National Library of New Zealand
Harvested by the National Library of New Zealand on: Oct 11 2009 at 9:21:24 GMT
Search boxes and external links may not function. Having trouble viewing this page? Click here
Close Minimize Help
Wayback Machine
GayNZ.com Home

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
11 October 2009, 10:21:PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TG: How important is Passing?  (Read 340 times)
Noob
Enhance your calm John Spartan!!
I Sleep Here !

Geek love...it's the best!

« Reply #45 on: Yesterday at 12:37 PM »

I wear it like a badge of honor a rite of passage.

It leaves no room for anyone else to use it in a derogotary way against me and gives me the power in fact these days folks become embarrased when i mention it and say things like we had forgotton why bring it up.

Good call.  I like this attitude  Smiley

Silly string...it's like diet-hooliganism
Wabbit2
----

« Reply #46 on: Yesterday at 12:41 PM »

Its the problem with labels Swit, some people will take offence where others are comfortable or unconcerned with a certain term.  Often it can be in context and who is doing the "name" calling.
swit012
Stephen
Addicted Boarder

« Reply #47 on: Yesterday at 12:43 PM »

There are two ways to read that sentence.
To me what it says is there is little evidence to suggest GRS has a bad effect.
The whole point is there is little evidence.

There needs to be alot more research world wide into a whole range of things effecting Trans which was one of my main points in the original article I wrote.
Yes I don't think you & I are in disagreement here, Storm. The only thing I wanted to draw out of that article was the fact that some gender reassignment surgery ended in disappointment for some people. There are good stories and bad stories. What makes the bad stories happen? My (unsubstantiated) view is that the bad stories happen when people were expecting the surgery to fix a whole lot of problems that the surgery was never intended to fix. Which is the reason we've been saying all along that good quality counselling is an important part of the process.

I wear it like a badge of honor a rite of passage.

It leaves no room for anyone else to use it in a derogotary way against me and gives me the power in fact these days folks become embarrased when i mention it and say things like we had forgotton why bring it up.
Good for you. Taking back the power as they call it  BigGrin

Its the problem with labels Swit, some people will take offence where others are comfortable or unconcerned with a certain term.  Often it can be in context to and who is doing the "name" calling.
One day I want to get a shirt with all the negative words for "homosexual" printed on it in different font sizes.
storm4u
Hardcore Boarder

« Reply #48 on: Yesterday at 01:09 PM »

Awww. I take it this issue has been thrashed to death on the forums then?
Not to go into too much detail, but I always thought the term "tranny" was a negative one. Obviously since you've chosen the word for yourself it can't have that meaning to you. I always associated "tranny" with "transvestite" which also has negative connotations to me.

Terminology alas is something the TG has been fighting over for years with no real sign of any agreement.
Alas how can we of the TG world explain to others when we can't even agree on the meanings of words ourselves.
To me there is nothing wrong with Tranny and it relates to Transsexuals.
Transvestites are basically Cross dressers in my book.
CaitlinJ
Optimus Princess
Regular Boarder

Transformer

« Reply #49 on: Yesterday at 01:35 PM »

This comment was condescending and uncalled for and shows a bitchiness not usually seen amongst Trans.
Rt

There was nothing condescending, if you read it that way then it shows more about your own issues than anything else.

And please edit your big post RT, it is extremely difficult to read.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 01:47 PM by CaitlinJ » Logged

swit012
Stephen
Addicted Boarder

« Reply #50 on: Yesterday at 01:48 PM »

these days folks become embarrased when i mention it [the word tranny] and say things like we had forgotton why bring it up.
I neglected to comment on the last bit of this which is actually quite interesting.

Is it important for people to recognise that you are transgendered and have thus been through this rite of passage? This seems to be the opposite of what a "woodworked" transgendered person is looking for.

For me, it's important for people to see me as gay, but also important that I be accepted. Do transgendered people want to be recognised as transgendered?
RealTranny
Addicted Boarder

« Reply #51 on: Yesterday at 01:48 PM »

[This comment was non compliant with our User Agreement and has been removed - GayNZ.com]

No my grammar isnt the best neither is my spelling and puncuation, well im told it leaves a lot to desire however it has never stopped me from being succesfull even though as a 12 to 13 year old TS I had to leave school so was denied the same educational opportunities you obviously have had.

I dont like to throw cheap shots like you seem to delight in rqather i am happier getting to the real issues in posts.
RT
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 03:19 PM by neilo » Logged
swit012
Stephen
Addicted Boarder

« Reply #52 on: Yesterday at 01:52 PM »

[This comment was non compliant with our User Agreement and has been removed - GayNZ.com]

No my grammar isnt the best neither is my spelling and puncuation, well im told it leaves a lot to desire however it has never stopped me from being succesfull even though as a 12 to 13 year old TS I had to leave school so was denied the same educational opportunities you obviously have had.

I dont like to throw cheap shots like you seem to delight in rqather i am happier getting to the real issues in posts.
RT
Seems to me Caitlin was just a little taken aback by your post, that's all. Let's not get personal, or "bitchy" as you referred to it earlier  BigGrin
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 03:16 PM by neilo » Logged
RealTranny
Addicted Boarder

« Reply #53 on: Yesterday at 01:56 PM »

I neglected to comment on the last bit of this which is actually quite interesting.

Is it important for people to recognise that you are transgendered and have thus been through this rite of passage? This seems to be the opposite of what a "woodworked" transgendered person is looking for.

For me, it's important for people to see me as gay, but also important that I be accepted. Do transgendered people want to be recognised as transgendered?

Who knows i guess you will get a lot of different reasons and it is not my place to answer that however   in my case I like to be recognised for my acheivements which are not because i am TS rather in spite of.
The TS part of my life while significant is not what makes me tick but i do think it important that the community has role models to look up to , geeze that sounded arrogant .
R
CaitlinJ
Optimus Princess
Regular Boarder

Transformer

« Reply #54 on: Yesterday at 01:57 PM »

I don't have a problem with your spelling or grammar, your post was difficult to read because you had inserted your answers into the quote from Swit.
It makes it difficult to determine which parts are your and which parts are his; changing the colour of your text in the post would help immensely.

RT

I don't understand what you are trying to say here.

RealTranny
Addicted Boarder

« Reply #55 on: Yesterday at 01:55 PM »

Seems to me Caitlin was just a little taken aback by your post, that's all. Let's not get personal, or "bitchy" as you referred to it earlier  BigGrin
[/quote

Swit there is history you may not know about .
]
RealTranny
Addicted Boarder

« Reply #56 on: Yesterday at 01:57 PM »

I don't have a problem with your spelling or grammar, your post was difficult to read because you had inserted your answers into the quote from Swit.
It makes it difficult to determine which parts are your and which parts are his; changing the colour of your text in the post would help immensely.

I don't understand what you are trying to say here.

Then I guess you will never know as I have no intention of engaging with you but i have every intention of pulling you up at every opportunity.
RT
CaitlinJ
Optimus Princess
Regular Boarder

Transformer

« Reply #57 on: Yesterday at 01:58 PM »

Then I guess you will never know as I have no intention of engaging with you but i have every intention of pulling you up at every opportunity.
RT

Why?

swit012
Stephen
Addicted Boarder

« Reply #58 on: Yesterday at 02:05 PM »

Who knows i guess you will get a lot of different reasons and it is not my place to answer that however   in my case I like to be recognised for my acheivements which are not because i am TS rather in spite of.
The TS part of my life while significant is not what makes me tick but i do think it important that the community has role models to look up to , geeze that sounded arrogant .
R
I get the sense that it's a complex thing. On the one hand, being transgendered, it's very important people accept you as the gender you present. But in some ways that may also be dissatisfying, I imagine that for some people it's also important for others to recognise the struggle you had to get there.

I wonder if there's a generational thing going on here: there certainly is in the gay community.

Maybe the younger transgendered people just want to pass and get on with their lives and don't even want the TG part to be acknowledged, whereas previous generations have had to fight so long and hard, they need this fight to be acknowledged?
CaitlinJ
Optimus Princess
Regular Boarder

Transformer

« Reply #59 on: Yesterday at 02:08 PM »

Not to go into too much detail, but I always thought the term "tranny" was a negative one. Obviously since you've chosen the word for yourself it can't have that meaning to you. I always associated "tranny" with "transvestite" which also has negative connotations to me.

I usually consider it to be pejorative; I will certainly upbraid anyone who calls me a 'tranny'.
I see it as being synonymous with other pejorative terms that are used to describe trans people, like 'trap' or 'shemale'.
Of course, some trans folk use it amongst themselves as a term of endearment or to describe themselves. In that context it's not such a bad thing.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: