National Library of New Zealand
Harvested by the National Library of New Zealand on: Apr 14 2010 at 14:31:58 GMT
Search boxes and external links may not function. Having trouble viewing this page? Click here
Close Minimize Help
Wayback Machine
GayNZ.com Home

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
15 April 2010, 02:31:AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Two big days out planned for Beresford Square  (Read 457 times)
Daily News
Addicted Boarder

« on: 15 February 2010, 04:19:PM »

The iconic Beresford Square will host two major fundraising days of entertainment targeting Auckland's LGBT event-goers in coming weeks.

The Aroha Festival crew will take over the Square, which is located a block from K' Road, for their Aroha Day on Saturday 20 March, then Family bar's team will present the Big Gay Day street party on Easter Sunday, 4 April.

Aroha Day will be a free, family event featuring a wide range of personalities, musicians, drag divas and dance crews. Mika, Jan Hellriegal, Hymnchidiva and the Girls from Caluzzi and Finale restaurants are among the line-up. Funds raised by bucket collectors there will be given to the Auckland City Mission and Mika Haka Foundation LGBT Youth Programmes.

The 3pm-9pm event will be followed by Aroha Festival's closing night Aroha After-Dark dance party at Galatos that evening.

The Big Gay Day two weeks later will be an 18-plus licensed street party featuring many of Family bar's drag diva entertainers and more acts to be announced.

There'll be a $15 charge at the gate, with Family bar owner Wayne Clark promising "drinks, food, events, entertainers and much more," from Midday through until 10:30pm. HIV+ support network Body Positive will be getting a guaranteed two-thirds of all ticket sales, adds Clark.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Aroha-Festival/196872484356

http://biggayday.co.nz/
kinda_invisable
Limited treatment
I Sleep Here !

The walk home was suprisingly easy

« Reply #1 on: 15 February 2010, 04:57:PM »

Lets hope Wayne does as he promises. 

Never let your enemies know what you are thinking - Michael Corleone Godfather Pt 3 LOL
swit012
Stephen
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #2 on: 20 March 2010, 02:54:PM »

Ok, I am hoofing it up Queen Street to Beresford Square so as to participate in the Aroha Festival thing. Might see y'all there then  BigGrin
John Locke
Do you really want me to go all smoke monster? Now?
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #3 on: 21 March 2010, 02:56:AM »

It was great hanging out with mates watching the drag hour at bedsford square.

"What do you believe in?"
"I believe in hope."
swit012
Stephen
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #4 on: 21 March 2010, 09:03:AM »

I quite enjoyed this, particularly all the bits with our very own forum-member Polly Filla  BigGrin
Fradley
I Sleep Here !

All that glitters is not gold

« Reply #5 on: 21 March 2010, 11:25:AM »

I quite enjoyed this, particularly all the bits with our very own forum-member Polly Filla  BigGrin
I second that!  Kiss

kinda_invisable
Limited treatment
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #6 on: 21 March 2010, 11:31:AM »

We got there at about 3.30 and sadly there werent many people about.  I then took a friend to have a look at something in St Kevins Arcade, then met more friends at Naval for a drink and didnt get back.  But it looked like it was getting busy and dragistas were starting to arrive.  If it wasnt so grey and cold I would have stayed longer.   Hope it went off ok.

Never let your enemies know what you are thinking - Michael Corleone Godfather Pt 3 LOL
Pollyfilla
Addicted Boarder

*May contain traces of NUTS...

« Reply #7 on: 21 March 2010, 12:55:PM »

Can I just say it was a really nice suprise to see so many forum peeps in the flesh at AROHA Day yesterday... it was a pleasure to perform for you all, what a treat for me!!!

Just taken a wee break from packing to check emails, off back to Melbourne on a 4 pm flight (with shows again tonight.... my poor face and feet!), but just wanted to drop by to say thank you all for your support and for making a trans-tasman sista feel welcome.

Much Aroha Everyone!  Kiss
XXX

(P.S - who knew you were al a bunch of Spunks in the flesh... Pwhoooaaaaaaaaaaaar!!!)
swit012
Stephen
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #8 on: 21 March 2010, 01:12:PM »

(P.S - who knew you were al a bunch of Spunks in the flesh... Pwhoooaaaaaaaaaaaar!!!)
likewise, gorgeous.
I'm formatting my video now. Can I post some snippets of your act on youtube?
Kaytu
NOT the voice of reason
Hardcore Boarder

« Reply #9 on: 21 March 2010, 02:54:PM »

I'm a bit disturbed by the description of the Big Gay Day in express.  There seems to be a very heavy emphasis on overseas drag artists who wouldn't be cheap to fly over here for a brief show.  For what is being billed as a fundraiser I wonder why alternative and cheaper entertainment couldn't have been found.  Is the event for the GLBTI community or for a straight audience? 

Other than Polly Filla I wouldn't cross the road to watch a drag queen show.  Some gay men might like the show, but surely they would enjoy watching half naked sports teams and dancing boys more?

I would like to see Body Positive benefitting from the event, but if the proceeds are taken up by paying for US drag queens I don't see that happening.
kinda_invisable
Limited treatment
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #10 on: 21 March 2010, 03:32:PM »

I'm a bit disturbed by the description of the Big Gay Day in express.  There seems to be a very heavy emphasis on overseas drag artists who wouldn't be cheap to fly over here for a brief show.  For what is being billed as a fundraiser I wonder why alternative and cheaper entertainment couldn't have been found.  Is the event for the GLBTI community or for a straight audience? 

Other than Polly Filla I wouldn't cross the road to watch a drag queen show.  Some gay men might like the show, but surely they would enjoy watching half naked sports teams and dancing boys more?

I would like to see Body Positive benefitting from the event, but if the proceeds are taken up by paying for US drag queens I don't see that happening.

Don't worry....many of us old timers will be watching Wayne Clark's activities very closely.  He so much as sneeze a few grand from the takings there will be blood on the dance floor.

TheDon
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #11 on: 21 March 2010, 04:44:PM »

Word on the grapevine... LadyBunny's not coming. 
Ozman
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #12 on: 21 March 2010, 05:15:PM »

Is there any gay event that isn't dominated by drag?

I wish gay performers with talent felt comfortable enough to dress how they want to dress to perform, instead of what is expected.  I am not saying that people dont enjoy watching and performing drag, but where are all the gay bands and singers and dance acts that don't dress up?

20 minutes to save the world, and I've got a post office...and it's shut.
Tones
Casual Boarder

« Reply #13 on: 21 March 2010, 08:10:PM »

The Aroha day was nice yesterday, I helped with set up for RY and the unsuccesful Labour (haha, thanks JuJu btw! bitch!!).
I came back around 1930 and there was a smal crowd...it was cool and I look forward to Aroha next year.
swit012
Stephen
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #14 on: 21 March 2010, 09:09:PM »

I am not saying that people dont enjoy watching and performing drag, but where are all the gay bands and singers and dance acts that don't dress up?
My dear Ozman, there were a number of acts on that day. We had a few (apparently) relatively well known girls sing some songs for us. I particularly enjoyed the "Geeks", who were a group of young men dressed up as "geeks" doing a few dancing skits. I haven't seen such raw improvised dance talent for quite some time, it was very refreshing.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: