National Library of New Zealand
Harvested by the National Library of New Zealand on: Oct 11 2009 at 3:48:29 GMT
Search boxes and external links may not function. Having trouble viewing this page? Click here
Close Minimize Help
Wayback Machine
GayNZ Logo & Link
Sunday 11 October 2009


Government: 'Provocation defence must go'

Posted in: New Zealand Daily News
By GayNZ.com Daily News Staff - 23rd July 2009

Latest News
Urge bar's Slave Auction makes $6K for OUTLine
Boyzone's gay star Stephen Gately found dead
Turkey's two main gay websites blocked to locals
Green MP will discuss adoption law reform
Muslim soccer team refuses to play gays
Student mag editor slams 'phobe: "Grow some balls"
Topp Twins' manager for lesbian business meet
Queensland man was 'provoked' by gay pass
Jamaica: Suspect arrested over killing of NZer
Obama nominating gay ambassador to NZ
Out Takes Film Festival will return, but not to Chch
Dragged-up duo kick ass in Welsh street fight
K' Road divas do their bit for stricken Samoa
Urge bar reveals Slave Auction goodies
Takataapui Awards Night "honoured our leaders"
Graham Norton's down on his luck
'Little Britain' star's ex-husband kills himself
Sohomo crew are 'Over the Rainbow'
Fun week planned for Kiwi Bears in February
UK: 'Anti-gay' slang number plates pulled

The partial provocation defence, which has lead several killers of gay men in New Zealand to be given a lighter sentence of manslaughter instead of murder, will be removed from the statute books, Justice Minister Simon Power is expected to announce today.

crime.jpg
Prime Minister John Key told media this morning he believes Power will be able to drum up enough support in Cabinet to abolish the defence.

The trial of Clayton Weatherston, who argued that he'd been 'provoked' into stabbing his girlfriend Sophie Elliot 216 times, and Hungarian tourist Ferdinand Ambach's successful defence - that elderly gay man Ron Brown had provoked him, leading to Ambach beating him several times with a banjo and then wrecking his house - lead to the families of both victims to express their disgust at the 'archaic' and 'completely unnecessary' defence.

High-powered gay lawyer and now Labour list MP Charles Chauvel told GayNZ.com last week that the provocation defence is a travesty and must be done away with. He and Opposition Spokesperson on Justice Lianne Dalziel were drafting a Private Member's Bill which would delete the defence, which dates back to the Crimes Acts, passed in 1961.

The Law Commission recommended the partial defence of provocation be removed from the Crimes Act in 2001 and again in 2007.


   Bookmark and Share