National Library of New Zealand
Harvested by the National Library of New Zealand on: Apr 14 2010 at 14:32:49 GMT
Search boxes and external links may not function. Having trouble viewing this page? Click here
Close Minimize Help
Wayback Machine
GayNZ.com Home

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
15 April 2010, 02:32:AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anna Paquin announces she's Bi  (Read 120 times)
blacktee
Casual Boarder

« on: 02 April 2010, 12:31:PM »

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/celebrities/3543851/Anna-Paquin-admits-bisexuality

Oscar winner Anna Paquin has come out as bisexual in a video campaign for gay rights advocates, surprising the True Blood star's fans and causing the organisation's website to crash.

The New Zealand actress' message came in a celebrity-laden public service announcement for the Give a Damn campaign, a web-based anti-discrimination effort backed by singer Cyndi Lauper's True Colors Fund.

"I'm bisexual," Paquin said, before adding that "one hate crime is committed approximately every hour of every day in this country".

Paquin last year confirmed that she is engaged to her boyfriend and True Blood co-star Stephen Moyer.

A representative for the actress could not immediately be reached for comment.

Lauper, Whoopi Goldberg, Elton John and Sharon Osbourne were among the other stars who appeared in the message.

"I've come to realize equality means a lot to people who don't have it and that, as a straight person, I have a responsibility to stand up for gay and transgender people each and every day," Lauper said in a statement.

Paquin's assertion came as a surprise to fans of her work on television and in the movies, where she won an Oscar for best supporting actress at age 11 in 1993's The Piano, because she had not previously said she was bisexual.

Since 2008, the Canadian-born Paquin has played a telepathic person in vampire TV series True Blood on cable network HBO.

The organisation said in a Twitter message that it's website, wegiveadamn.org, crashed due to overwhelming traffic.

Celebrities in the video also raised concern about the US military's policy of discharging openly gay soldiers.

President Barack Obama has stated his goal to scrap the so-called "don't ask, don't tell" policy, and this week the US Army secretary said he would not discharge gay personnel who admitted their sexual orientation to him.
DrFeelgood
life is hard, after all - it kills you
Regular Boarder

« Reply #1 on: 02 April 2010, 12:36:PM »

Why is it always news when a celebrity comes out?

irishkiwi
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #2 on: 02 April 2010, 02:33:PM »

Why is it always news when a celebrity comes out?

Agreed. Who cares anymore.

"We'll be right back to Happy Waldo and the Salty Monkey... but first...."
Alexander
Addicted Boarder

アレクサンダー

« Reply #3 on: 02 April 2010, 02:36:PM »

Exactly. The slogan of that campaign is "Give a Damn".

DrFeelgood
life is hard, after all - it kills you
Regular Boarder

« Reply #4 on: 02 April 2010, 03:33:PM »

Agreed. Who cares anymore.
Indeed. As if it's anyone's business anyway. If I was in position of celebrity I probably wouldn't come out. I think I'd be open with my friends and family, etc. But why should I dignify the invasion of my privacy by acknowledging the public as an entity to which I must also 'come out'? It's absurd.

TheDon
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #5 on: 02 April 2010, 03:59:PM »

Visibility.
irishkiwi
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #6 on: 02 April 2010, 04:09:PM »

Visibility.

Ah, "Ricky Martin" syndrome.

"We'll be right back to Happy Waldo and the Salty Monkey... but first...."
Tones
Casual Boarder

« Reply #7 on: 02 April 2010, 04:17:PM »

good on her.

now anna pacquin and anita mcnaught would be a match made in my heaven, sigh.
punkout
Casual Boarder

« Reply #8 on: 02 April 2010, 06:28:PM »

I actually think it's good that people are aware of the sexuality of celebrities, of course it's a personal choice that each of them has to make whether to be open about it, but the more famous people that proudly stand up for their sexuality the better it is for all of us. Good on her I say, and good on the rest of the celebs for taking a stand and supporting this message.

Well that's something a little fresh!
Alexander
Addicted Boarder

アレクサンダー

« Reply #9 on: 02 April 2010, 07:30:PM »

Here is the example of why famous people should be open about their sexuality. Story of Chris Carter.
An issue that I’m often asked about is why I bothered to be open about my sexuality when I first elected as an MP in 1993.

I was reflecting on that issue last night after someone raised it with me.

To respond why, I think the best way would be to share just one story – one of many which have happened to me since 1993 – illustrating the importance of how my position as an MP can impact positively on some individual lives.

Two years ago, when I was visiting Melbourne as Housing Minister, I was being hosted by an Australian Labor Party official at a local bar.

My Secretary was with me and he was buying a drink. He noticed a young Māori woman standing next to him at the bar and asked her which part of New Zealand she came from. She responded that she was from Henderson in West Auckland. He pointed out that the MP for the Henderson area (me) was standing just across the bar.

She rushed across and told me that I had changed her life!

Amazed, I asked her how. Her response was one of the nicest things that I have experienced as an MP.

She told me that as a 15 year old she was struggling with her sexual identity as a young lesbian and that she had been contemplating suicide. I came to her school Prize Giving, as the local MP, and students in the audience pointed out to her that “Chris Carter is gay!” She told me that my confidence and my important role in that assembly made her realise, for the first time in her life, that being gay was not something to be ashamed of, and that people could be proud and successful and also be gay.

After that conversation in Melbourne I wondered how many other lives politicians touch personally without ever meeting or even discovering the impacts that they can have. I guess for Māori, Pasifika, Asian and women MPs similar messages about success, confidence and positive role models are by-products of our Parliament being a place where all New Zealanders are represented.

John Locke
Do you really want me to go all smoke monster? Now?
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #10 on: 02 April 2010, 08:28:PM »

Lol, Anna Pacquin crashed a website. LOL

"What do you believe in?"
"I believe in hope."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: