National Library of New Zealand
Harvested by the National Library of New Zealand on: Oct 11 2009 at 9:19:49 GMT
Search boxes and external links may not function. Having trouble viewing this page? Click here
Close Minimize Help
Wayback Machine
GayNZ.com Home

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
11 October 2009, 10:19:PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: men's health challenge  (Read 544 times)
nzdar
I Sleep Here !

« on: 14 September 2008, 09:26:PM »

seems men's health = heterosexual men's health. what a splendid opportunity (missed) for a mainstream organisation to specifically include gay men.

irishkiwi
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #1 on: 14 September 2008, 11:49:PM »

I didnt realise that gay men got the flu any different from str8 ones.

Do you have a flag?   

We dont need a bloody flag, its our country you bastard!

No flag, no country. You can't have one.
Fradley
I Sleep Here !

That's so lower class citizen.

« Reply #2 on: 15 September 2008, 12:17:AM »

thats such an IK reply. Tongue

"Can't we all just get along?"   "Where's the fun in that?"
irishkiwi
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #3 on: 15 September 2008, 12:33:AM »

thats such an IK reply. Tongue

Oh is this another one of those target gay men condoms HIV/AIDS things?

Do you have a flag?   

nzdar
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #4 on: 15 September 2008, 10:14:AM »

gay men's health disparities compared with heterosexual men are well documented - a very good summary of the research can be found in: Wolitski, R. J., Stall, R., & Valdiserri, R. O. (Eds.). (2008). Unequal opportunity: Health disparities affecting gay and bisexual men in the United States. New York: Oxford Univeristy Press.

Most of this relates to the situation outside of NZ - as we have very limited local research.

angelboi
In Auckerz
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #5 on: 15 September 2008, 10:21:AM »

You only need to start looking at school people!! Gay Men's Health is barely
focused on in the slightest - it's vaguely brushed against when there is a
topic on sexuality, but seems like it's never considered 'worthy' of full
recognition in a syllabus.

nzdar
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #6 on: 15 September 2008, 10:27:AM »

seems men's health = heterosexual men's health. what a splendid opportunity (missed) for a mainstream organisation to specifically include gay men.

my point in raising this is simple - gay men should be included in mainstream health promotion as appropriate - the couples used to promote this are all heterosexual - a gay couple could have easily been included in the promotion material / website

irishkiwi
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #7 on: 15 September 2008, 07:16:PM »

You only need to start looking at school people!! Gay Men's Health is barely
focused on in the slightest - it's vaguely brushed against when there is a
topic on sexuality, but seems like it's never considered 'worthy' of full
recognition in a syllabus.

Gay mens health, oh please. We are all humans and sexuality means nothing to a cold, hepB, HIV or anything else.

Do you have a flag?   

nzdar
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #8 on: 16 September 2008, 11:08:AM »

[[/quote]

Gay mens health, oh please. We are all humans and sexuality means nothing to a cold, hepB, HIV or anything else.
[/quote]

I am afraid the real world does not match your experience IK.

Gay men among other things exhibit higher rates than men in general of: mental health issues, suicide, alcohol and drug use, smoking, STIs, eating disorders.

Not to mention that gay men often do not have good expereinces with doctors, resulting in substandard clinical encounters and in gay men avoiding seeking healthcare.

My orginal point still stands - when a mainstream organisation undertakes health promotion they should include all men - not assume that their audience is all heterosexual.

AntaresNZ
« Reply #9 on: 16 September 2008, 11:24:AM »

To be frank, the Men's Health Challenge pamphlet that I received at work last week contains nothing to indicate that a heteronormative assumption has been made, so I'm with IK on this one.  Yes, gay men are over-represented in many areas (the contraction of HIV, youth suicide etc), however I think we sometimes run the risk of being a little too precious when it comes to health.  The Men's Health Challenge is a great idea and comes across to me as a campaign for all men, particularly those over the age of 40 who traditionally don't go to the doctor (my father is one of these!).  To stand apart and say "this doesn't apply to me as I'm a gay man" is a bit self-limiting - we're men, after all.  As such, we are just as prone to high blood pressure, heart disease, prostate cancer and so forth as our straight counterparts.  I think the campaign is an excellent idea - simple, and well-executed.  It presents a refreshing "take responsibility for your own health" message which can only be good.
nzdar
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #10 on: 16 September 2008, 11:52:AM »

To be frank, the Men's Health Challenge pamphlet that I received at work last week contains nothing to indicate that a heteronormative assumption has been made, so I'm with IK on this one.  Yes, gay men are over-represented in many areas (the contraction of HIV, youth suicide etc), however I think we sometimes run the risk of being a little too precious when it comes to health.  The Men's Health Challenge is a great idea and comes across to me as a campaign for all men, particularly those over the age of 40 who traditionally don't go to the doctor (my father is one of these!).  To stand apart and say "this doesn't apply to me as I'm a gay man" is a bit self-limiting - we're men, after all.  As such, we are just as prone to high blood pressure, heart disease, prostate cancer and so forth as our straight counterparts.  I think the campaign is an excellent idea - simple, and well-executed.  It presents a refreshing "take responsibility for your own health" message which can only be good.

have a look at the website - http://www.menshealthchallenge.org.nz/families.html - see any gay faces? white and brown faces, but no gay! 

AntaresNZ
« Reply #11 on: 16 September 2008, 12:15:PM »

have a look at the website - http://www.menshealthchallenge.org.nz/families.html - see any gay faces? white and brown faces, but no gay! 

I know where you're coming from, and I partly agree with you, but the non-inclusion of a gay figure in the website personally doesn't worry me.  I think anything that promotes men taking control of their own health is a good thing.  Yes, you could view the non-inclusion of a gay person as discriminatory, however I think the main thrust of this campaign is to raise men's awareness in general. 

clasp 2.0
« Reply #12 on: 16 September 2008, 01:47:PM »

Hmm, yes but really, if you think about the average non-GP attending bloke, who i assume this campaign is aimed at, having some homos being huggy and kissy on the website would probably *exactly* confirm all his worst fears about what going to the doctor would say about him.

So while including some homo imagery might make a sub-set of the gay minority feel a bit better about themselves (we are now talking what- 25% of 2-5% of the male population) it could undermine the whole aim of the exercise for a far larger part of the target audience.

IMHO:  Time to take one for the team.

The disparities you talk about, nzdar, would probably be better served by a more tailored campaign at any rate.
siryesir
« Reply #13 on: 22 September 2008, 08:48:PM »

So while including some homo imagery might make a sub-set of the gay minority feel a bit better about themselves (we are now talking what- 25% of 2-5% of the male population) it could undermine the whole aim of the exercise for a far larger part of the target audience.

The disparities you talk about, nzdar, would probably be better served by a more tailored campaign at any rate.

Just men without women draiped on them would do it for me...they could easily have thrown in a sexually unstated single guy...of any age.
nzdar
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #14 on: 22 September 2008, 09:50:PM »

Just men without women draiped on them would do it for me...they could easily have thrown in a sexually unstated single guy...of any age.

agreed, they could have easily have made an effort

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: