National Library of New Zealand
Harvested by the National Library of New Zealand on: Apr 25 2004 at 20:53:30 GMT
Search boxes and external links may not function. Having trouble viewing this page? Click here
Close Minimize Help
Wayback Machine
Department of Internal Affairs : Services : Becoming a Marriage Celebrant Skip to Access Key assignments for this site
Skip to the content of this page
Skip to other pages in this section
Skip to site wide navigation
Skip to links for help with this site
Logo of the New Zealand Department of Internal Affairs



About us

What's new


Online forms


Other pages in this section

Register a Birth, Death or Marriage

Get a Birth, Death or Marriage Certificate

Birth Certificates and Adoption

How to Get a Marriage Licence

Getting Married Overseas

Becoming a Marriage Celebrant

Changing a Name

Finding Family History Records

Births, Deaths and Marriages: Frequently Asked Questions

How to Contact Us

Return to top of page Content area

Becoming a Marriage Celebrant

Click here for Maori language version

(Statement on the use of macrons)

Application for Appointment

If you wish to become a Marriage Celebrant please post your expression of interest to Births, Deaths and Marriages, ensuring you include:
  • Your name
  • Phone number
  • Postal address
  • Email address
  • If you belong to a church or organisation, its name; or
  • If you which to be a civil celebrant (a person appointed solely on the basis of community service and independent from a church or religious organisation); and
  • Any other relevant details that you wish to include
Once our office receives your expression of interest, you will be contacted by post.

As part of the appointment process a Registrar of Marriages may interview you.

There is no charge for appointment.

New Zealand has a large number of Marriage Celebrants already in place. In your expression of interest please state clearly why an additional appointment may be necessary in the locality you reside.

Please note that holding other positions of responsibility (such as being a Justice of the Peace), or completing a Certificate in Celebrant Studies at Auckland University of Technology, does not automatically entitle you to be appointed as a marriage celebrant.

As an approved Marriage Celebrant your name will be published in the New Zealand Gazette.

Return to top of page
Links for help with this site

Site map



Contact us

Email us

Return to top of page

Last updated: 27/01/2004