National Library of New Zealand
Harvested by the National Library of New Zealand on: Apr 25 2004 at 20:53:30 GMT
Search boxes and external links may not function. Having trouble viewing this page? Click here
Close Minimize Help
Wayback Machine
Department of Internal Affairs : Services : Register a Birth, Death or Marriage Skip to Access Key assignments for this site
Skip to the content of this page
Skip to other pages in this section
Skip to site wide navigation
Skip to links for help with this site
Logo of the New Zealand Department of Internal Affairs



About us

What's new


Online forms


Other pages in this section

Register a Birth, Death or Marriage

Get a Birth, Death or Marriage Certificate

Birth Certificates and Adoption

How to Get a Marriage Licence

Getting Married Overseas

Becoming a Marriage Celebrant

Changing a Name

Finding Family History Records

Births, Deaths and Marriages: Frequently Asked Questions

How to Contact Us

Return to top of page Content area

Register a Birth, Death or Marriage

Click here for Maori language version

(Statement on the use of macrons)

The Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages registers and holds a national record of all births, deaths and marriages that occurred in New Zealand.

Registering a Birth
By law, every New Zealand birth must be registered as soon as possible. It is the first official step that confirms your child as a New Zealand citizen, with the exception of diplomats and persons connected with a consular post having immunity from jurisdiction. Once registered, a birth certificate is available as an official record. Birth registration is free.

How to Register
A 'Notification of Birth for Registration' form is generally provided to the parent(s) shortly after the birth. If you have not received a form within a few weeks of the birth of your child, or you have any difficulty completing the form, please contact us.

When you have completed the form, please return it to:

Births, Deaths and Marriages
PO Box 31203
Lower Hutt
New Zealand

Birth Certificates
If you would like a birth certificate for your child you can request one when you send us the registration form, or at any time after the birth has been registered. If you would like to order the certificate with the registration, please complete the order section of the registration form, and include the certificate fee of NZ$26.00.

See Get a Birth, Death or Marriage Certificate for information on applying for a certificate after registration.

Registering a Death
The law requires that all deaths in New Zealand are registered within three working days after the burial or cremation of the body. Death registration is free.

If a funeral director is in charge of funeral arrangements, he or she will collect all of the information required for registration and forward it to Births, Deaths and Marriages.

Where no funeral director is involved, the person in charge of the funeral arrangements is responsible for notifying Births, Deaths and Marriages about the death.

How to Register
Within three days of the burial or cremation two forms must be sent to us. They are:
  • A Notification of Death for Registration form (BDM 28). This form covers personal information about the deceased.
  • And either a Medical Certificate of Cause of Death from a doctor, or an order from a coroner.

You can contact us on Freephone (NZ) 0800 22 52 52 to arrange to have a form (BDM 28) sent to you.

The address to send these forms to is:

Births, Deaths and Marriages
PO Box 31203
Lower Hutt
New Zealand

Death Certificates
The person in charge of the funeral arrangements can request a Death Certificate when they send us the Death Registration form by completing the order section of the form and including the certificate fee of NZ$26.00.

Once the death has been registered, a death certificate can be issued. See Get a Birth, Death or Marriage Certificate.

Registering a Marriage
After your marriage takes place, your marriage celebrant will forward all necessary papers to Births, Deaths and Marriages to register your marriage. There is no need for you to contact us.

Particulars of Marriage Form and Marriage Certificate
At your wedding, you will sign two copies of a form called 'Particulars of Marriage'. One copy will be returned by the marriage celebrant to the Registrar who issued your marriage licence so that the marriage can be registered. The other copy will be given to you as a record of your marriage.

Marriage Certificates
After your marriage you may need a formal document to confirm the details and legal validity of your marriage. You may use the copy of the 'Particulars of Marriage' for this purpose. However, as the copy of the Particulars of Marriage is a unique record of the wedding day, with the signatures of the bride and groom on it, many couples prefer to purchase a marriage certificate obtained from Births, Deaths and Marriages for general use.

For further information see How To Get A Marriage Licence.

Return to top of page
Links for help with this site

Site map



Contact us

Email us

Return to top of page

Last updated: 13/11/2003