Gazetted Casino Game Rules
Certificates of Approval for Casino Employees
Funding For Community Groups
Gaming Licence Fees
Gaming Activities That do not Need a Licence
Sales Promotion Schemes
Raffles with prizes of NZ$500 or less
Gaming on the Internet
How to Contact Us
Gaming Licence Fees
All amounts below are inclusive of GST. All payments should be by cheque and made payable to the Department of Internal Affairs. Please do not send cash through the mail.
The fees for gaming machine applications are made up of:
- Licence Application Fees
- Gaming Machine Fees
- Problem Gambling Levy.
Licence Application Fees
Application fees are non-refundable.
- New Licence Application Fee
- Renewal Licence Application Fee
- Amendment Licence Application Fee
Gaming Machine Fees
Gaming machine fees are NZ$250.00 per machine per year:
Problem Gambling Levy
- When you apply for a new licence or to renew your licence you must pay gaming machine fees of NZ$250.00 per machine per year.
- When you apply to amend your licence the proportion of the gaming machine fee that you have to pay will depend on the number of full months left on your current licence (see amendment guide and calculator below).
Parliament has set the problem gambling levy to cover the transition from the present system for managing problem gambling, run by the Problem Gambling Committee, to the new Ministry of Health system under the Gambling Act. The new system will be in force from 1 July 2004.
Before 1 July 2004, you still pay the gambling levy to the Department of Internal Affairs. The amount you have to pay depends on the number of gaming machines you operate and when an existing licence expires or a new licence is issued.
Please contact the Gaming Compliance Unit or telephone us toll free on 0800 257 887 and we will work out what the problem gambling levy will be for your society. A table to help you calculate this is on the Remittance Advice form. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.
From 1 July 2004, the Inland Revenue Department, which already collects the gaming duty, will collect the problem gambling levy. The new problem gambling levy will no longer be based on the number of machines your society owns but, instead, will be based on the profits you make from your gaming machines.
Gaming Machine Amendment Guide
Remember that you must always pay the amendment licence application fee of NZ$517.00.
The amount of gaming machine fees and problem gambling levy that you will pay depends on:
Adding or removing machines:
- The number of machines that you are adding or removing.
- The number of whole months left on your licence.
- Increasing machines: Work out the number of whole months left until your licence expires then calculate how much you need to pay.
- Decreasing machines: You may be entitled to refund of a proportional amount of the gaming machine fees and problem gambling levy that you have already paid. The Gaming Compliance Unit will arrange a refund for you.
- No change: If the number of machines is staying the same then you only need to pay the NZ$517.00 amendment licence application fee.
For help in calculating your amendment application, contact the Gaming Compliance Unit or phone us on Freephone 0800 257 887.
- The gaming machine fee and problem gambling levy that you pay is calculated on the number of whole months remaining on your licence.
Please note that only a portion of these fees are refundable:
Fees are GST inclusive. Please make your payment by cheque, made payable to the Department of Internal Affairs. Please do not send cash. If you want help, contact the Gaming Compliance Unit or phone us toll free on 0800 257 887.
- New Housie Part 1 Licence
- Renewal Housie Part 1 Licence
- Amendment Housie Part 1 Licence
- New Housie Part 2 Licence
- Renewal Housie Part 2 Licence
- Amendment Housie Part 2 Licence
Please note that these fees are non-refundable:
Fees are GST inclusive. Please make your payment by cheque, made payable to the Department of Internal Affairs. Please do not send cash through the mail. If you want help, contact the Gaming Compliance Unit or phone us toll free on 0800 257 887.