National Library of New Zealand
Harvested by the National Library of New Zealand on: Oct 11 2009 at 4:43:22 GMT
Search boxes and external links may not function. Having trouble viewing this page? Click here
Close Minimize Help
Wayback Machine
GayNZ.com Home

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
11 October 2009, 05:43:PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A note to your 16-year-old self  (Read 409 times)
Matt Akersten
I Sleep Here !

« on: 06 May 2009, 11:35:AM »

Stephen Fry's letter to his younger self - titled 'Dearest absurd child' - is well worth a read:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/apr/30/stephen-fry-letter-gay-rights

It got the Guardian's readers thinking a lot about what they'd write to their younger selves if they could stick a note in a bottle and send it through time:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/may/05/letters-response-stephen-fry

So what note would you all send yourselves at age 16?

Let us know below... and if I get a few good notes I'll make a feature article on the topic.

Matt x
sexasaurusrex
« Reply #1 on: 06 May 2009, 11:33:AM »

Dear Me,

Here are the lotto numbers for the next 10 years.

Love Me.

And dont judge me, you all thought it!!!
Eromenos
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #2 on: 06 May 2009, 12:03:PM »

Dear Todd,

Dont dont dont Agree to pose for pics! I know its easy money but its illegal!

Oh and also, dont go to gay clubs in ur uniform, bad idea! very bad!

Infact join the navy its more accepted
« Last Edit: 06 May 2009, 12:21:PM by Fluffs » Logged

Prospero ruins every post ever.
urfacemofo
Casual Boarder

« Reply #3 on: 06 May 2009, 06:37:PM »

Sup yourfacemofo,

Get into the police force as soon as you leave school, dont waste a year waiting for it and when you get in dont tell that person you call your friend your gay, cuz you will regret it 4 wiked ages.

your cant aint got no bodykit? fk bro even my pecs got a bodykit. gtwitit
Doowie
Regular Boarder

heh

« Reply #4 on: 06 May 2009, 06:49:PM »

dear me

work harder at school, it will pay off! don't rush growing up, the big wide world sucks. enjoy your thick hair while you have it. don't be so shy, it wastes time. do what you enjoy at uni, but try to add in some business aspect to it, the economy is going to take a dive!

oh, and don't be afraid to love!

love,
me!
8bit
« Reply #5 on: 06 May 2009, 06:45:PM »

The guy you sit next to in Mr MacGuire's Economics class will turn out to be gay.

You're too uptight. It'll take you about 10 years to learn that. Actually, you're a bit of a dick.

Don't drink that 1125 of Bacardi you'll steal from Mum and Dad.

Also, they know you wag English class - they find out at parent-teacher interviews.

dunedin01
Get A Perm
Regular Boarder

Get A Perm

« Reply #6 on: 06 May 2009, 07:00:PM »

Dear Aaron,

Wait a couple of years before you start up the business, the economy is going to crap itself.

Your "best friend" Tom is NOT gay and he will never understand the fact that you are...don't let this stop you from telling people though, it will be the best thing that ever happened to you.

Don't get drunk on the 2nd of december 2008...you will do something incredibly stupid that will get you arrested and you will be paying for it out of your ass for a long time.

love

aaron

"Most people don't realize that large pieces of coral painted brown and attached to the skull by common wood screws can make a child look like a deer"
Lumiere
I Sleep Here !

Just say yes.

« Reply #7 on: 06 May 2009, 06:54:PM »

Dear me,

How's it going?  Confusing times eh?

I want to tell you to do things very differently - work harder at school and use your rebellion in a more positive way; stand up for yourself and stop everyone forcing you to do sciences when your heart is in art and the creative arts.   I want to tell you to be true to what you know is really your sexuality.  

There's so many things I want to tell you to do, feel and experience differently, but the fact is that I can't.  If you do anything to veer off the path you're currently on - anything at all - you will never get to create and love the two people that you will come to value the very most in your life.  I'm not going to tell you who they are because you'd never believe me if I did.  In time you'll understand.

So let them bully you into doing subjects that you hate - you'll ultimately drop them anyway and find a very different and unexpected way of doing what you love.  Let what those fuckwits did to you last year keep you stuck in the closet for the time being - the clothes don't fit very well, but in time you'll find a different wardrobe.  Life won't seem fair for quite a few years yet, but hang in there bud.

I'll write back when you're 23.  So much more advice I can give you then.  

Me.
« Last Edit: 06 May 2009, 07:09:PM by Lumiere » Logged

Context, when taken out of it, can be a truly, madly and deeply profound thing.
swit012
Stephen
Addicted Boarder

« Reply #8 on: 06 May 2009, 07:46:PM »

Wow, Stephen Fry has a formidable intellect! I'm embarrassed to note that when I was around 16 I used to fantasise about having sex with my older self so writing a letter to my younger self feels kind of weird. Time travel fantasies... such a geek *shakes his head*. Uh, please don't publish that last bit   Shocked Embarrassed 

====

Hi, Stephen

It’s me. Well, surely you recognise the sound of my voice? You’ve talked enough to me in the past. Didn’t expect a reply, did you? I know life’s pretty complex at the moment, things are really messed up and broken. Well, here’s a secret: you can’t fix it. No, don’t you dare open your mouth in protest. Not. Your. Problem. You’re a kid, don’t be in such a rush to grow up.

Don’t look at me like that. I know how you are. When have you ever asked the question “what do I really want?” How long till you do something for yourself for a change, huh? I would tell you but you’d just get depressed.

When last did you cry? No, that’s not a good thing, how can you love if you’re not prepared to cry? Yes, love, damnit, don’t pretend you haven’t thought about it. What are you afraid of? I’d give you a hint, but you’re not ready. Just... try not to be so hard on yourself, ok?

You can do and have anything you want. Just remember, you are beautiful and precious. You know if I say so it must be true.

Oh, and don’t ever stop singing. You need that.
jdhunter27
Addicted Boarder

« Reply #9 on: 06 May 2009, 08:16:PM »

There's actually a site based on this kind of idea at http://www.futureme.org/, which is pretty neat. I received an email from my 17 year-old self on my birthday last year that I completely forgot writing.

Dear me,

First of all, quit letting all the horror stories you've been reading on the internetz get to you, you're not going to end up like Brandon Teena - although, I'd stay away from those kids you've been hanging out with when you do come out, because they won't take too kindly to it. The 'rents will be fine, and so will the crazy sisters, they all adjust well. But do get it over with, because you'll be a lot happier, trust me on this one!

Hang out with H* and you'll be better off for it, she's a fantastic girl and she'll be there for you when you really need it, just like you will be in return, because things get rough. Plus, she'll introduce you to the guy you'll fall head over heels for Wink

Don't go live with your mother when she finally decides to come back into your life, and do not go flatting with the girls you know from high school - you'll be scammed out of a significant amount of money and then evicted.

Do call that therapist, because she's awesome and she'll get you to where you need to be. And don't bother with Journalism, because though you're stubborn and will try to stick with it, it will suck the life out of you.

Don't buy into the bullshit people are going to try to feed you as a condition of validating who you are; you don't need to be manly, heterosexual, ineloquent and crass to be a man.

Overall, have faith in yourself, you can achieve more than you think you can. And try not to be so shy or you'll miss a lot of opportunities to make good friends and get involved in things you want to get involved in. Go to every SS4Q and Kaha you can, don't sulk and miss out!

Oops, this got long  Embarrassed
Philly Boi:P
Hidden Amongest The Clouds
Addicted Boarder

Hahahaha.....right....

« Reply #10 on: 06 May 2009, 08:27:PM »

Dear Phillip
You won't ever guess who this is hahaha
It's your future self! omg I know hahaha
O.k seriously down to business, and I mean business I'm not trying to sleep with you hahaha joking!.
Mum loves you and telling her your gay won't destroy your friendship on any level...infact she'll be the one who wants to give you advice all the time like a good friend.
School sucks I know but hey study hard...you don't love michelle infact your only jealouys she has a bf and you don't...you suck at relationships with girls...answer to why?
Because you are a faggot, gay, homo, fudge packer(lol) just go with it:)
Never lose your faith in your heart because it's served me well so far so trust it from now yeah?
Steven Lloyd isn't gay so don't keep asking him for a pash...but when you get the chance to hug him in bed...go for it..you'll see why:)
Okay after digging up all the lotto results for the past year....I say go for the 1. something mill or bill thats about to come up later on in the year or the next...(listed below)
Yes you are one of the hot kids and acting like your oblivious to it will make you even better.
Your teachers all love you and want your babies...Noella can't like you because your charming right?
Sandys gonna be a bitch to you if you don't go to class like you should, instead your gonna get stoned...do it hahaha
If I were you right now...I'd say your thinking what the fuck.....but hey I am too being able to send this to you!
Cut your hair but don't do it for your grandparents as they disown you later.
Now I will send you another letter in a few years...when your eighteen you'll get the letter.
Now smile bitch and have fun O.K?
Love ya xxx
Yourself(Phillip A.K.A kaotik)

Peowpeow material coming through!
sillybunny
« Reply #11 on: 06 May 2009, 09:48:PM »

HAI!
Don't be shy, tell to your History teacher that she's an old bitch and she should teach to her kinds how to live, not us!!! Then spit on her face and leave the class with a great feeling of awsomness!

Don't kiss with ur neibour, he'll end up with suicide when he'll hit 18!

Don't pull out an earing from chick who is bullying you, she's not worth it and you'll finish your millitary school with excellence!

Wash your teeth before sleep,

Your best friend is not gay, however you've slept with him

I love you,

SUPERsillybunny
niuginiboi
----

« Reply #12 on: 06 May 2009, 10:06:PM »

Dearest Me,

Forgive yourself for the past.........so you can live in the present.
Go through the pain you're living with...........it will only make you stronger.
Love and accept everyone around you even when they are cruel to you........be an example for them.
Enjoy your family.............they will always love you.
Always remember to smile............it ignites a light in others.
Everything and anything is possible for you.....just believe in yourself.
Believe in God.......it's better to have believed in pure love than nothing at all.
Follow your gut instinct..............your mind tends to deceive you at times.
The answers you seek are within you..........nothing external to you can give you pure happiness.
Ask for guidance.......the people you meet on your life path will teach you many lessons.
Be quiet and still....................there is great power in silence.
Don't be afraid to make mistakes........as long as you learn from them.
Everything does truly happen for a reason....believe that and you'll be at peace with yourself.
Lastly......THANK YOU for being all that you can be and doing all that you could do.

loving you always
ME
Rhysior
I Sleep Here !

All you need is love

« Reply #13 on: 06 May 2009, 10:53:PM »

Dear me.....

Find a job, quick!!
Study more at exams, alot more and not just enough so you can pass them.
Be more organised. (It'd save you problems later on in life.)
Be more Honest with your self, and to the people around you.
Experiance all what you can, and take life by the balls.
Oh and don't be shy, be more self confidant.
Don't give up.
Don't lose hope.
Be your self, and people would like you in the end, because you're never alone.

Rhys....

PS: join a gym Tongue

In a world gone mad, save your self....and that cute guy across the road
Lumiere
I Sleep Here !

Just say yes.

« Reply #14 on: 06 May 2009, 11:02:PM »

Can you send that to yourself now Rhys?

Context, when taken out of it, can be a truly, madly and deeply profound thing.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: