National Library of New Zealand
Harvested by the National Library of New Zealand on: Apr 14 2010 at 13:37:43 GMT
Search boxes and external links may not function. Having trouble viewing this page? Click here
Close Minimize Help
Wayback Machine
GayNZ.com Home

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
15 April 2010, 01:37:AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Animal Liberation Float Denied From Mardis Gras  (Read 133 times)
kinda_invisable
Limited treatment
I Sleep Here !

The walk home was suprisingly easy

« Reply #15 on: 17 February 2010, 03:42:PM »

It does.  Cattle herders walk the cattle for miles, with minimal water and food.  They become fatigued.  The resulting leather is seen as better quality.  That's Indian leather for you!

You don't mean India indians?  The sacred cow and all that?

Never let your enemies know what you are thinking - Michael Corleone Godfather Pt 3 LOL
lavendar
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #16 on: 17 February 2010, 03:58:PM »

I don't doubt that there's some intersectionality. For
example, there are gay cetaceans, bonobos are polygynous
lesbians and my cat is a tom-hating lesbian. However, how far
should we go down that road?

Craig Undecided
lavendar
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #17 on: 17 February 2010, 03:59:PM »

[ I am not 'his' cat. He is my slave]

HRH Nut Wink
Gertrude
I Sleep Here !

Space babies

« Reply #18 on: 17 February 2010, 04:03:PM »

I don't doubt that there's some intersectionality. For
example, there are gay cetaceans, bonobos are polygynous
lesbians and my cat is a tom-hating lesbian. However, how far
should we go down that road?

Craig Undecided

You doubt there's some intersectionality with what? What road are you talking about? I'm not talking about human relationships with queer non-human animals here, more about the connections between the movements for rights and advocacy.
« Last Edit: 17 February 2010, 05:12:PM by The Lady Gertrude Amalthea » Logged

“The question is not, "Can they reason?" nor, "Can they talk?" but, "Can they suffer?” - Jeremy Bentham
kinda_invisable
Limited treatment
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #19 on: 17 February 2010, 04:12:PM »

Peter Hackney's full article:

http://www.thescavenger.net/glbsgdq/corporatisation-mardi-gras-queer-media-censorship-10357.html

Cheers 355 for the link  Smiley

That reminds me of a quote from Jane Goodall:

"[Goodall] also gives an interesting account of being attacked by a stranger for her views on animal experimentation. The stranger, a member of People for Animal Experimentation, stormed up to Goodall and vehemently said that her daughter had a heart problem and would be dead were it not for experimental work done with dogs. "If I had my way," Goodall recalls the woman telling her, "her daughter would have died. People like me made her sick. It was quite a vicious verbal attack and the people around us drew back, embarrassed."

When Goodall had a chance to reply, her soft answer turned away wrath: Her own mother had a pig valve in her heart, she said. Experiments with pigs had saved her life. "I just feel terribly grateful to the pig who saved my mother's life, and to the pigs who may have suffered to make the operation possible.... Don't you feel grateful to the dogs who saved your daughter? Wouldn't you like to support efforts to find alternatives so that no more dogs -- or pigs -- need be used in the future?"

"The woman stared at me," Goodall continues, "she was speechless for a moment. Then she said, 'No one ever put it like that before.'" '
i]

Indeed. For more info on the intersectionality of queer advocacy, feminism and animal advocacy see the following links:

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:AtrY9NUcZbMJ:sanctuary.bravebirds.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/brides.pdf+Queering+Animal+Liberation&hl=en&gl=nz&sig=AHIEtbQ76KYDmTo7-Whhx74WsPDcfXVSCw

http://queersunited.blogspot.com/2008/06/intersection-between-animal-liberation.html

http://writ.news.findlaw.com/colb/20090902.html

Peter Hackney's article is inaccurate in parts and by accident accurate in others.

Stonewall did not give rise to the modern queer rights movement in the way he suggests.  It gave rise to people who were fringe dwellers to protest at state intervention in their rights to assemble freely and express themselves outside existing social conventions.  The first night of arrests were mainly those who were visible fringe dwellers and as a consequence tended to be the flamers, the drag queens and prostitutes.  The owner of Stonewall was under investigation by city and state authorities for his mafia links.  And authorities had decided to close down Stonewall for claimed obscene behaviour and double whammy the owners bar at the same time.  The owner had another bar not far from Stonewall that was suitably upmarket and catered to 'less' obvious gay patrons.  As the stonewall patrons ran from the police, they tried to gain refuge in the upmarket bar and were barred entry by the gay patrons themselves - the straight acting 'types'.  

Two things:  Firstly, Stonewall gave rise to protest and expression of freedom on the edges of society.  But secondly, it showed the ugly side of institutionalised gay movements that were as much part of established social behaviours and social groupings.  While we celebrate freedom of expression and freedom of association there is and always has been another side to so called gay freedom movements:  the institutional gay movement.  People who dont exhibit their sexuality but neverthless indulge it.  Findlayson the NZ AG springs to mind. These are the ones who own the carrots and the sticks.  So while I can sympathise with Peter's sentiments I think he has inadvertantly reminded us of what Stonewall initially gave rise to: the difference between fringe groups in society and institutional representation of those groups.  At the end of the day, the visible icons of glbt and associated fringe dwellers can partner those slick and marketable icons.  They just have to understand their historical origins and come to some kind of compromise.

Never let your enemies know what you are thinking - Michael Corleone Godfather Pt 3 LOL
Kafka
I Sleep Here !

est. 1969

« Reply #20 on: 17 February 2010, 04:21:PM »

You don't mean India indians?  The sacred cow and all that?

The very same.

"Thank you, America. I have recovered."
Gertrude
I Sleep Here !

Space babies

« Reply #21 on: 17 February 2010, 05:18:PM »

Peter Hackney's article is inaccurate in parts and by accident accurate in others.

Stonewall did not give rise to the modern queer rights movement in the way he suggests.  It gave rise to people who were fringe dwellers to protest at state intervention in their rights to assemble freely and express themselves outside existing social conventions.  The first night of arrests were mainly those who were visible fringe dwellers and as a consequence tended to be the flamers, the drag queens and prostitutes.  The owner of Stonewall was under investigation by city and state authorities for his mafia links.  And authorities had decided to close down Stonewall for claimed obscene behaviour and double whammy the owners bar at the same time.  The owner had another bar not far from Stonewall that was suitably upmarket and catered to 'less' obvious gay patrons.  As the stonewall patrons ran from the police, they tried to gain refuge in the upmarket bar and were barred entry by the gay patrons themselves - the straight acting 'types'. 

Two things:  Firstly, Stonewall gave rise to protest and expression of freedom on the edges of society.  But secondly, it showed the ugly side of institutionalised gay movements that were as much part of established social behaviours and social groupings.  While we celebrate freedom of expression and freedom of association there is and always has been another side to so called gay freedom movements:  the institutional gay movement.  People who dont exhibit their sexuality but neverthless indulge it.  Findlayson the NZ AG springs to mind. These are the ones who own the carrots and the sticks.  So while I can sympathise with Peter's sentiments I think he has inadvertantly reminded us of what Stonewall initially gave rise to: the difference between fringe groups in society and institutional representation of those groups.  At the end of the day, the visible icons of glbt and associated fringe dwellers can partner those slick and marketable icons.  They just have to understand their historical origins and come to some kind of compromise.

Yeah he slips up when he talks about "with origins like this" considering stonewall was appropriated by assimilationists who tended to marginilise "fringe" groups pretty rapidly....

“The question is not, "Can they reason?" nor, "Can they talk?" but, "Can they suffer?” - Jeremy Bentham
kinda_invisable
Limited treatment
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #22 on: 17 February 2010, 05:33:PM »

Yeah he slips up when he talks about "with origins like this" considering stonewall was appropriated by assimilationists who tended to marginilise "fringe" groups pretty rapidly....

Which is what has happened with Sydney's Mardi Gras and the ousting of the ALF.

Gertrude
I Sleep Here !

Space babies

« Reply #23 on: 17 February 2010, 09:04:PM »

Which is what has happened with Sydney's Mardi Gras and the ousting of the ALF.

Exactly, hence his rant on queer corporatisation.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: