National Library of New Zealand
Harvested by the National Library of New Zealand on: Apr 14 2010 at 14:31:18 GMT
Search boxes and external links may not function. Having trouble viewing this page? Click here
Close Minimize Help
Wayback Machine
GayNZ.com Home

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
15 April 2010, 02:31:AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oral Sex Blamed for Neck and Head Cancers...  (Read 234 times)
craigsjam
Addicted Boarder

100% pure fruit

« on: 27 March 2010, 03:08:PM »

http://tvnz.co.nz/health-news/oral-sex-blamed-head-neck-cancers-3435441

"The fear of being uncomfortable is worse than the discomfort itself."

Guy Ritchie - Esquire Oct '09
The Divine Mistress Potplant
Hardcore Boarder

« Reply #1 on: 27 March 2010, 08:15:PM »

Isn't HPV spread by all fluid contact, not just oral sex?
Starscream
Hardcore Boarder

formerly Shieldman.

« Reply #2 on: 27 March 2010, 08:26:PM »

Everything causes cancer these days. I'm a bit over cancer-warnings. Sure there are easily remedies to things like smoking (stop smoking). But I remember hearing that things such as a glass of wine, and even a roasted meal can cause cancer. I mean, how are you supposed to live if you can't even have a simple roast meat/veg meal, or a glass of red if you're going to be paranoid it's gonna kill you?

eXctrik
Regular Boarder

« Reply #3 on: 27 March 2010, 10:41:PM »

Everything causes cancer these days. I'm a bit over cancer-warnings. Sure there are easily remedies to things like smoking (stop smoking). But I remember hearing that things such as a glass of wine, and even a roasted meal can cause cancer. I mean, how are you supposed to live if you can't even have a simple roast meat/veg meal, or a glass of red if you're going to be paranoid it's gonna kill you?

Apparently being on GayNZ Forums causes Brain Cancer. Oh noze!
John Locke
Do you really want me to go all smoke monster? Now?
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #4 on: 27 March 2010, 11:55:PM »

Well, if there's anything that involvs another person there's gotta be some form off side affect....
Good thing I don't have oral sex....
or sex al together but then that is giving away to much information.  BigGrin

"What do you believe in?"
"I believe in hope."
deep388
I Sleep Here !

blastoise!

« Reply #5 on: 28 March 2010, 10:14:AM »

The article was not clear on whether this cancer virus is transferred orally or genitally... In other words who is going to get cancer...The licker or the licked, the sucker or the one getting sucked... or are all four of those activites and those who participate in any of those four in for serious trouble?
uroskin
Regular Boarder

« Reply #6 on: 28 March 2010, 04:15:PM »

I think April Fool's Day has come early this year.

irishkiwi
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #7 on: 28 March 2010, 04:56:PM »

No the ones that really amuse me are when something causes cancer one week, then helps prevent it the following week. Smiley

"We'll be right back to Happy Waldo and the Salty Monkey... but first...."
calum_v2
I Sleep Here !

I'm lushed- blame the dragon boat team ;-)

« Reply #8 on: 29 March 2010, 12:16:AM »

The same HPV type (type 16) that cause cervical cancer can and do cause oral cancers, and throat cancers in some people (and anal cancers as well).  Types 6 and 11 are more common in the mouth though, and only those three types seem to infect the mouth.  The warts can be treated in similar ways, and, if caught early enough, the cancers that may occur are curable.  They can be prevented in exactly the same way as well - Gardasil.  Condom use also prevents HPOV transmision of the wart is near the head, or on the shaft, of the penis.  However, it, like herpes, is a shedding virus, and may be present on other parts not covered by the condom, such as the scrotum (so teabagging can spread it), or around the anus (so rimming can spread it), or around the groin area, and so can be spread to someone who is licking in those areas.

Beware ... pics are not pretty, are very much Eww! and Ick!

See pics here http://www.hivdent.org/_picturegallery_/OralWartsSecondaryHPV109.htm and here http://www.stdsincolor.org/hpv-oral.php (click on the large white ? in a red box)

Beware ... pics are not pretty, are very much Eww! and Ick!

Remember, I did warn you, twice.

Dragon boaters like it wet, with longer, deeper, harder strokes.
lavendar
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #9 on: 29 March 2010, 12:16:PM »

Ah. So one answer might be early gardasil injections before boys become sexually active
either way, as is currently the case in Canada...

Craig Sad
kinda_invisable
Limited treatment
I Sleep Here !

The walk home was suprisingly easy

« Reply #10 on: 29 March 2010, 07:51:PM »

I knew there was a reason why I don't like blowjobs! Angry

Never let your enemies know what you are thinking - Michael Corleone Godfather Pt 3 LOL
fluffycatsdad
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #11 on: 30 March 2010, 05:36:PM »

Ah. So one answer might be early gardasil injections before boys become sexually active
either way, as is currently the case in Canada...

Craig Sad
Can males currently get Gardasil injections if they're willing to pay for them? Some of the "free HPV vaccine for girls born after 1990" stuff we have up at uni has some pretty nasty facts in it, and I'm now getting paranoid.
Kaytu
NOT the voice of reason
Hardcore Boarder

« Reply #12 on: 30 March 2010, 06:48:PM »

Can males currently get Gardasil injections if they're willing to pay for them? Some of the "free HPV vaccine for girls born after 1990" stuff we have up at uni has some pretty nasty facts in it, and I'm now getting paranoid.

Maybe.  Men get the vaccination overseas.  Try Student Health.

The Immunisation Advisory Centre had this to say about availability:

Availability

Gardasil® has been registered for use in NZ from 20th July 2006

Those who are not eligible for funded vaccine may consider the benefits sufficent to wish to purchase the vaccine. Gardasil® is available for purchase from HealthCare Logistics. The cost to providers is $128.50 + GST per dose. Service and delivery charges are additional.

Dosage and Administration
0.5ml Intramuscular injection
3 doses at 0, 2 & 6 months

See http://www.immune.org.nz/?t=914 for other information. 

The Healthcare Logistics website is log in only, so it is probably restricted to health professionals.
http://www.hconline.co.nz

The vaccination doesn't really work if you've already been exposed to HPV - human papilloma virus, so it is recommended mostly for people who are not yet sexually active.  According to http://www.hpv.org.nz  it is estimated that over 75% of sexually active people have HPV infection at some stage in their lives.

So Fluffy if you've had oral/ genital contact with another man, or possible even from anal sex even with a condom, you may already have HPV.

I'll probably get my son vaccinated when he's a bit older, and when we can afford it.
lavendar
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #13 on: 01 April 2010, 01:32:PM »

Why should one have to pay for gardasil injections for
boys and young men, given the strong evidential basis
for prophylactic effects in this context?

It should be government subsidised, as it is for girls and
young women before they become sexually active and
as it is in Canada...

Craig Angry
Kaytu
NOT the voice of reason
Hardcore Boarder

« Reply #14 on: 01 April 2010, 04:08:PM »

Why should one have to pay for gardasil injections for
boys and young men, given the strong evidential basis
for prophylactic effects in this context?

It should be government subsidised, as it is for girls and
young women before they become sexually active and
as it is in Canada...

Craig Angry

I agree with you but I'm also aware of the difficulties even with ensuring that girls - who are most at risk statistically -get vaccinated.  Did you read about Hokitika's Westland High School refusing to allow gardasil injections in school because some conservative parents objected?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/education/3435382/School-refuses-access-for-Gardasil-vaccine

Family First have welcomed this decision.
Family First NZ is welcoming a decision by a South Island high school (Westland High School) to refuse to allow
the gardasil vaccine to be administered at the school, and is asking for other schools to make a similar stand.
“Ultimately the decision to vaccinate or not should be made by the parent after having received full and balanced
information on its merits,” says Bob McCoskrie, National Director of Family First NZ. “At the moment, students are
being proselytized with unbalanced information through their schools or health organizations, and parents are
being bullied into an uninformed response.”

See also http://familyfirstorgnz.sites.acclipse.com/issues/hpv_vaccine

Pity about the potentially fatal cost for young women, like British reality TV star Jade Goody who died of cervical cancer in 2009.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jade_Goody

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: