National Library of New Zealand
Harvested by the National Library of New Zealand on: Apr 8 2009 at 11:08:35 GMT
Search boxes and external links may not function. Having trouble viewing this page? Click here
Close Minimize Help
Wayback Machine
GayNZ.com Home
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Six gay men murdered in Iraqi slum  (Read 100 times)
tenicks
Hardcore Boarder

« on: 06 April 2009, 11:49:PM »

Two gay men have been found dead in the Baghdad Shiite slum of Sadr City following condemnations of homosexuality by a leading local cleric. It has also emerged today that a further four were murdered in March.

The Shiite cleric Sattar al-Battat has reportedly repeatedly been condemning homosexuality in Friday prayers.

Iraqi police said that the two men were killed on Thursday and that they believed the perpetrators were their family, shamed by their homosexuality. Associated Press report that the police believe this because no one have yet claimed their bodies or called for an investigation.

Last month, Iraqi police found four bodies buried near the slums with the words "pervert" and "puppies" on their chests. "Puppy" being used as derogatory word used to describe gay people in the region.

"When the Mahdi army was in control, such practices were banned, and homosexuals were afraid of declaring their tendencies," an unnamed official told the Associated Press. But since the Mahdi Army cease fire a coffee shop has apparently become a hangout for gay men.

"Queers are being shot dead in their homes, streets and workplaces," he added. "Even suspected gay children are being murdered. They killers claim to be doing these assassinations at the behest of the 'democratic' Iraqi government, in order to eradicate what they see as immoral, un-Islamic behaviour."

Source: Pink News UK

"If I agreed with you, then we'd both be wrong."
irishkiwi
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 12:02 AM »

Good to see how safe Iraq has become since its liberation. Its just like America now.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.  ~Dr. Seuss
tenicks
Hardcore Boarder

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 12:07 AM »

Good to see how safe Iraq has become since its liberation. Its just like America now.

There was also a News Article last week saying they planned to Kill Gay males heard in a jail in Iraq.

Lumiere
Hardcore Boarder

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 12:09 AM »

There was also a News Article last week saying they planned to Kill Gay males heard in a jail in Iraq.

check out the genocide topic as well.  I discussed this with a member of the opposition today and he said they were going to try and push to make sure that an international statement of condemnation was made by New Zealand.
tenicks
Hardcore Boarder

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 12:16 AM »

check out the genocide topic as well.  I discussed this with a member of the opposition today and he said they were going to try and push to make sure that an international statement of condemnation was made by New Zealand.

I hope NZ does show a sign of Condemnation, we have our rights so I surpose as a community we could try and be a voice to others in other countries... but at least the NZ Government should condem the actions.

Lumiere
Hardcore Boarder

« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 12:17 AM »

I hope NZ does show a sign of Condemnation, we have our rights so I surpose as a community we could try and be a voice to others in other countries... but at least the NZ Government should condem the actions.

Actually, it was probably your MP I had the discussion with.  He's a great guy!
irishkiwi
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 12:16 AM »

The question now is, what will America say about this.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.  ~Dr. Seuss
tenicks
Hardcore Boarder

« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 12:32 AM »

The question now is, what will America say about this.

I'd say the rights of  the homosexual population of Iraq is right at the bottom of the list for Americans in Iraq... if its on the list at all.
Not to say that I'd have the guts to go over there and burn my bra for equal rights for same sex couples...

tenicks
Hardcore Boarder

« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 12:40 AM »

FYI: Story from last week

Gay fears in Iraq bloodbath plan

Amnesty International reports that Iraq authorities are planning to execute 128 prisoners this week - and it believes many of them were imprisoned just for being gay.

There have been several police raids on gay parties recently, and at least five of those on the execution list are LGBT equality campaigners, reports the UK's Pink Paper.
Starting this week, the Iraqi authorities are planning to kill the prisoners in batches of 20, it is believed.
Britain has troops in Iraq and gay campaigners in the UK are hoping that they will intervene to stop the planned executions.

Ex: GayNZ

prometheus
Regular Boarder

« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 07:58 AM »

Where was the strong condemnation from the gay community about the genocidal Western Embargo on Iraq during the 90s? Or the continuing American war on Iraq?

Let me guess, too busy discussing Madge's and Kylie's wardrobe. Roll Eyes

The West has unleashed hell on earth over there but the only thing the gay 'community' can do is get concerned when a few of their own are in trouble?
AJ
Regular Boarder

« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 03:58 PM »

Where was the strong condemnation from the gay community about the genocidal Western Embargo on Iraq during the 90s? Or the continuing American war on Iraq?

The West has unleashed hell on earth over there but the only thing the gay 'community' can do is get concerned when a few of their own are in trouble?

We heard the same crap from John Tamahere on Radio Live a few years ago.  "Why isn't the gay community complaining about the lot of Maori?  Why isn't it complaining about poverty?"  Well, why aren't poor people or Maori complaining about the lot of gay people? 
Other than that, does anyone REALLY have to answer these questions?  Does the poster actually believe that LGBT people are the only community that is actively concerned about issues surrounding its own people?  Seriously, how bloody pathetic a post am I compelled to respond to right now. 
tenicks
Hardcore Boarder

« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 08:22 PM »

Well I supported the "NO WAR" protest's here is NZ, but are you saying I should have been wearing a Pink shirt...?

Fluffs
Addicted Boarder

« Reply #12 on: Today at 10:49 AM »

Well I supported the "NO WAR" protest's here is NZ, but are you saying I should have been wearing a Pink shirt...?

I didnt support no war!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: