National Library of New Zealand
Harvested by the National Library of New Zealand on: Jul 3 2006 at 4:42:47 GMT
Search boxes and external links may not function. Having trouble viewing this page? Click here
Close Minimize Help
Wayback Machine

New Zealand Department of Internal Affairs : Services : Other Services Skip to Access Key assignments for this site
Skip to the content of this page
Skip to other pages in this section
Skip to site wide navigation
Skip to links for help with this site
Logo of the New Zealand Department of Internal Affairs



About us

What's new




Other pages in this section

Passports - Uruwhenua

How to Apply for a New Zealand Passport

Photographic Requirements

Passports for Children

Preventing Children Being Taken from New Zealand

Lost or Stolen Passports

Emergency Travel Document

Other Services

Important Notices for New Zealand Passport Holders

How to Contact Us

Return to top of page Content area

Other Services

Refugee Travel Documents and Certificates of Identity
A Refugee Travel Document (RTD) can only be issued to a person who has written confirmation of their refugee status from the New Zealand Immigration Service (NZIS). Please contact Immigration for information regarding applications for refugee status.

A Certificate of Identity (COI) is a travel document issued to a person who is unable to obtain a passport of his or her own nationality. COIs are not usually issued to people whose governments are represented in New Zealand or Australia.

Refugee Travel Documents and Certificates of Identity are only issued to people who are physically present in New Zealand, and can only be issued from our Wellington office. Overseas posts, Embassies and Consulates cannot issue RTDs or COIs. Applications are made on the
Application for Certificate of Identity or Refugee Travel Document form (PAS 5) (pdf* 84kb) and must be accompanied by:
  • Correct fee (this is non-refundable);
  • Fully completed proof of identity section;
  • Identical passport photos taken within the last six months;
  • Passport of country of origin and/or travel document used to enter New Zealand;
  • Previous RTD/COI (if applicable);
  • A letter from NZIS confirming refugee status OR a letter from the applicant's embassy stating why they will not issue a passport (if the applicant's government is represented in Australia or New Zealand);
  • New Zealand Immigration Service residence permit/visa/work permit, and a letter stating the applicant's current immigration status if this has changed since arrival or if their original permit has been lost; and
  • A statutory declaration if the form was completed on the applicant's behalf.
*In order to download and print passport application forms from this website, you will need to have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer. You can download this from the Adobe site.
Extra Visa Pages
From 1 July 2005 extra visa pages will no longer be inserted into passports or travel documents. The withdrawal of this service is part of an ongoing program to enhance the security of the New Zealand passport. The pages are being withdrawn for the following reasons:
  • The extra visa pages are no longer considered a secure addition to the passport.
  • The Department of Internal Affairs has introduced new passport technology and extra visa pages are incompatible with new passport book construction.
  • With the introduction of the 5-year validity passport in April 2005, it has been assessed that the need for additional pages will reduce.
Please note: if your passport has insufficient space to insert visas or entry stamps for upcoming travel, you will need to apply for a new passport.

If you require any further information or clarification, you can contact the Passport Office.

Due to a change in legislation, the Passport Office can no longer print name endorsements in a New Zealand passport or travel document. The
Passports Amendments Act 2005 came into effect on 21 April 2005. By law, we are unable to process any application for a name endorsement received after this date.

Passports can now only be issued showing one name. If the name you intended to have endorsed is the name you want to appear in your passport, you will need to apply for a new passport. The name must meet the necessary criteria for inclusion on the bio-data page of the passport, and may require supporting documentation.

If you require any further information or clarification, you can contact the Passport Office.

Site map



Contact us

Email us

Return to top of page

Last updated: 24/05/2006