National Library of New Zealand
Harvested by the National Library of New Zealand on: Oct 10 2009 at 9:43:35 GMT
Search boxes and external links may not function. Having trouble viewing this page? Click here
Close Minimize Help
Wayback Machine
GayNZ.com Home

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
10 October 2009, 10:47:PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Student mag editor slams 'phobe: "Grow some balls"  (Read 261 times)
irishkiwi
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #45 on: Yesterday at 11:30 PM »

Do you mean us being censored..? or censorship in general.
If anything, Television gets away with a lot more than we do.

It is odd now that u mention it.

Tv shows A LOT that if a member of the public said to smone else there would be a weeee bit of a reaction.

Do you have a flag?   

We dont need a bloody flag, its our country you bastard!

No flag, no country. You can't have one.
kinda_invisable
Limited treatment
I Sleep Here !

The walk home was suprisingly easy

« Reply #46 on: Yesterday at 11:33 PM »

I like your points of view K.I.
Apart from Georgina Beyers, even I don't know these role models... We have to help change/educate people, leaving it for others (outside the Gay community) isn't going to help much.

Wouldnt it be great, instead of having anonymous fingers telling us a story to actually have real people str8 and bent come out and talk about the mix the difference and honouring that mix that difference in everyday terms and everyday life.  Every time I see Bimbo (from the drag duo Buffi and Bimbo) on the building commercial I get a kick out of the fact that he is doing something that is so ordinary and commonplace.  I doubt very many people outside auckland ho community would know its Bimbo.  But the thing is, we have so many ho's living such ordinary lives we tend to lose sight of them.  The mucking in series - the garden designer. (Sorry so long ago I have forgotten their names).  Bruce Allpress doing the insurance ads 55plus (think he might be dead now).  Many more.  Helen Medlyn a fantastic and successful mezzo soprano (critics likened her work to that of Sarah Brightman) loyal and good friend to our community.  Jock Hobbs, Bryan Williams, Buck Shelford friends to our cause for equal rights in the sports and active in anti homophobia.  Yvonne Willering a former netball coach and lesbian. Dame Susan Devoy - friend to our cause.  The list goes on.  All of these people are out there, and are virtually unknown to both homos and straights.

The reason why I feel we have won the war is because we are everywhere, along with our friends doing normal everyday things.  In the 1980s we were hidden, hated, ignored, persecuted, dying.  I see us today as the most amazing set of people living with the most amazing set of people doing the most amazing things that were once a dream and figment of our existence.  My God we are just too fab for words and this total nob gets us upset over something so trivial?  Not only should he grow balls.  So should we. Smile

correction: its buffi and bimbo not bambi
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 11:57 PM by kinda_invisable » Logged

Never let your enemies know what you are thinking - Michael Corleone Godfather Pt 3 LOL
irishkiwi
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #47 on: Yesterday at 11:31 PM »

My God we are just too fab for words and this total nob gets us upset over something so trivial?  Not only should he grow balls.  So should we. Smile

Ok, u have gotten sweeter.

Must be the head-dress.

Do you have a flag?   

We dont need a bloody flag, its our country you bastard!

No flag, no country. You can't have one.
tenicks
Addicted Boarder

My Cat Rocket

« Reply #48 on: Yesterday at 11:37 PM »

Wouldnt it be great, instead of having anonymous fingers telling us a story to actually have real people str8 and bent come out and talk about the mix the difference and honouring that mix that difference in everyday terms and everyday life.  Every time I see Bambi ....

I don't know Bambi (but I don't go out a lot)... as for come out and talk, I have a Production company.. I'd cover the costs to make a show or 6...
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 11:44 PM by tenicks » Logged

"If I agreed with you, then we'd both be wrong."
kinda_invisable
Limited treatment
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #49 on: Yesterday at 11:46 PM »

Ok, u have gotten sweeter.

Must be the head-dress.

LOL shutup.  I am still a bitch.  I just refuse to let stupid minor things debilitate what we as gays lesbians and transgender have achieved so far.  And there is more work to do on behalf of our transgenders sisters and brothers.  But nothing can ever move us back to the dark days.  And Tenicks get the idea working.  Give us something to celebrate by February 2010!!!!!! Smile

Never let your enemies know what you are thinking - Michael Corleone Godfather Pt 3 LOL
tenicks
Addicted Boarder

My Cat Rocket

« Reply #50 on: Yesterday at 11:47 PM »

LOL shutup.  I am still a bitch.  I just refuse to let stupid minor things debilitate what we as gays lesbians and transgender have achieved so far.  And there is more work to do on behalf of our transgenders sisters and brothers.  But nothing can ever move us back to the dark days.  And Tenicks get the idea working.  Give us something to celebrate by February 2010!!!!!! Smile

Hummm  Roll Eyes

Addicted Boarder

I like control. And I like losing control.

« Reply #51 on: Today at 02:49 AM »

yet another cautionary tale about who venture across the bridge to the cultural wasteland that is the North Shore
let this be a lesson to all of us - don't go there

tenicks - it's self-hating faggots with immature us and them notions that give 'the community' a 'bad name'
take Analiesse's advice:
"I'd grow some balls if I were you. It's just embarrassing."

Gosh, you're quite cool really.
Lumiere
I Sleep Here !

Just say yes.

« Reply #52 on: Today at 11:09 AM »

At dinner last night, three delightful gentlemen were chatting up three very attractive Russian girls (and seemed to be doing quite well with them).  One of the guys started the "that's so gay" line to describe something and then he seamlessly segued into discussing "faggots".  I leant across and put him in his place and he apologised saying he meant nothing by it.

Should I have "hardened up" - absolutely not.  He used it in a joking way - but the mere use of the word coming out of his mouth was offensive to myself, my date, the waitress- and obviously the girls they were trying to pull - they left immediately. 

He may be entitled to his opinion, but my answer to his "freedom of speech" if he'd continued, would have been a smack in the mouth.

Context, when taken out of it, can be a truly, madly and deeply profound thing.
tenicks
Addicted Boarder

My Cat Rocket

« Reply #53 on: Today at 12:59 PM »

....and obviously the girls they were trying to pull - they left immediately. 

He may be entitled to his opinion, but my answer to his "freedom of speech" if he'd continued, would have been a smack in the mouth.

I understand what you are saying, but who gives you the right to tell someone what to say/not say or believe...? Who makes you right...?
Its a fine line - and as said before, The Television gets away with saying worse (TV shows) so its seen as the norm... give it a year or so and Paul Henry willbe using it to discribe his guests...

And as for a smack in the mouth... as much as I'd would have done that a couple years ago, it doesn't help.

tenicks
Addicted Boarder

My Cat Rocket

« Reply #54 on: Today at 01:00 PM »

....tenicks - it's self-hating faggots with immature us and them notions that give 'the community' a 'bad name'
take Analiesse's advice:

Who's Analiesse's....?

kinda_invisable
Limited treatment
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #55 on: Today at 01:22 PM »

At dinner last night, three delightful gentlemen were chatting up three very attractive Russian girls (and seemed to be doing quite well with them).  One of the guys started the "that's so gay" line to describe something and then he seamlessly segued into discussing "faggots".  I leant across and put him in his place and he apologised saying he meant nothing by it.

Should I have "hardened up" - absolutely not.  He used it in a joking way - but the mere use of the word coming out of his mouth was offensive to myself, my date, the waitress- and obviously the girls they were trying to pull - they left immediately. 

I was at the Practitioners Pub one night with a friend.  I went downstairs to the toilet.  Two men who had been sitting at the same leaner we were drinking at, came in.  One said to the other: "We have got to stop meeting down here like this.  People will think we're gay."  Now I wasnt sure if they were saying it for the benefit of my presence knowing or having heard my conversation with a friend about a gay event or not.  But I kept my mouth shut and went back upstairs.  The two men arrived later to join the rest of their friends.  I decided I needed to say something so in a loud voice, I said to my friend, that the two men across from us were in the toilet making a stupid joke about meeting up and being mistaken for gays.  At which point they and their friends turned to look at me.  I ignored them and continued on - much to the embarassment of my friend - and said "I struggle to understand how two badly dressed excellent examples of overweight obese straight manliness with an unattractive bulge between their overhanging tits and their pelvic area could possibly be mistaken for gay men."  At which point their group went deathly silent and the two men were tinged red.

The encounter momentarily, made me feel good but my friend was embarrassed and I had hurt and shamed people who should not have been in the line of fire nor subjected to my own insecurities surrounding my sexuality. We have the ability to return fire when these situations arise.  But is it necessary?  I know that the next day I felt absolute regret about having shot these two men down for just being stupid.  And more importantly, I regretted it because I indulged in operating at a negative level and reacted on the basis of latent insecurities.  Something I have tried very hard to avoid.  

Lumiere
I Sleep Here !

Just say yes.

« Reply #56 on: Today at 01:46 PM »

I understand what you are saying, but who gives you the right to tell someone what to say/not say or believe...? Who makes you right...?

They may have the right to say it, but I give myself the right to not to have to listen to it. 

juju
I Sleep Here !

Andy & me

« Reply #57 on: Today at 01:58 PM »

Zut alors! Folie chez le French Cafe!
Lumiere
I Sleep Here !

Just say yes.

« Reply #58 on: Today at 02:00 PM »

Zut alors! Folie chez le French Cafe!

Nah - that's tonight.  Flight got delayed - this was Prego.

juju
I Sleep Here !

Andy & me

« Reply #59 on: Today at 02:08 PM »

Putuna de mumma! Follia a Prego!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: