National Library of New Zealand
Harvested by the National Library of New Zealand on: Apr 8 2009 at 17:23:27 GMT
Search boxes and external links may not function. Having trouble viewing this page? Click here
Close Minimize Help
Wayback Machine
GayNZ.com Home
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's talk about Hero  (Read 622 times)
Matt Akersten
I Sleep Here !

« on: 25 March 2009, 03:44:PM »

Auckland had a vibrant LGBT Festival this year - but only just. So where do we go to from here? Do we need another Hero?

http://www.gaynz.com/articles/publish/21/article_7247.php

Do you agree with what the folks in the article have said?
And if Auckland's LGBT Festival gets a new identity, can anyone think of a great new name for it?

We're keen for your views below.
ibne
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #1 on: 25 March 2009, 05:24:PM »

ONe type Matt - it wasn't underground at the Studio but at the Transmission Room

I recognize my limits but when I look around I realise I am not living exactly in a world of giants
MrCynical
breakdown countdown
Addicted Boarder

Im usually angrier looking

« Reply #2 on: 25 March 2009, 05:36:PM »

Why do we need a hero parade again?  The only real homophobia left in nz are from
The christians and we all know they can't be reasoned with. The others are the ignorant who think that gay people are all half naked screaming queens who want to take them roughly from behind.

Hero parade would help that how?

Matt Akersten
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #3 on: 25 March 2009, 05:39:PM »

Fixed now, thanks Ibne, and the people who texted me to point it out! x
irishkiwi
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #4 on: 25 March 2009, 06:46:PM »

God, just let it DIE!!!!! They need to stop trying to relive thier glory days. Move on people. Dump the name HERO, stop going on about Pride. Just accept the world as moved on.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.  ~Dr. Seuss
Pollyfilla
Addicted Boarder

*May contain traces of NUTS...

« Reply #5 on: 25 March 2009, 10:56:PM »

In the immortal words of Tina Turner...

"We don't need another HERO......"

(Sorry, I just couldn't resist!)  BigGrin
Tommi
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #6 on: 25 March 2009, 10:59:PM »

And every time I read  the subject line here, I want to say 'No, let's not...'

acestaa
« Reply #7 on: 26 March 2009, 02:29:PM »

I agree - get rid of it.
Mark Anthony
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #8 on: 27 March 2009, 09:19:AM »

If the consensus is that Hero should be abandoned then what, if anything is it to be replaced with it? And what will the new 'organisation/event' be called? I like the idea of 'Queer Fest'.
tones
Addicted Boarder

« Reply #9 on: 28 March 2009, 02:16:AM »

To be honest, I don't remember Hero and don't associate myself with it...then again I'm nearing 25 so it was somewhat before my time.

Does the Hero brand and culture still hold the same principles and ideals as in yesteryear i.e. celebrating the hero you are etc and could younger people stil connect wtih that ideal? Given that most younger than me at least, haven't had to face half the societal problems/stigamtisation of homosexuaility?

You're only as young as the person you feel ...
siegfriedhans
Addicted Boarder

« Reply #10 on: 28 March 2009, 03:15:AM »

done its day..fulfilled its objectives...done...we don't even need a dance party really...we can go and dance at any of the 4000 dance parties every weekend in auckland. I'ts done. Stick a fork in it...it's done. Glad to be a part of it for a very long time now, but any future instances of the 'hero' brand speak more to me of the want for cash of the promoter and less of a need for such a event.

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." Terry Pratchett
italianwgtn
Addicted Boarder

« Reply #11 on: 28 March 2009, 08:30:AM »

Hero i think should be left alone - but something needs to replace it or you'll have those aucklanders who wont let go for nostalgic reasons 2 it try and breath life back in it..

I have a idea lets rename it DRAGSTAR-seems most aucklanders have obsession with it do it and think its great fun
all participants get dressed up in drag and go to dance party
hang on-wait a sec-that is a typical sat night out on Auckland  Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue

Solo nel vostro incubo
MrCynical
breakdown countdown
Addicted Boarder

Im usually angrier looking

« Reply #12 on: 29 March 2009, 11:18:PM »

Does the Hero brand and culture still hold the same principles and ideals as in yesteryear i.e. celebrating the hero you are etc and could younger people stil connect wtih that ideal? Given that most younger than me at least, haven't had to face half the societal problems/stigamtisation of homosexuaility?

You pretty much summed it up.  You don't need to be brave to be gay anymore, coming out isn't anymore heroic than getting pubic hair

Mark Anthony
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #13 on: 30 March 2009, 09:00:AM »

Except MrCynical it is a brave new world you are entering into, fraught with problems, dangers and pitfalls...
scottied
Casual Boarder

« Reply #14 on: 30 March 2009, 10:49:AM »

Looking forward to seeing you all there tonight at 6pm!

s
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: