National Library of New Zealand
Harvested by the National Library of New Zealand on: Oct 9 2008 at 2:53:24 GMT
Search boxes and external links may not function. Having trouble viewing this page? Click here
Close Minimize Help
Wayback Machine
GayNZ.com Home
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  

News: Red. Green. Blue. Pink. And all the rest... Find the whole spectrum of opinion here.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Police want all K' Road bars shut at 3am  (Read 1010 times)
Daily News
Regular Boarder

« on: 11 July 2008, 09:13:AM »

K' Road gay hotspot Family bar would be forced to close at 3am every night if a Police plan to get tough on violent crime is accepted by the council.

Telling the NZ Herald "nothing good happens after 3am," Senior Sergeant Ben Offner says the Police have requested to the Council for Auckland's licensed venues be forced to close at 3am, and stop admitting new patrons after 1am. Patrons already inside would be able to stay there until closing time, they suggest.

If the request is accepted, Auckland's nightlife - and particularly its gay clubbing scene - would radically change. Similar council-enforced bar curfews are in place in other New Zealand cities including Hamilton and Christchurch.

Family bar's busiest time is after 1am on Friday and Saturday nights. Their resident DJ Starli says she's seen curfews in place from working on Australia's Gold Coast, and knows they don't actually reduce crime. "Rules like this actually make the problem worse.

"Being forced to chuck everyone out at 3 O'clock means a whole bunch of people are out on the streets at that time with nowhere to go. And you'd get people binge drinking just before the bars close. I think it's a very bad idea."
« Last Edit: 11 July 2008, 09:24:AM by NEWS » Logged
Mickeydee
Casual Boarder

« Reply #1 on: 11 July 2008, 11:17:AM »

They have a 3am close down in Palmerston North, at 3 o'clock the police line up outside each of the bars and wait for the violence to start, I can't think of anything worse at 3am than dealing with an alcohol fueled horde.

What about the people would will end up binge drinking to "get their nights worth" in before 3am?

What about the one way door policy? will it apply to everybody? only drinkers? will photographers still be able to move between events?

Deep in the night, When I hear no sound,
I feel my heartbeat slowing down, My mind's released,
I'm free to wonder, As I sleep.
clasp 2.0
Hardcore Boarder

« Reply #2 on: 11 July 2008, 11:19:AM »

"nothing good happens after 3am," Senior Sergeant Ben Offner says

Maybe not at your parties Pointdexter.
AntaresNZ
Hardcore Boarder

« Reply #3 on: 11 July 2008, 11:29:AM »

Maybe the curfew will encourage partying to start earlier, as it does in many European and American centres.  I'm always interested in the comments that many visitors make when they come here regarding the times that bars get busy etc.  A good friend of mine is from Manchester and he says that Canal Street, and other parts of the town start to get busy at far more civilised hours like 9pm - 10pm.  Personally, I've never understood the rather ridiculous habits of we Kiwis who deem that anything that starts before midnight is "not cool".  Or maybe I'm just getting old and tired... LOL
Smile
ibne
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #4 on: 11 July 2008, 11:34:AM »

yeah Antares, I seem to remember that we went out earlier, or is it just that I am an old man now? 
In my memory it seems you often went to a pub around 8, then a club around 10, and were home by 2.

But then it was so much easier to tie your horse up in Queen St in those days...

Life's been good to me so far...
irishkiwi
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #5 on: 11 July 2008, 11:36:AM »

Why dose everyone on here always jump and panic as soon as someone posts half the information? Yes thats right half.

John Banks has already said he doesnt support the idea and it wont happen.

You have enemies?  Good.  That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~Winston Churchill
Mickeydee
Casual Boarder

« Reply #6 on: 11 July 2008, 01:12:PM »

It'll still have to goto the liquor lisencing authority in wellington

Deep in the night, When I hear no sound,
I feel my heartbeat slowing down, My mind's released,
I'm free to wonder, As I sleep.
portmanteau
Addicted Boarder

« Reply #7 on: 11 July 2008, 01:13:PM »

oh, well, that's ok then!

obviously banks is way more important than the police and liquor licensing authority, combined

there is reason to be concerned about it, and without protest it could in fact happen, but I think it is unlikely, unless there were other huge changes to the entire liquor licensing environment at the same time

the horse has already bolted

portmanteau
Addicted Boarder

« Reply #8 on: 11 July 2008, 01:14:PM »

It'll still have to goto the liquor lisencing authority in wellington

...who have already stated that they will respect the wishes of territorial authorites (in this case the Auckland Council) when it comes to them setting policies for their own patch

Matt Akersten
Addicted Boarder

« Reply #9 on: 11 July 2008, 01:25:PM »

Just making it more clear... more info is here (including a comment from the Mayor):

A 3am shut-down for K' Road?

http://www.gaynz.com/articles/publish/35/article_6202.php
siegfriedhans
Addicted Boarder

« Reply #10 on: 11 July 2008, 03:47:PM »

Why dose everyone on here always jump and panic as soon as someone posts half the information? Yes thats right half.

Gee maybe because some of us earn our living in this industry therefore it is something we A; are passionate about, and B: know a little about. It may not matter to a Whangarei schoolteacher, but is entirely relevant to an Auckland dj, or a bar or club owner....

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." Terry Pratchett
irishkiwi
I Sleep Here !

« Reply #11 on: 11 July 2008, 04:15:PM »

It aint going to happen and people are over reacting.

And if John Banks is anything like he used to be, you can bet the police and LLA dont matter.

In fact heres a wee insight into his thinking:

"The police want us to shut the city down. That's not going to happen ... this is an international city".
« Last Edit: 11 July 2008, 04:23:PM by irishkiwi » Logged

You have enemies?  Good.  That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~Winston Churchill
siegfriedhans
Addicted Boarder

« Reply #12 on: 11 July 2008, 04:25:PM »

oh ok then...we are wrong you are right...you are always right...how silly of me...

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." Terry Pratchett
AntaresNZ
Hardcore Boarder

« Reply #13 on: 11 July 2008, 04:25:PM »

And if John Banks is anything like he used to be, you can bet the police and LLA dont matter.

In fact heres a wee insight into his thinking:

"The police want us to shut the city down. That's not going to happen ... this is an international city".

Wow... so the mayor's suddenly a fascist dictator with power over the policing of the country? 

You can be assured that the LLC and the NZ Police DO matter and Mr Banks is merely doing what he does best: administering bluster.  Probably clearing a blockage of some kind, the poor wee man.
portmanteau
Addicted Boarder

« Reply #14 on: 11 July 2008, 06:13:PM »

which is exactly what they said when the idea was mooted in queenstown (could that perhaps be a 'tourist city'), and yet it did happen, and even after it was appealed to the high court I believe it is still in place

you do say some incredibly ill-informed things at times. One could easily be forgiven for thinking that you just like to hear the sound of your own voice (understandable perhaps, in whangarei) - which appears to close down completely at 6pm, btw

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: