National Library of New Zealand
Harvested by the National Library of New Zealand on: Oct 11 2009 at 4:01:58 GMT
Search boxes and external links may not function. Having trouble viewing this page? Click here
Close Minimize Help
Wayback Machine
GayNZ.com Home

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
11 October 2009, 05:01:PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bisexuality - Exploding the myths  (Read 223 times)
Matt Akersten
I Sleep Here !

« on: 23 August 2009, 09:08:AM »

The facilitator of a new social group for bisexual men and women in the Waikato/Bay of Plenty area sets the record straight about being bi…

http://www.gaynz.com/articles/publish/35/article_7808.php

We're keen on your thoughts. Do you identify as bi? Do you think bisexuality is more common than many people admit?
jdhunter27
Addicted Boarder

« Reply #1 on: 23 August 2009, 09:38:AM »

I think this is worth a read by most people: http://t-vox.org/index.php?title=Bisexuality

Although 'bisexual' is the most widely accepted term, I think a lot of people prefer to steer away from the stigma of being labelled as such. Some also find the label restrictive, considering 'bi' conjures the 'two' image, making people think you (as a bisexual) are attracted to men and women only, whereas your definition and attraction (like the author of your article) may not be so limited. IMO this is why people choose to identify otherwise, with labels like pansexual, omnisexual, bi-permissive, et cetera. But even then, people in relationships may avoid "outing" themselves as such to avoid drama. For eg. I identify as pansexual, but because I'm in a gay relationship, I let people draw their own conclusions to avoid dealing with unnecessary questions and judgement (from both the heterosexual and queer communities).
etapeanutbutter
Addicted Boarder

« Reply #2 on: 23 August 2009, 09:49:AM »

oh god. The labels again.
jdhunter27
Addicted Boarder

« Reply #3 on: 23 August 2009, 09:54:AM »

oh, suck it up  Wink
mark0159
----

« Reply #4 on: 23 August 2009, 11:20:AM »

if they want to have both sides of the coin then let them.

i'm not going to judge for if I did then I allow people to judge me.

and I love labels, if not labels then I am sure I would keep getting the smooth peanut butter at the supermarket and I hate that stuff.  It's got to have nuts in it Smile
tyrez
Honorary Lesbian
Regular Boarder

« Reply #5 on: 23 August 2009, 11:49:AM »

I don't understand why there is stigma surrounding bisexuality from the view point of homosexuals, surely gays and lesbians should know best of all people that sexual orientation is not black and white but is a continuum with a lot of grey bits in the middle.

I heard from one of my friends in mental health that 10% of the population are strictly straight, 10% are strictly gay and 80% are placed on a scale somewhere in between. The percentages could be slightly inaccurate but I believe the principal itself is correct.

I personally choose to identify myself as gay to others only cause it avoids so much hassle in explanations including a lot of if's and but's. In the end I don't really care if that's not totally correct because I hate labels.
°hizumi
Regular Boarder

« Reply #6 on: 23 August 2009, 02:18:PM »

This is incredibly confusing to me.

Partially because definition and identifying with 'straight, gay bi etc' is that its meaning is different to everybody, so it's extremely difficult to push someone unwillingly into a box.

Also, part of the reason why bisexuality is less credible to a lot of homosexual/straight people is that it's not uncommon for someone to come out as bi before eventually deciding to identify as homosexual. Unfortunately, its an attractive label for confused people.

The most important thing though is to know what you want and be honest with yourself, and try not to conform (or worry so much about stereotypes).
deep388
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #7 on: 23 August 2009, 04:36:PM »

I don't think many people are 100% gay or 100% straight...I think most people are bisexual to some degree, some may not know it, but they are (refer to the Kinsey scale).

If that scale is accurate, then it would mean that 1/7 (About 14%) of all people are 100% heterosexual. Another I should add is that the rating "X" is for asexuality, but that's less than 1% of all people.Also, for transgendered people there are no ratings for actually being transgendered, but it depends who the person is attracted to, not whether they feel they are male or female. Anyway, I think there are people who are 100% straight or 100% gay, just not nearly as much as some degree of bisexuality...

jdhunter27
Addicted Boarder

« Reply #8 on: 23 August 2009, 04:57:PM »

I don't think many people are 100% gay or 100% straight...I think most people are bisexual to some degree, some may not know it, but they are (refer to the Kinsey scale).

If that scale is accurate, then it would mean that 1/7 (About 14%) of all people are 100% heterosexual. Another I should add is that the rating "X" is for asexuality, but that's less than 1% of all people.Also, for transgendered people there are no ratings for actually being transgendered, but it depends who the person is attracted to, not whether they feel they are male or female. Anyway, I think there are people who are 100% straight or 100% gay, just not nearly as much as some degree of bisexuality...

For the most part I agree. The Kinsey scale is a pretty interesting thing IMO. I'm just wondering why you mentioned trans people =\
In most trans communities IRL and online, you will often find a variety of sexualities regardless of gender identity, ranging from heterosexual all the way to asexual and everything in between.  Smiley
°hizumi
Regular Boarder

« Reply #9 on: 23 August 2009, 06:01:PM »

The kinsey scale is far from perfect. It's overly simplistic, ambiguous and a bit outdated imo. Also self-reporting isn't the most accurate and reliable way to collect data, but measuring sexuality is no simple task.

What does "incidentally homosexual/hereosexual" mean anyway?
Addicted Boarder

I like control. And I like losing control.

« Reply #10 on: 24 August 2009, 01:40:AM »

i respect a person's decision to identify in whichever way they choose
the writer of the article said:
"Here is my personal definition:
Bisexuality is having the potential to be sexually/romantically attracted to someone from anywhere on the gender spectrum – male, female, transgender or intersex."
this to me is a [at least partial] definition of 'queer' - which is how i choose to identify, it's a way of identifying without getting into specifics
identity is, of course, conferred externally, so I can identify as queer till the cows come home, but that won't alter the fact that my family identify me as gay and that my fuck-buddy identifies me as bitch
:>

Gosh, you're quite cool really.
runmod
cj 22
----

oui non peut-être

« Reply #11 on: 10 September 2009, 02:45:PM »

nothing wrong with being bi,

whats wrong with loving a person regardless of who they are.

love is love and transcends most boundaries so why judge

kawaii
« Reply #12 on: 10 September 2009, 03:05:PM »

The views exist because of crappy experiences; guys and girls calling themselves bisexual when in reality they're playing the field to find out whether they like cock or twatt.

Call me insensitive but I don't feel like being some sort of lab rat for them to find out whether they're one way or another. Bisexual men who claim they're into guys but can't form a damn relationship because all men are to them is a sexual outlet when the can't get a woman.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: