Here we bring together some relevant information about unions in New Zealand, including:
- how to establish and administer unions
- the union membership and union rights provisions of the Employment Relations Act
- help with finding the right union to join for your occupation or industry
- a list of currently registered unions.
Who needs this information?
- Anyone who wants to form a union
- Anyone who wants to join a union
- Anyone who wants to know about union membership rights
- Anyone who wants to know about union access rights and other union administrative matters
- Anyone who wants a sample set of union rules
- Anyone who wants to know about what unions have been registered or what unions have applied for registration
Further information & guidance
We welcome the opportunity to help you further. If you can’t find an answer to your question, or you want further clarification, more detailed information or guidance on any matter covered here, try a more detailed search or ask us a question.
back to top
The content of this document covers common problems. It will not answer every question and should not be used as a substitute for legislation or legal advice.
The Department of Labour takes no responsibility for the results of any actions taken on the basis of information on this website, or for any errors or omissions.
Material featured on this site is subject to Crown copyright protection unless otherwise indicated.
The Crown copyright protected material may be reproduced free of charge in any format or media without requiring specific permission. This is subject to the material being reproduced accurately and not being used in a derogatory manner or in a misleading context. Where the material is being published or issued to others, the source and copyright status should be acknowledged.
The permission to reproduce Crown copyright protected material does not extend to any material on this site that is identified as being the copyright of a third party. Authorisation to reproduce such material should be obtained from the copyright holders concerned.
back to top