bitey selves".

But on the day last week when they were due to be taken back to their enclosure, they were found dead.

"The keeper who opened the door and found them just looked at them and burst into tears.

"The bottom line is that when one of them had a heart attack, it just set the other one off and he followed through."

The zoo is hoping it will be able to find new otters to fill its enclosure, in a bid to continue raising awareness of the threats they face in the wild.

Valens
The great work begins
Regular Boarder

« Reply #1 on: 04 April 2010, 12:36:AM »

Love this story. Like vincent price and corale brown

No day but today.............
Kaytu
NOT the voice of reason
Hardcore Boarder

« Reply #2 on: 04 April 2010, 12:41:AM »

It reminded me of a sequence from the Tom Ford/ Colin Firth movie A Single Man.
Kiwihouse
Kiwihouse
Regular Boarder

« Reply #3 on: 04 April 2010, 08:01:AM »

The news story on these two otters at Nelson's Natureland Zoo doesn't say whether the two male otters were a couple, but they were obviously very close.

There is a link here I bred those Otters at Moana Zoo in fact at that time I had the only breeding group in the country.
Kiwihouse
Valens
The great work begins
Regular Boarder

So
« Reply #4 on: 04 April 2010, 10:12:AM »

Ha you made them gay. Love it

No day but today.............
Starscream
Hardcore Boarder

formerly Shieldman.

« Reply #5 on: 04 April 2010, 10:14:AM »

I think it's a really sweet fact that the died together. I suspect the second one just gave up after seeing his friend die, and let himself go. It's sad, but also shows that animals can form bonds just as strong as us humans can.

Wraythe
computer! your mother was a toaster!
I Sleep Here !

Flying high at ground level

« Reply #6 on: 04 April 2010, 10:39:AM »

well seeing as how we're animals as well it bound to happen, are otters one of the species that mates for life? if they are that could explain it.  This was a bittersweet story, sad but heart warming.

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most" - Ozzy Osbourne

"Scream into the darkness to find the light"
Kiwihouse
Kiwihouse
Regular Boarder

« Reply #7 on: 04 April 2010, 04:17:PM »

well seeing as how we're animals as well it bound to happen, are otters one of the species that mates for life? if they are that could explain it.  This was a bittersweet story, sad but heart warming.

Mating for life is usually only till one dies. Animals like humans often develop bonds when forced into single sex groups .

Kaytu
NOT the voice of reason
Hardcore Boarder

« Reply #8 on: 04 April 2010, 04:40:PM »

Apparently the story was also on TV3 news with a sweet clip of the pair of them together.

http://www.3news.co.nz/Otters-best-of-friends-until-death-did-them-part/tabid/372/articleID/149211/Default.aspx
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: