National Library of New Zealand
Harvested by the National Library of New Zealand on: Apr 14 2010 at 14:34:21 GMT
Search boxes and external links may not function. Having trouble viewing this page? Click here
Close Minimize Help
Wayback Machine
GayNZ.com Home

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
15 April 2010, 02:34:AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Big Gay Day  (Read 379 times)
Ozman
I Sleep Here !

« on: 06 April 2010, 01:59:PM »

So who went?  Photos look pretty good.  Its goo dto see different performing artists for a change, I think it was the same with the last gay even thingy, seeing people actually singing and playing instruments!

And is it just me or was it chock full of hotties?

20 minutes to save the world, and I've got a post office...and it's shut.
Sigi Handy
I Sleep Here !

blending beats and loops and samples since 198ahem

« Reply #1 on: 06 April 2010, 02:05:PM »

Live musicians and performers have been happening for years now. There were some at BGD yes, but its not a new thing.
As for the day itself I am the wrong person to ask. I am still very unhappy about the way I and the rest of the techs were treated. So much so that I have now decided that I shall never ever donate my time to a gay event again. From what I have heard so far many people enjoyed themselves, and Im sure the paid performers had a wonderful time. Hopefully Body Positive gets a good chunk of change. At the end of the day that is probably all that matters

Edit to add this.....
There were several of us working on that event, pulling an 18 hour day for no pay, that for some reason were not interesting enough to photograph...Smile nor thank untill I kicked up a stink about it, so I shall now...Thank you Peter for hiring me insane amounts worth of sound gear hire for bugger all out of the goodness of your heart (and he isnt even gay). Thank you Ricky Huntington for being such a talented bugger and working so hard, again for no pay and no thanks. Thanks Ambrose for sorting out an amazing light rig for again bugger all cost, again no pay and no real gratitude...
« Last Edit: 06 April 2010, 04:02:PM by Sigi Handy » Logged

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Valens
The great work begins
Regular Boarder

Hmm
« Reply #2 on: 06 April 2010, 02:34:PM »

What the fuck is with people getting paid to do a charity gig?

No day but today.............
Sigi Handy
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #3 on: 06 April 2010, 03:52:PM »

yes that is a very good question. That was what irked me the most. The reason I was ok with working for nothing is that I assumed that being a fundraiser that everyone was. My attitude changed when I found out that there were quite a few receiving monetary reward. To accept a fee when you know that others are working for nothing speaks volumes to me as to how much such a person really cares about body positive, and how much is just lipservice.
This whole thing has really tainted my view on my own community/communities way of using people.

-- Winston Churchill
Ozman
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #4 on: 06 April 2010, 05:06:PM »

I don't think I would be wrong in suggesting that the majority of gay events have a drag queen and a dj as top billing, if not the sole entertainment.  Just nice to see a difference.

Which performers were paid for big gay day? 

John Locke
Do you really want me to go all smoke monster? Now?
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #5 on: 06 April 2010, 05:27:PM »

I voulountered for the RY stall for the BGO, this was around 4ish, and left about an hour later.....It sounded like it got good towards the end of the day though but I wasn't going to wait around.

"What do you believe in?"
"I believe in hope."
crashe
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #6 on: 06 April 2010, 06:44:PM »

I voulountered for the RY stall for the BGO, this was around 4ish, and left about an hour later.....It sounded like it got good towards the end of the day though but I wasn't going to wait around.

How many hours did you volunteer for?Huh?
I noticed that you mentioned in another thread that you got bored volunteering... and yet you got to see all the performances for FREE... which is a good score....  Smiley

Most volunteers stay longer than one hour... and if they go off to watch the show after doing their stint, they hang about the place and pop back every so often in case they are needed.... like for the main person doing the stall, to go and look at the show or have pitstops etc...
John Locke
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #7 on: 06 April 2010, 06:45:PM »

I voluntered for about an hour and a half solidly, then went to have a look around and then went,
I think i've seen this all before.

"I believe in hope."
crashe
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #8 on: 06 April 2010, 06:47:PM »

I voluntered for about an hour and a half solidly, then went to have a look around and then went,
I think i've seen this all before.

Cool.... hope you thought to tell RY that you were leaving to go home etc tho.... as they might have been wondering if you were still coming back to help lol.

But good on you for offering to volunteer...
John Locke
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #9 on: 06 April 2010, 06:52:PM »

Cool.... hope you thought to tell RY that you were leaving to go home etc tho.... as they might have been wondering if you were still coming back to help lol.

But good on you for offering to volunteer...

I like voluntering!

"I believe in hope."
Sigi Handy
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #10 on: 06 April 2010, 07:38:PM »

I don't think I would be wrong in suggesting that the majority of gay events have a drag queen and a dj as top billing, if not the sole entertainment.  Just nice to see a difference.

Which performers were paid for big gay day? 
Even if I could supply an accurate list I wouldnt. Its not how I roll as they say.

-- Winston Churchill
Ozman
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #11 on: 06 April 2010, 07:39:PM »

As it was a charity event, isn't that public knowledge?

Actually how does one find that stuff out?  That is such a cack term "oh it is public knowledge" yeah if you even know were to start looking perhaps.

Sigi Handy
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #12 on: 06 April 2010, 07:51:PM »

no it isnt public knowledge. The only person/s that would definitively know that would be the producer/s and there is no legal requirement to disclose any of that info. Tax law comes into play, but as far as I know there is no requirement to have any of that info in the public domain nor should there be as far as I can see.

-- Winston Churchill
Ozman
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #13 on: 06 April 2010, 07:55:PM »

What am I thinking about then?  I thought if you were doing a fundraising thing for charity the books had to be open for public scrutiny?  Or am i just completely wrong?

AndyPandee
Casual Boarder

« Reply #14 on: 06 April 2010, 08:41:PM »

As far as I'm aware there is no need to open the books publicly.  I think you might be thinking about charities, ie: charitable organisations.

Running an event for a charity is a completely different matter and they don't need to show anything to anyone, not even Body Positive.

"How can the train be lost?  It's on tracks."
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: