National Library of New Zealand
Harvested by the National Library of New Zealand on: Oct 11 2009 at 9:20:19 GMT
Search boxes and external links may not function. Having trouble viewing this page? Click here
Close Minimize Help
Wayback Machine
GayNZ.com Home

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
11 October 2009, 10:19:PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Condoms + Sex-on-Site Venues  (Read 107 times)
Boots and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
fluffycatsdad
Regular Boarder

« on: Yesterday at 09:21 PM »

For New Zealand sex-on-site venues, what are the laws surrounding the requirements of the venue to have condoms and lubricant available to all its customers?

One would assume after nine years of Aunty Helen, it would be mandatory to provide condoms and lube.
Jenny
Hardcore Boarder

« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 09:57 PM »

There is a general health and safety requirement at all workplaces to take steps to ensure the safety of workers, customers and visitors to the workplace.

See http://www.osh.govt.nz/law/hse.shtml about the Health and Safety in Employment Act 1992 which promotes the prevention of harm to all people at work, and others in, or in the vicinity of, places of work.  The HSE Act applies to all New Zealand workplaces and places duties on employers, the self-employed, employees, principals and others who are in a position to manage or control hazards.  The emphasis of the law is on management of health and safety at work. It requires employers and others to maintain safe working environments, and implement sound practice.  The responsibility for the employer to prevent harm would extend to visitors to a sex on site venue.  

This Act was passed in 1992 so not really the responsibility of the recent Labour Government.  Any Government could have passed the Act though because improving HSE practices could reduce claims on ACC and costs to hospitals and the health sector.  Its common sense to take steps to help customers avoid injury and sickness if it will save the Government money.

There are Codes of practice for a range of workplaces including the home
http://www.osh.dol.govt.nz/order/catalogue/homeasaworkplace.shtml and one that fluffycatsdad should appreciate for the sex industry
http://www.osh.dol.govt.nz/order/catalogue/235.shtml

The sex industry guide can be downloaded from
http://www.osh.dol.govt.nz/order/catalogue/pdf/sexindustry.pdf and yes it covers condoms and lube.

« Last Edit: Today at 06:21 PM by Jenny » Logged
nzdar
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 10:01 PM »

I think the NZAF works hard with all the sex-on-site venues to ensure condoms and lube are available. They may even provide them for the venues?

irishkiwi
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:26 PM »

For New Zealand sex-on-site venues, what are the laws surrounding the requirements of the venue to have condoms and lubricant available to all its customers?

One would assume after nine years of Aunty Helen, it would be mandatory to provide condoms and lube.

What about personal resposability?

Do you have a flag?   

We dont need a bloody flag, its our country you bastard!

No flag, no country. You can't have one.
Eromenos
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #4 on: Today at 07:30 PM »

well we cant trust ourselves!

Prospero ruins every post ever.
Prospero
Addicted Boarder

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:52 PM »

Its quite easy to run out in those places.  ITs really not convenient to carry around a pak n save bag full of them.  Doesn't go with the towel.

Kirstin Chenoweth = 1000 kinds of awesome

"I was aroused...then furious" - Sue Sylvester
Eromenos
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #6 on: Today at 08:08 PM »

Its quite easy to run out in those places.  ITs really not convenient to carry around a pak n save bag full of them.  Doesn't go with the towel.

Its not really convenient having Herpes, Syphallis or HIV either is it?

Prospero ruins every post ever.
Prospero
Addicted Boarder

« Reply #7 on: Today at 08:09 PM »

No, hence why they provide supplies.  Supply and demand

nzdar
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #8 on: Today at 08:12 PM »

safe-sex is always going to have an element of personal responsibility, making sure condoms and lube are available helps people make sensible decisions so no harm in that as far as I can see

Boots
Casual Boarder

« Reply #9 on: Today at 08:47 PM »

they expect them at venues and they get them there -  but who supplies them at parks, toilets and beaches - and online hookups?
« Last Edit: Today at 08:55 PM by Boots » Logged
fluffycatsdad
Regular Boarder

« Reply #10 on: Today at 08:49 PM »

I quite agree with you, IK.

I asked the question because I was talking to an acquaintance of a former sauna-keeper last night, who said that it was not necessary (read: legal) to provide condoms and lube for the clients of a sex-on-site venue. I found that very hard to believe, and while I do think personal responsibility is a good idea, the fact that so many gay men have none is a small fly in the ointment.
Prospero
Addicted Boarder

« Reply #11 on: Today at 09:01 PM »

they expect them at venues and they get them there -  but who supplies them at parks, toilets and beaches - and online hookups?

Thats the personal responsibility thing there.

It would be like going to a bar and having to bring your own glasses, you would just expect SOS venues to have them.  And they do.

Jenny
Hardcore Boarder

« Reply #12 on: Today at 09:07 PM »

No wonder the person was a "former sauna-keeper", any complaint or random inspection would have seen him either getting prosecuted or warned for a breach of HSE regulations.  Any sex on site venue manager or owner with any brains meets the legal requirements for operation.  Sheer idiocy not to.
Prospero
Addicted Boarder

« Reply #13 on: Today at 09:08 PM »

He said it wasn't necessary, he didn't say that he didn't supply them, just that it was not required.

Boots
Casual Boarder

« Reply #14 on: Today at 09:16 PM »

The NZAF supplies all venues with safe sex packs - 1 condom - 1 lube. The venue normally supplies at the door on arrival a condom (supplied again by NZAF) and a lube (supplied by the venue).

You would be surprised how much lube some people use - packets and packets - like 20 or so of lube and discard the condoms in the bin - you the tax payer pay for that - don't you think a person who needs so much lube should supply their own.

There is never a condom/lube shortage in a venue thanks to NZAF but it is abused as mentioned above and also taken from the building leaving none for others until topped up again.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: