National Library of New Zealand
Harvested by the National Library of New Zealand on: Oct 10 2009 at 10:47:25 GMT
Search boxes and external links may not function. Having trouble viewing this page? Click here
Close Minimize Help
Wayback Machine
GayNZ.com Home

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
10 October 2009, 11:54:PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Mates and Lovers" - play at BATS theatre  (Read 66 times)
Jim
Hardcore Boarder

« on: 25 September 2009, 12:14:AM »

Very impressed with this production.  Went along not really knowing what to expect.  Two guys act out short scenes from the award winning book by Chris Brickell.  They sing a bit and do some of that paired modern dance that looks gymnastic. 

Sounds simple, right?  But they show gay men's history from the 1880's to modern day, act as drag queens, Yankees stationed here, show entrapment and medical (mis)treatment, and more with 2 chairs, simple clothing (and unclothing) in a really powerful way.  OK a few times near the start the actors' speech and accents were a bit hard to understand, but overall great work.  Best piece of theatre I've seen in Wellington in years.   Cool

It has a short run until 3 October.  See www.bats.co.nz for show times.

tenicks
Addicted Boarder

My Cat Rocket

« Reply #1 on: 25 September 2009, 12:16:AM »

Thanks for the review Jim, I interested in going myself... and still haven't managed to get a copy of the Book....

"If I agreed with you, then we'd both be wrong."
Jim
Hardcore Boarder

« Reply #2 on: 25 September 2009, 12:30:AM »

try borrowing the book from your local library.  if they don't own it they can buy or interloan it.  

that way you have an excuse not to read the whole book if the prospect of reading hundreds of pages puts you off.

« Last Edit: 25 September 2009, 12:42:AM by Jim » Logged
tenicks
Addicted Boarder

My Cat Rocket

« Reply #3 on: 25 September 2009, 02:01:AM »

try borrowing the book from your local library.  if they don't own it they can buy or interloan it.  

that way you have an excuse not to read the whole book if the prospect of reading hundreds of pages puts you off.

It would be a book for the book-shelve... (Keeps) its about $40 on trade me I thinks...

"If I agreed with you, then we'd both be wrong."
thedancingcookie
----

« Reply #4 on: 25 September 2009, 01:12:PM »

Beautiful play - I am no theatre fan but I loved it.  Fantastic view of our history.  Plus, hot, naked guys on stage - it doesn't get better than that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: