National Library of New Zealand
Harvested by the National Library of New Zealand on: Apr 14 2010 at 14:32:27 GMT
Search boxes and external links may not function. Having trouble viewing this page? Click here
Close Minimize Help
Wayback Machine
GayNZ.com Home

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
15 April 2010, 02:32:AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Big Gay Day  (Read 378 times)
Sigi Handy
I Sleep Here !

blending beats and loops and samples since 198ahem

« Reply #15 on: 06 April 2010, 09:07:PM »

yes that is my understanding as well. Besides I dont see the point in knowing who got paid. It to me completely isnt the point.
« Last Edit: 06 April 2010, 09:14:PM by Sigi Handy » Logged

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Ozman
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #16 on: 06 April 2010, 09:16:PM »

As far as I'm aware there is no need to open the books publicly.  I think you might be thinking about charities, ie: charitable organisations.

Running an event for a charity is a completely different matter and they don't need to show anything to anyone, not even Body Positive.

Ah thats probably where I am getting confused.  Sorry yeah there is no pressing need to know, I just was curious about that little bit of legality there.

20 minutes to save the world, and I've got a post office...and it's shut.
I.P.Nightly
Regular Boarder

« Reply #17 on: 07 April 2010, 09:32:AM »

Well its great the Body positive will about $10k with there being an estimated crowd of 1200, which is great news!
From what I understand, no one got paid as such.. A couple of performers may of been given a small cash gift to part cover their expenses, but this was not apart of the ticket sales and from what I can understand was out of the pocket from one of our bar owners.. (which is a nice gesture..)
Ozman
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #18 on: 07 April 2010, 09:44:AM »

A couple of performers may of been given a small cash gift to part cover their expenses, but this was not apart of the ticket sales and from what I can understand was out of the pocket from one of our bar owners.. (which is a nice gesture..)

It’s a nice gesture to the performers, its an entirely different gesture to everyone else who was heavily involved in the day.

I.P.Nightly
Regular Boarder

« Reply #19 on: 07 April 2010, 10:02:AM »

It’s a nice gesture to the performers, its an entirely different gesture to everyone else who was heavily involved in the day.

But they were volunteers, correct? They must of known this when offering to help. And good on them!
Some of the performers may have given up other high paying gigs, to be there, which I don't know for fact, but it is possible, plus the performers shouldn't be out of pocket either, some would be using a heck of a lot of makeup etc.. So at the end of the day if its not out of the ticket sales whats the problem?
Ozman
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #20 on: 07 April 2010, 10:05:AM »

But they were volunteers, correct? They must of known this when offering to help. And good on them!
Some of the performers may have given up other high paying gigs, to be there, which I don't know for fact, but it is possible, plus the performers shouldn't be out of pocket either, some would be using a heck of a lot of makeup etc.. So at the end of the day if its not out of the ticket sales whats the problem?

Why shouldn't the performers be out of pocket if they were volunteering?  If two performers both gave up paying gigs, and used a lot of their own supplies etc to perform for charity, and ONE performer was given a cash bonus, how do you think the other performer would feel?

I.P.Nightly
Regular Boarder

« Reply #21 on: 07 April 2010, 10:15:AM »

Why shouldn't the performers be out of pocket if they were volunteering?  If two performers both gave up paying gigs, and used a lot of their own supplies etc to perform for charity, and ONE performer was given a cash bonus, how do you think the other performer would feel?

I guess you'd need to ask the performers in that case.
Ozman
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #22 on: 07 April 2010, 10:18:AM »

Put yourself into their shoes. How would you feel if it was you who didn't receive a contribution to costs while someone else did? 

Sigi Handy
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #23 on: 07 April 2010, 05:26:PM »

Well...looks as though my costs are being covered, it was a misunderstanding, a communication issue. Im not very popular because I spoke publicly about my dissatisfaction, I dont regret that at all. Im not a little bitch that is gonna lie down any more. That guy is dead and gone. And good bloody riddance to him too. At least Im no longer out of pocket....thank you Blair for sorting that out.
For the record I thought the actual event went well, there were organisational issues that happen with the first time. Lessons learnt and all that. The talent was mostly very good, The staging was great, the lighting very good in my opinion, and as much as Ill be accused of pissing up my own leg the sound was pretty good as well. All in all for gig number one it was good. The customers seemed to have a great time overall, the numbers later in the day were good, and it looks as though Body Pos will get a good chunk of money. And that is the most important thing.
My issues were and are not related to any of that. I have no doubt that next years event will learn lessons from this years, and whoever does my job next year will not have to deal with some of the things I did. It has the potential as an event to be a big one on the AK gay calender.
Ive been given enough shit about speaking my mind over it, so I shall shut up now.

-- Winston Churchill
Tones
Casual Boarder

« Reply #24 on: 07 April 2010, 08:51:PM »

I :-*sigi and his work.

I enjoyed the day, it had a different feel to the BGO - I hope it's not intending to replace BGO perhaps compliment it?
Thank god it was after OurFest and Aroha otherwise it's a long festival month for those of us 'working' / 'volunteering'.
I Sleep Here !

I like control. And I like losing control.

« Reply #25 on: 08 April 2010, 02:12:AM »

it was a misunderstanding, a communication issue
ha! heard that one before - fortunate that you had the forum to air your grievances

you're such a whimp post that shit in glitter
Sigi Handy
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #26 on: 08 April 2010, 02:40:AM »

I have absolutely no regrets regarding my public airing of my opinions....

-- Winston Churchill
I Sleep Here !

I like control. And I like losing control.

« Reply #27 on: 08 April 2010, 02:46:AM »

yes, you've made that clear

you're such a whimp post that shit in glitter
Sigi Handy
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #28 on: 08 April 2010, 03:24:AM »

hmmmmm?Huh??

-- Winston Churchill
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: